U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-01-2007, 03:50 PM
 
13 posts, read 35,577 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

I agree wit everything said. PG County has its good and its bad, jus like anywhere else. In a few years from now PG County will definitely be the place to be. I jus hope that the people who have decided to move out don't return because of progress being made. We don't need bandwaggers. We need people about change, and willing to make it. I am currently a student at Morgan State Univesity, architecture major, and I plan to become a developer for Prince Georges County revitalizing the inner-beltway communities.

 
Old 08-01-2007, 03:59 PM
 
13 posts, read 35,577 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
There is a lot of poverty and crime in PG County. On paper, income levels may look high but take into account the cost of living here....once you do that people in PG County don't live that well. I live in neighboring Montgomery County, technically one of the wealthiest counties in the U.S....but wherever I travel - Las Vegas, Boise, Salt Lake City, Raleigh, Richmond, even other places in Maryland - the average person lives in a bigger house with a bigger yard, the quality of life is better, etc.

Once you factor in the cost of living the high incomes in PG County, and everywhere else in the DC area, mean nothing. As for PGC, its schools are the second worst in the state after Baltimore City. In addition, the area has a VERY LARGE number of illegal immigrants from Central America and the county has to spend a lot of money supporting these people. Illegals shamelessly abuse our system and do not pay taxes but demand that PG and other school systems fund bilingual education, give remedial instruction, free lunch, etc.

If you live in neighboring Montgomery County why are giving feedback of Prince George's County, and tooting your horn "wealthiest county in the US". I thought the focus was Prince George's County.
 
Old 08-01-2007, 04:59 PM
 
1,389 posts, read 4,459,822 times
Reputation: 252
She lives in Pg county. She attends University of Maryland.
 
Old 08-02-2007, 05:17 AM
 
Location: Upper Marlboro, MD
109 posts, read 453,254 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliblu View Post
Maat thanks for the link. I wrote a paper in college about TRIM and the affects it had on the Prince George's County Public School system. I wish more residents would study the county's past and see how it has shaped the county we live in today. A lot of people who still feel TRIM was good for the county didn't have any interest in the schools. Their children were grown or they didn't have children at all. What they failed to realize is that a strong school system helps the overall image of the county. Education opens up areas of opportunity for poorer children. Also, an educated population is attractive to business. The last few years have made me hopeful that the county has turned a corner where education is concerned. Test scores are up, attendance is up, the programs being offered to students has improved. I really want to see where we stand in next five years.
You've taught in PGCPS, so I'm really glad to hear you say you have high hopes for the schools. I'm really impressed with Deasy. One of the board members said in an interview that the only complaint she has about him is he'll "work you into the ground."

I posted the link because we get a lot of grief from former residents who say they left the county as black folks migrated in because of crime. But the first wave who came were overwhelmingly middle class. The real crime came with PCP in the 80's and crack in the 90's. A lot of those residents left because of forced busing.
 
Old 08-02-2007, 07:27 PM
 
688 posts, read 1,124,899 times
Reputation: 294
Deasy visited one of the schools I sub at Fort Washington Forest in Ft Wash. I still sub occasionally when they really need me. The children are wonderful. The teachers seem to have really taken to Deasy.

Once you've been in the schools and get to know some of the students you become attached. I hate it when people say those kids just don't want to learn. Most of children I've met are eager to learn. There are some schools in the county that need a lot of work. But with the new focus on attendance and academics things are turning them around. The only thing I'm not a big fan of is how rigid the school day is. But that seems to be the way schools are all across the country now. At least the kids here still have music, art, and a very short recess.
 
Old 08-12-2007, 05:25 PM
 
16 posts, read 31,885 times
Reputation: 19
Ma'am:

Were you from PGC originally? I was, grew up mostly in Marlow Heights, but also lived in Hillcrest Heights and Oxon Hill. I'm a product of PGC schools, and I've managed to do fairly well for myself. I'm curious about your remark, alluding to the problems of PGC today breeding from the, "...many cheap garden-style apartments inside the beltway". I lived in one of those type apartments inside the Beltway, it was called Dennis Grove (now known as Oxon Hill Village). There was also another one right across from my neighborhood in Deer Park Heights, "Marlow Overlook" (now known as, "Princeton Estates").

I don't remember any of those complexes being crime ridden. All I remember were lower middle class, hard working folks with great outlooks and few pretension. What changed? I see you also stated that you wouldn't move to Marlow Heights now, or even 10 years from now. If the schools were better, I would.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurelengineer View Post
...Lest we have 8 thousand "PG sucks/PG's Great" back-and-forths that are tired and useless, frankly. The reason for the affluence/Crime dichotomy is largely one of poor planning and corruption in 60 and seventies that resulted in many cheap garden-style apartments inside the beltway. Hence, they became the future breeding grounds of crime. This happens often. Here's the dichotomy part - Outside the beltway, none of this happened. Instead you have mostly single-family neighborhoods and the general peace/comfort that goes along with them. As a result, outside the beltway, it is a rare house that is under 400k. Inside the beltway, it is a rare house that is over it.
Now, toward solving the problem:
This really hasn't been highly publicized, but PG is slowly tearing down all those crime factories and replacing them with owner-occupied condos/townhouses, thus forcing out the crime producers. Since PG outside the beltway is unaffordable to most, it is highly likely that many would-be criminals will leave the county entirely, thus accomplishing 2 thing simultaneously: raising test scores and reducing crime levels. In fact, we are already seeing this. As reported in the Washington Examiner (but, strangely, not the Post), violent crime is down 10% year over year with car thefts down 30%!!! These numbers will continue to go down as the process of cleansing the county of the poor and unwanted continues. I hate to sound like some spiteful republican, but this strategy is the only one that has been shown to consistently work.
Finally, Would i move to Marlow Heights? Not a chance. Not even 10 years from now.
Would I move to another inside-the-beltway community on the Northern Green Line? You bet I would. The main difference between the two areas - jobs, jobs, jobs. And lots of private/public investment.
 
Old 08-15-2007, 12:25 AM
 
Location: South South Jersey
1,652 posts, read 2,243,459 times
Reputation: 712
P.G. County is a mess. "Most affluent AA county" isn't saying much when most majority-Black counties (P.G. included) are, sadly (and this is a doctoral dissertation right here), far from affluent. The reason in P.G.'s case is a complicated mix of racism on the part of commercial developers, corruption on the part of local politicians, and ambivalence on the part of a lot of residents.

In any case, if you come to P.G., don't expect a wealthy, majority-Black haven of cultural excellence. (I'm a black female and can't wait to get the hell out.)
 
Old 08-15-2007, 07:47 AM
 
1,389 posts, read 4,459,822 times
Reputation: 252
It depends on the area in Pg county. If you want to see black millions you need to move to Upper Marlboro,Bowie,Mitchellville,Largo,some parts of Laurel. Down the street from my home about 5 minutes. The prices for new hoems start from 1.5 million dollars. These are only Blacks who are purchasing the homes. What you are doing is judging the entire County as a whole and you cannot do that. In my opinion i think pg county have more upper to middle class blacks then poor because of my social dealings. If you live in a lower class community or area all you will see or know is the downsid eof the county. For my family we see positive because we live in a positive area and community.
 
Old 08-21-2007, 11:02 PM
 
4 posts, read 14,122 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
P.G. County is a mess. "Most affluent AA county" isn't saying much when most majority-Black counties (P.G. included) are, sadly (and this is a doctoral dissertation right here), far from affluent. The reason in P.G.'s case is a complicated mix of racism on the part of commercial developers, corruption on the part of local politicians, and ambivalence on the part of a lot of residents.

In any case, if you come to P.G., don't expect a wealthy, majority-Black haven of cultural excellence. (I'm a black female and can't wait to get the hell out.)
I fell you Im spanish and Ive been called mexican boy and all that In Flowers and Now i have 2 years left.......................Im not taking that chance I fought 2 times now and im not going to do it anymore.I want to move to Miami this year and if not go to private school.
 
Old 08-21-2007, 11:12 PM
 
4 posts, read 14,122 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFMD View Post
I am Black and I currently reside in Atlanta, Georgia. I do not live in an all Black area here and I would not wish to do so in Maryland. However, I am curious still about PG county. I have heard and read that it is supposed to the most affluent county for African Americans in the country.




C.
This statement here leads me to believe you are the original poster under a different log-in.

I find it hard to believe that two individuals would give similar statements from the same geographical location particularly in light of giving misleading information as to your current location (Maryland) under your log-in and not Georgia

I contend that the original poster has a self-serving interest as a Georgia resident as it is clear in their other posts as (stvincent) they feel Georgia is the place to be for affluent African Americans. This thread was started after the Ebony article referencing Prince Georges County and affluent African American.

Looking at the original post he mentions his thought of the county being plagued with high crime, bad schools, a lack of commercial development and such. You throw that out and say that you are intrigued by the county from a distance and not one response from the original poster during the thread.

This is why I just posted a thread in the Georgia forum specifically to elicit a response from this initial poster which was my response to my belief that this thread was started for self serving purposes.

My point being in the Georgia thread is that there is no utopia here in the county and neither so in Atlanta Georgia. Yes the county has it issues with improving crime and the school system however in Georgia conditions appear worse in these areas. The crime per capita is very bad, the school system there is below this county and I don't see the development occurring there as I see in this county-albeit my information is derived solely from the AJC.

There are many links posted in the "stop denigrating PG County" thread supporting the improvements this county is making with the school system crime, commercial/retail development etc... What is Georgia doing to fix their problems?[/quote]
Not to be racist but since your a African-American you would be very disappointed at how They turned out.Live with people who aren't ignorant please I wish i stayed in hytsvill bad area but Fun area also .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top