U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 08:46 AM

746 posts, read 612,762 times

Advertisements

Well, since many have inquired the difference between the inner beltway in PGC, which is poor, lower middle class, and crime ridden vs the outer beltway in PGC, which is affluent, crime free, and nice. I've gone to the trouble to find a site that shows most if not all of the developed neighborhoods outside of the beltway. I know a lot wondered why there were so many outer beltway neighborhoods listed in the top 100 wealtheist places in Maryland, well, here's why.

You can view the entire PDF file, but if you want to see what most of the neighborhoods look like there pictures and a brief of each of the communities outside of the beltway starts on page 8.

http://www.pgcedc.com/files/pdfs/PGCstudy_21-40.pdf (broken link)

Almost all of the neighborhoods in the Top 100 in Maryland found in PGC are included in this PDF.

Hopes this helps make these discussions a little more "fair and balanced."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 04:31 PM

217 posts, read 686,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
Well, since many have inquired the difference between the inner beltway in PGC, which is poor, lower middle class, and crime ridden vs the outer beltway in PGC, which is affluent, crime free, and nice. I've gone to the trouble to find a site that shows most if not all of the developed neighborhoods outside of the beltway. I know a lot wondered why there were so many outer beltway neighborhoods listed in the top 100 wealtheist places in Maryland, well, here's why.

You can view the entire PDF file, but if you want to see what most of the neighborhoods look like there pictures and a brief of each of the communities outside of the beltway starts on page 8.

http://www.pgcedc.com/files/pdfs/PGCstudy_21-40.pdf (broken link)

Almost all of the neighborhoods in the Top 100 in Maryland found in PGC are included in this PDF.

Hopes this helps make these discussions a little more "fair and balanced."
Smack yourself across the face for me a few times...

If someone inquired of India would you post a picture of the Taj Mahal and let that tell the entirety of it??

Be realistic - those pictures were but a sampling of the high dollar developments in the general Upper Marlboro area. Could you include a shot of the 75+ year old houses that line many of the byways in the county?
Every automobile commercial shows the maxed out models while touting the lowest prices.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfister View Post
Smack yourself across the face for me a few times...

If someone inquired of India would you post a picture of the Taj Mahal and let that tell the entirety of it??

Be realistic - those pictures were but a sampling of the high dollar developments in the general Upper Marlboro area. Could you include a shot of the 75+ year old houses that line many of the byways in the county?
Every automobile commercial shows the maxed out models while touting the lowest prices.
Would it have been less acurate if I was describing Potomac, MD or Great Falls, VA via pictures and i only included the majority of affluent houses and left all the 75 year old farm houses, tractors, and tiny houses off the list? You clearly live on the inner side of the beltway and are very angry about it, that is not my issue, that is something you need to discuss with your family perhaps you should move? I'm starting a few forums, so that the arguments are balanced and look at how you hate mongers respond you all should be ashmed of yourselves. You use false data, so i corrected you all and brought you the facts, so the debates could run fairly, but now you all are angry, because i bring truth?

Fish, where have i not just laid out the facts regardless or my opinion? The problem is the people that falsly went around bashing the entire county and i'll admit i was one of them, but after going through the facts i've realized i wrong to bash the entire county and the problem is really simple in terms of PGC the inner beltway.

Now, that's not to say i'd ever live there regardless, because I do not like the poor performing schools or the large numbeer of poor people that live there. I also do not like what i consider to be "militant blacks", but that is more of my personally view, so others may not share that particular one, but i'm not going to sit here like a lot of you and trash the entire area with lies.

PS I did have to laugh when you compared PGC to India a third world country perhaps in the part of the county you live in it resembles a third world country, but i've realized now, that it is not the majority of the county.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:20 AM

1,389 posts, read 5,676,634 times
The picute you posted is what 99.9% of bowie and other city in Pg county looks like. Their are plenty of communities in Pg county that will blow those pictures away. people say Howard is for wealthy people or Affulent people when Pg county have a higher percentage of wealthy,Affulent families then all the other counties in Maryland except Montgomery. I do think its race America is not ready to recognize affuent AA. Pg county is the only county in Maryland with the highest penatration of AA and we are the second wealthiest county in Maryland with the second highest income,wealth but yet some people on here without knowing the true facts will place other counties with the such as Howard, AA county as wealthier or even have more Affulent families when the tur fact is Pg county blow these two county away with wealth and Affulent families and communities.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:54 PM

I'm not so sure about that Iscalder I think to be honest you both make accurate statements, but the pictures display how most of the people in those areas live outside of teh beltway. It would be dishonest and non facctual for me to have put up 75 year old farm houses in Upper Marlboro as that's not where the majority of residents in those areas live. It would have equally been dishonest if i put up McMansion pics when speaking of the inner beltway hence why i entitled the topic "here's what the outer beltway in PG looks like." As i've said before they are two completely different areas. The only thing they seem to have in common is the race of the people.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:47 PM

7,076 posts, read 10,837,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfister View Post
Wow, they must have rebuilt the PG County that I remember.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:48 AM

The outer belt way is getting billions of dollars face lift. Areas such as Landover in the next 1-3 yrs will be completely different. CHanges are happening now so to say their are no Mcmansions in the outer belt way is wrong. PG coutny is nothing but Mc mansions now. When ever a builder decides to build in pg county the minimum sqare feet per house is 3500 sqaure feet with at least1/4 acre minimum.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:26 AM

Actually, i'm starting to wonder if a lot of the people that came in posting a lot of the information were actually racist or bigoted. It would seem many were just ill informed. The one's that are getting angry at me now for posting the facts are clearly racist, but what i'm starting to realize is that most people have no clue what the actual information is. Most feel if they live in a crap hole in a county everyone must live in the same crap hole.

Access to information is access to the truth, so you have no reason to be uninformed and believe the media propaganda machine. It seems a lot of the hate mongers in terms of PG have a specific image of black people and regardless of affluence they cannot seem to bring themselves to the poin to acknoweledge that there are "affluent" blacks and places that are predomonitely affluent and black. This not onlly goes for whites, but blacks as well. It is wicked hard to change someone's preception an attitude even when you present them with the facts. Information will set you free and help you make better judgements, that is what i'm attempting to provide.

Facts
PG extremely wealthy areas (2nd most in the state)
PG has a horrible public schools system
PG also lacks any of the upscale shopping of Moco or Fairfax
PG has the largest and cheapest houses of both affluent areas (you can get more bang for the buck)
PG has the lowest price appreciation of the affluent areas (you loose the price appreciation you could have gotten in another county)

When armed with this information you can make the right decisions. Do i want a 6,000 sq foot house in a very affluent area in PG, because I can afford it? What are the trade offs? Well, i'll have to give up fine dinning, shopping, and a great public school system for my children. If the big house is all that satisfies you then you'd go for it.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:32 PM

Truthhurts:You make some excellent point but what people forget is that the county is changing for better as a matter of fact the county has already increase their school budget. As a matter of fact pg county as of last school year spend the most money per child then any county in maryland. The county have also build new schools,add plenty of new programs one is all elementary schools in pg county have pre-k.

As of upscale shopping right now we do lack that but as of April Pg county will be the only county on the entire east coast with amenities no county or NoVA can offer. We will be th eonly county with upscale stores,dining that do not exist on the east coast. Pg county will have the most desirable restaurants in one location that can not be found in no other county or state on the east coast. As for house pricing pg county is not cheap as you think it is. Howard county housing is cheaper then Pg county so is AA county. No Pg county so not have the lowest appreciation you are right with your other data but with Real Estate I think you are wrong with that information. How can we have the lowest when we are the only county in Maryland that is building at a fast pace. WE are the only county in Maryland where investors are putting in billions of dollars on mulitple projects. We are the only county in maryland right now that is building 5 or more malls including shopping centers.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:33 PM

350 posts, read 1,491,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
Truthhurts:You make some excellent point but what people forget is that the county is changing for better as a matter of fact the county has already increase their school budget. As a matter of fact pg county as of last school year spend the most money per child then any county in maryland. The county have also build new schools,add plenty of new programs one is all elementary schools in pg county have pre-k.

As of upscale shopping right now we do lack that but as of April Pg county will be the only county on the entire east coast with amenities no county or NoVA can offer. We will be th eonly county with upscale stores,dining that do not exist on the east coast. Pg county will have the most desirable restaurants in one location that can not be found in no other county or state on the east coast. As for house pricing pg county is not cheap as you think it is. Howard county housing is cheaper then Pg county so is AA county. No Pg county so not have the lowest appreciation you are right with your other data but with Real Estate I think you are wrong with that information. How can we have the lowest when we are the only county in Maryland that is building at a fast pace. WE are the only county in Maryland where investors are putting in billions of dollars on mulitple projects. We are the only county in maryland right now that is building 5 or more malls including shopping centers.
Please go over your post and fix any grammer and spelling and run on sentences so that it makes a little more sense.
PG County is definitely not cheap, housing-wise, but Howard County housing is definitely not cheaper than PG- I won't really comment about AA, because I have neither lived there, nor ever looked at houses there. I would say that PG probably has more cheap housing than Howard, because it is so much larger of an area, but because it is larger, it has probably has a higher number of higher priced neighborhoods as well.
I went on to the NV Homes website, just out of curiousity, and this is what I found when I looked up 2 models, in three different communities-
Beechtree Community in PG County-
Wynterhall Model- starts in the $560s
Knightsbridge Model- starts in the $580s

Clarksville Overlook in Howard County-
Wynterhall model- starts in the $980s
Knightsbridge model-starts $1 mill.

Brighton Mill in Howard County
Wynterhall model- starts in the $930s
Knightsbridge model- starts in the $960s

Just thought it was interesting. Personally, I think all house prices are way too inflated. I wish it were more reasonable everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland