U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2008, 07:24 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,332,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
Jessy: The Beltsville shopping center is before the Laurel mall its on the same main street which I think is Route1. I been there a few times. They are not finish building as yet. I know the condos are still getting build.

I love the new communities vs older homes. Theirs a look a new style home have that a older home does not have. The newer communities are well planned vs the older communities. I promise myself I will never purchase a older home. If its not new I do not want it unless its free.
Its at the intersection of Contee and Route 1. It is in Laurel, not Beltsville. They have finished the shopping center but its nothing to brag about. It has a Shoppers, a PetSmart, a tobacco shop, and some other small stores. It also some chain restuarants. The condos behind it are huge and, in my opinion, hideous.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 10:09 PM

1,389 posts, read 5,672,080 times
Like I said its not completed. Across the street as well wil as get develope. SOme would consider the area beltville area its close to the MVA.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:21 PM

415 posts, read 1,777,368 times
They might, but they'd be wrong...
Sounds like every other shopping center in PG County... Whoopee!!!

Old 01-17-2008, 05:21 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,332,261 times
My point exactly. Its just another strip mall in an already congested intersection. Nothing extraordinary, or upscale. Across the street has been cleared. It used to be the property of one of the historic mansions in the area. Luckily, the mansion is still standing. Unfortunately, it is privately owned and needs major renovation. I hope it doesn't become a victim of progress and get bulldozed.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:06 AM

932 posts, read 1,493,840 times
hey truthhurts, I recognize a house in one of the picture from Woodmore Club. I have been in numerous there numerous times. The family that owns it is black and they own a limo company along with something to do with microsoft.(High school friends of my moms) You have to see the inside, its amazing. Those houses over there are beautiful. Some of my family memebers also belong to the country club!

Old 01-17-2008, 10:06 AM

969 posts, read 2,459,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
Surrounding the FED EX field will be single family,townhomes and upscale condos with upscale shopping and dining.
Upscale? In LANDOVER? That should be interesting

Old 01-19-2008, 05:48 PM

12,553 posts, read 18,926,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
Its at the intersection of Contee and Route 1. It is in Laurel, not Beltsville. They have finished the shopping center but its nothing to brag about. It has a Shoppers, a PetSmart, a tobacco shop, and some other small stores. It also some chain restuarants. The condos behind it are huge and, in my opinion, hideous.
I don't think it is within the city limits of Laurel, so that may be the reason for the confusion.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:18 AM

563 posts, read 783,752 times
The outer looks like the inner. The horrid crime stats are for all P.G. county and with over 13,000 car thefts a year those criminals are getting around with no problems. If you're a respectable citizen, take care of your family and aren't a criminal, move to a surrounding jurisdiction. If that doesn't describe yourself then the outer beltway of P.G. is great! I suggest that's were you go!!!

Old 01-20-2008, 03:56 PM

746 posts, read 611,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post
The outer looks like the inner. The horrid crime stats are for all P.G. county and with over 13,000 car thefts a year those criminals are getting around with no problems. If you're a respectable citizen, take care of your family and aren't a criminal, move to a surrounding jurisdiction. If that doesn't describe yourself then the outer beltway of P.G. is great! I suggest that's were you go!!!

Doubltunman, thanks for challenging this. I'll provide the statistics to see if this is true or just your racist belief. Have you ever stopped to wonder why the outside of the beltway is crime free and safe? Racist, like you that throw around these sorts of allegations are the main reason i post facts.

Homicide Information

Total 121 in 2007

Inner Beltway
Outer Beltway

Location of Homicides and Percentage Inside of the Beltway

Oxon Hill/Glassmanor 20 or 20.8% of all murders inside the beltway occure here
Suitland SilverHill 11 or 11.4% of all murders inside the beltway occure here
District Heights/Capital Heights 12 or 12.5% of all murders inside the beltway occure here
Seat Pleasant/Fairmont Heights/Glenarden/Palmer Park 22 or 22.9% of all murders inside the beltway occure here
Bladensburg/Mont Rainer/Landover Hills/Riverdale/ 19 or 19% of all murders inside the beltway occure here
Chillum/Hyattsville 4 or 4% of all murders inside the beltway occure here
Langley Park 8 or 8.3% of all murders inside the beltway occure here

Total 96 Murders or 80% of all murders

Location of Murders Outside of the Beltway

Laurel 4 or 16% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here
Beltsville 1 or 4% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here
Calvert 1 or 4% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here
Greenbelt 1 or 4% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here
Lahnham 2 or 8% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here
Springdale 2 or 8% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here
Largo/Kettering 3 or 12% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here
Freindly 3 or 12% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here
Clinton 6 or 24% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here
Marlton 1 (suicide) or 4% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here
Rosaryville 1 (suicide) or 4% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here
Upper Marlboro 1 or 4% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here
Bowie 2 or 8% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here
Accokeek 1 or 4% of all murders outside of the beltway occure here

Total 25 or 20% of all murders

Poverty Rates of Inner Beltway

Oxon Hill/Glassmanor/Temple Hills 8.8% in poverty
Suitland SilverHill 10.7% in poverty
District Heights/Capital Heights Seat Pleasant/FairmontHeights/Glenarden/Palmer Park 9.3% in poverty
Bladensburg/Mont Rainer/Landover Hills/Riverdale/ 11.8% in poverty
Chillum/Hyattsville 10.2% in poverty
Langley Park 16.8% in poverty

Prince George’s County Maryland crime maps

I guess after reading most of the forums in relation to Prince George's County why is it that you all want to lump all of the Counyt into one poverty striken hell hole?

From reading it seems a lot of the people grew up in a lot of the poor areas and had awful experiences, which is probably to be expected. However, why is it that you all think your experience is representative of everyone's in the county? Why haven't you stopped and thought to yourself I grew up poor, in a high crime area? Why is it always point the finger at the entire county and blame everyone? Why not grapple with the truth. If you grew up in the ghettos of the inner beltway did you expect it not to be crime ridden and awful?

Why do you all punish the group of families that did not grow up in the ghetto's of the inner beltway? Why do you punish the families that grew up well off in a totally different part of the county (outer beltway) than you all? Clearly there are obviously two completely different worlds, that exist in this county. It is a bit sad, but its America. The difference in how the wealthiest 5% of the county live versus how the poorest 5% in the county live is mind bloggling.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:03 PM

29,462 posts, read 33,699,747 times
Time to bring this out again. Just zoom in and see the details.

Murders in Maryland and D.C., 2007

It shows all the murders in Maryland for 2007

Zoom into PG county and compare in and out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland