U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-29-2008, 04:22 PM
 
29,465 posts, read 33,777,147 times
Reputation: 11106

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I agree and I don't think this is being acknowledged. Poor Blacks are "coming up" in the world. Many are becoming more educated, earning better salaries, etc. Some choose to move outside of the Beltway...some prefer to stay close to what they've always known.
As they accomplish the things you mention they no longer are poor. That is upward mobility and that is and should be the goal. Out of poverty and into the middle class and higher. Many of us came from poverty and into a much better economic status. Once educated you are removed from uneducated classification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-29-2008, 05:02 PM
 
1,389 posts, read 5,681,232 times
Reputation: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
You must have never heard of peer pressure and the whole negative pressure to not act white. Do a google search on negative peer pressure and the challenge that motivated African American young people face. The documentation and discussions are plentiful. Just ask Cosby and Toussaint. I find it incredible that you are not familiar with Gangsta Rap as a music genre. Crips and Bloods are not Thug Culture? Don't snitch isn't Thug Culture?

Thug Culture - Google Search

Your questioning of my statement leaves me in awe but then at this point very little suprises me. However to suggest I am ignorant of reality is really quite laughable if you only knew. But then you won't.

As far as my scenario being far fetched you must not talk to many parents of Black teens who are successful and wanting to keep their kids on track.
negative black peer pressure - Google Search
Remembe it's 12:00 do you know where your children are? Who they are with?

shaker heights black student achievement - Google Search

Sorry but my ignorance is born of experience, reading and having a clue.

Our difference is not one of ignorance on either part but one of different perspective and choices.
Clearly I am not alone in my opinion as you need only study real estate and home values and see that there are many who share that perspective. Clearly here, there and every where the percentage of free and reduced meal students in a given school impacts home values. Please don't call those folks ignorant because they have a different perspective then you. Please feel free to associate and live your life as you wish and allow others to do the same. That is enlightment.
Gangsters are in all race. Now these white people who are shooting up mall and white students who are shooting up their schools in my eyes are gangsters. The Mafia are white they are gangsters. Now as far as Peer pressure its worst in the white race. White teens commit suicide at a faster rate then any race due to Peer Pressure. Whites have their issues as well so please do not paint this perfect picture for whites and this dark picture for Blacks. White teens are know for doing drugs,alchol or prescription pills at a younger age then any other race. peer pressure is in the white race then any other race. You talk about rap music, rap music is a fantasy just like these white actors such as Tom cruise who is known for killing in movies,doing drugs in movies. In my opinion Rap music is no difference then these white Hollywood actors who for yrs have these murder roles but yet we excuse actors an only blame rappers. These white teens who see Brittney Spears who is crazy,wears no underwears,wears no clothes and white teens look up to these white hollywood people for inspiration and no one talk about this. How about Brittney spears little sister who is also famous. She is 16 yrs old pregnant and the father is 20 yrs old. Now she is a sinlge teen mother yet white teens look up to her. We have Paris Hilton I can go on and on but everyone forget about the whites in Hollywood who is playing a bigger part in ruin teenagers life then Rappers. How offen to you see a rapper on a news cover then we see these white sluts. America glorify then as if they are gold but we down grade all type of rap music. I guess its ok for a 16 yr old white student to walk around with no underwear and sleep around with whom ever then a Black student who listen to Rap music and is on the honor roll. If you are talking about the negative impact of Rap music we need to talk about the entire Hollywood industry where people thinks been a blonde **** is cute and it will take you places in Life. Juliet Roberts became well known for her role in pretty Women, where she played an prostitute which is consider a classic movie. We are glorifing Prostitution. The God father the movie,Its about the Mafia,drugs,sex,murdering and this is a classic movie. Yet we down grade Rap music when its just an reflection of the movie industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2008, 06:15 PM
 
29,465 posts, read 33,777,147 times
Reputation: 11106
Default Here you go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
Gangsters are in all race. Now these white people who are shooting up mall and white students who are shooting up their schools in my eyes are gangsters. The Mafia are white they are gangsters. Now as far as Peer pressure its worst in the white race. White teens commit suicide at a faster rate then any race due to Peer Pressure. Whites have their issues as well so please do not paint this perfect picture for whites and this dark picture for Blacks. White teens are know for doing drugs,alchol or prescription pills at a younger age then any other race. peer pressure is in the white race then any other race. You talk about rap music, rap music is a fantasy just like these white actors such as Tom cruise who is known for killing in movies,doing drugs in movies. In my opinion Rap music is no difference then these white Hollywood actors who for yrs have these murder roles but yet we excuse actors an only blame rappers. These white teens who see Brittney Spears who is crazy,wears no underwears,wears no clothes and white teens look up to these white hollywood people for inspiration and no one talk about this. How about Brittney spears little sister who is also famous. She is 16 yrs old pregnant and the father is 20 yrs old. Now she is a sinlge teen mother yet white teens look up to her. We have Paris Hilton I can go on and on but everyone forget about the whites in Hollywood who is playing a bigger part in ruin teenagers life then Rappers. How offen to you see a rapper on a news cover then we see these white sluts. America glorify then as if they are gold but we down grade all type of rap music. I guess its ok for a 16 yr old white student to walk around with no underwear and sleep around with whom ever then a Black student who listen to Rap music and is on the honor roll. If you are talking about the negative impact of Rap music we need to talk about the entire Hollywood industry where people thinks been a blonde **** is cute and it will take you places in Life. Juliet Roberts became well known for her role in pretty Women, where she played an prostitute which is consider a classic movie. We are glorifing Prostitution. The God father the movie,Its about the Mafia,drugs,sex,murdering and this is a classic movie. Yet we down grade Rap music when its just an reflection of the movie industry.
Iscalder the issue is economics not race. Yes much of what you say is true. Aren't you the one in the gated community whio wants to move poor people out of PG? Can you maintain the same position for more then 33 minutes? Do you argue with anything just to argue? Are you a real person or is your name symbolic of something and you just like to post to stir things up. Parents are concerned about negative peer pressure from anywhere and anyone. YOU are the one who took this thread down the path of using public policy to rid the county of poor people. Are your post so poorly written most of the time that when you go back and read them even you are confused? Yes my friend I said GANGSTA RAP to differentiate it from other forms of rap that don't glorify crime.
Peace and lets let this go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2008, 06:19 PM
 
29,465 posts, read 33,777,147 times
Reputation: 11106
Default Fyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
I have to say I agree with you on this one. I have stated plenty of times on the forum Pg county is in the process of getting rid of majority of the section8I am not sure if you have been to FED EX field but those apartments close to the field are all apart of the plan to rebuild LandOver Mall. The county will Bull doze the apartments behind old Land Over mall and all the shopping centers around Fed EX field. The apartments that are remaining will be upscale condos. The county will also build single familiy and Townhomes. The Old LandOver mall will look similar to Down Town Bethesda. The county so far is giving out less governemnt assistant then they did before and thecounty have increase property taxes. I know some apartments in Suitland and Forrestville have already been torn down so far but they will bull doze others. Pg county government is pushing the lower income and criminals to Charles County,Baltimore City and County some are also mvoing to Howard and AA county. Montgomery County is handing out governement assistant like its candy so a lot of Pg county lower income families are moving to Montgomery county for the government assistant.
I think many agree with you Iscalder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2008, 06:24 PM
 
29,465 posts, read 33,777,147 times
Reputation: 11106
Default Ouch isn't that radical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
Its not obsurd,other counties have been doing this for yrs including DC. Remember when Dc was majority poor,where are the poors now? Montgomery is well known for moving poors out and increasing the county with more Affulent families. So Pg county is not the first to do something like this. NOVA is also known for doing this as well. Its called increasing property tax,bringing in higher commercial development. The county is not moving taking the lower income familes out of their house. The county is not requesting them to move. The county is just increasing its standard. The county is getting rid of the criminals and the crimes out of the county. Its about time PG County government clean up the crimes and shipping the crimes out of the county.


People are confused because I see plenty of post where people have problems with the crimes in Pg county but when the county is doing their best fixing the issues. People post No the county should leave the crimes in Pg county an dnot do anything but yet those same people are the ones complaining about the crimes in Pg county. Well I say get rid of all the criminals and crimes out of Pg county. The ones who have issues with Pg county getting rid of the crimes and criminals out of the county are the ones who do not live in the county and do not want the crimes or criminals in their community.
Who are these people you want to ship out and what kind of music do they listen to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2008, 06:26 PM
 
29,465 posts, read 33,777,147 times
Reputation: 11106
Default Fish you are wrong about Iscalder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfister View Post
I think Truth and Iscalder are tripping on some strong conservative republican industrial byproducts resulting in pompous and pious nose-in-the-air attitudes towards humanity as a whole.
Tax is one of the reasons the USA revolted against the British crown in the late 18th century. I keep reading suggestions of property taxes being pushed to heights that will limit the county to becoming a hopeful aristocracy.

Why should I pay exuberant property taxes for a home I own? I do not want to support the infrastructure of the rest of the state when the immediate is crumbling. This becomes a matter of stealing from the natives with plans of supplanting them. High tax rates and big houses are not the measure of one's success or self worth. File that mindset under vanity.

Once again I was labeled as a LIBERAL by Truth. Is the Hitler youth movement influence so strong up there that any opinion other than yours is to be called the worse in your mindset and kicked to the curb?
How about the word HUMAN?
I am more constitutional than either of the two standard political parties.

Am I a liberal or am I a realist? I live in the human world and am not afraid to touch it.

Iscalder, I have no idea where Fish got this idea from. You are keeping it real and a strong advocate for the disenfranchised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2008, 08:15 PM
 
217 posts, read 687,062 times
Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Iscalder, I have no idea where Fish got this idea from. You are keeping it real and a strong advocate for the disenfranchised.
Tuborg,
You wonk as much as Iscalder does for the sake of argument.

I hold to preventing an elitist mindset - be they black, white, yellow or brown - evolve and that higher taxation is not the way to utopia as in the long run it will cripple those that benefit from it initially. Who will the elitists lean on then?
If you live in this county you well know that taxation is beyond reality. Maryland enjoys some of the highest taxes in the USA. Ask Mr Facts to look that one up. Excessive taxation only pays those that receive the tax collected.

As far as the disenfranchised...Iscalder is the worse example for their champion you could ever hope to suggest. She would rather round them up and ship them in cattle cars to the southwest so they are out of sight and out of mind. She is fascist in her belief that they are all criminal bearing scum that infringe on her sunny slice of life. Let another county or state care for them.

You are all blind fools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2008, 09:06 PM
 
1,389 posts, read 5,681,232 times
Reputation: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfister View Post
Tuborg,
You wonk as much as Iscalder does for the sake of argument.

I hold to preventing an elitist mindset - be they black, white, yellow or brown - evolve and that higher taxation is not the way to utopia as in the long run it will cripple those that benefit from it initially. Who will the elitists lean on then?
If you live in this county you well know that taxation is beyond reality. Maryland enjoys some of the highest taxes in the USA. Ask Mr Facts to look that one up. Excessive taxation only pays those that receive the tax collected.

As far as the disenfranchised...Iscalder is the worse example for their champion you could ever hope to suggest. She would rather round them up and ship them in cattle cars to the southwest so they are out of sight and out of mind. She is fascist in her belief that they are all criminal bearing scum that infringe on her sunny slice of life. Let another county or state care for them.

You are all blind fools.
Did you not read my post, did you missed the line where I said the county need to get rid of the criminals. I know not all poors are criminals. I want the good citizens of Pg county to stay in the county. I want to the criminals out of the county. No one was arguing when Montogmery county got rid of their crimes or poor and ship it to Pg county. No one was arguing when DC ship their crimes or poor to Pg county but now people want to argue when Pg county is getting rid of the criminals. Why didn't Montgomery county develope a county program for their poor,criminals instead of increasing the property tax,over developing the county and increasing rent. How about Dc. Dc was majority black now Dc is majority white. Why didn't people stand up for the poor or criminals in DC instead of letting both Montgomery and Dc ship them into Pg county. Pg county governement keep on doing what you are doing by developing the areas that need help,increase property value,increasing police force and improving our school system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2008, 09:22 PM
 
1,851 posts, read 2,915,655 times
Reputation: 2346
Thumbs up Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfister View Post
Tuborg,
You wonk as much as Iscalder does for the sake of argument.

I hold to preventing an elitist mindset - be they black, white, yellow or brown - evolve and that higher taxation is not the way to utopia as in the long run it will cripple those that benefit from it initially. Who will the elitists lean on then?
If you live in this county you well know that taxation is beyond reality. Maryland enjoys some of the highest taxes in the USA. Ask Mr Facts to look that one up. Excessive taxation only pays those that receive the tax collected.

As far as the disenfranchised...Iscalder is the worse example for their champion you could ever hope to suggest. She would rather round them up and ship them in cattle cars to the southwest so they are out of sight and out of mind. She is fascist in her belief that they are all criminal bearing scum that infringe on her sunny slice of life. Let another county or state care for them.

You are all blind fools.
Fish, again, you and I are in agreement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2008, 09:49 PM
 
1,851 posts, read 2,915,655 times
Reputation: 2346
Lightbulb Excellent Point ChocLot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I really think it's sad that, for many, the solution to PG County is "pushing" poor people out. Since when has being poor become synonymous with never-ending thoughts of evil-doing? Since when is it okay to separate a group of people based on their low socio-economic status?

Moving the problem around WILL NOT SOLVE IT. How about lobbying for better education, health, housing policies, etc??...solutions that will CURE the problem rather than simply get it out of sight.
You know ChocLot, you've made some very valid points. Do you think that a lot of today's affluent AAs find themselves "lost" in the overall affluency of the well-known AAs in society?

I mean, think about this. There are more affluent AAs that are very well known by all cultures, internationally, then ever before. Most television shows are now multicultural, interracial relationships on the screen are not taboo anymore. So in a sense, America has been desensitized to some images of AAs. For example, I can remember in my childhood there were very, very few commercials that featured AAs, especially in a positive way. Now, I'm not that "shocked" when one comes on. It's just that much more common.

So, I think when there are debates and discussions on these forums about wealth and class, it has to do with the fact that many newly wealthy AAs who are not in the "lime light" or who cannot attain the same free publicity like Denzel and Oprah, about their wealth, that they feel, I don't know, ignored; lost; invisible, maybe?

If they weren't so arrogant with their wealth and material things as to abase those who are less fortunate, then I wouldn't feel this way, but the fact that they are, tells me that they may feel slighted by that of the larger, growing wealth of more publicly known AAs.

It seems that there is an essential need for some, especially on some of these forums, to clearly separate themselves from those AAs they feel are poor, embarrassing and inferior to them. It is at times a twisted form of intraracism and self-hate, IMO.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top