U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2008, 08:07 PM

32 posts, read 157,980 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have posted before and have now learned that I will finally be getting a job offer in Silver Spring. I have questions about some other places to consider living in such as Eldersburg, Marriottsville and Sykesville. Are there nice townhomes or apartments available for rent within the next few months in these areas? How would the commute be from these places to Silver Spring? It appears that they are all under 1 hour from what I've seen on the randmcnally website. It seems that these are relatively nice areas to live in, I don't really care for the bustle of the big city or tons of traffic. What are your thoughts on the pros and cons of living in these 3 communities? Are there any other places which you would recommend looking into for a nice place to live with low crime and good schools?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 08:34 PM

1,389 posts, read 5,672,080 times
If you live in any of these 3 areas, your traveling time will be more then 1hr. If you do a map quest or time quest online always consider traffic because we have plenty of that. I think Silver Spring,Betheda,Wheaton,Burtonsville these are areas that are close to Silver Spring.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:42 PM

32 posts, read 157,980 times
Smile thanks

Hello Iscalder,
Thank you for your reply. Can I ask your opinion on which area I should consider? I'm trying to keep the commute within 40-45 mins one way, I prefer a quiet place, I'm not into the bar scene. I know that it won't be cheap, but that's part of the deal when you relocate to the D.C. area!

Thanks

Old 01-16-2008, 08:06 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,332,261 times
I commute from Laurel to downtown Silver Spring. I only live 14 miles away. My commute can be from 20 minutes (when I'm real lucky) up to a little over an hour. Once you get anywhere within 20 miles of Silver Spring from the areas you listed you will most likely from that point have at least an hour commute. You may zip along from those areas for a while, but you will always hit traffic closer in. lscalder has a good recommendation in Burtonsville. Its a straight shot down Rt 29 to Silver Spring. Maybe a half hour or less on a good traffic day. Columbia might also be an option for you. Look on a map and try to find some areas on Route 29 between Burtonsville up to past Columbia up to I-70. Marriotsville might not be too bad because that is close to I-70 and Route 29.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:50 AM

240 posts, read 920,915 times
Burtonsville is great. I lived their for 8 years. You will love the Amish market. It's small enough to meet friendly people but you can get wherever you need to go quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland