Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 03:11 PM

469 posts, read 549,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
If you stop yelling, "racist!" for a moment and reread what was said, you would discover that is not what they said. It's about the huge shift for a small percentage to a huge percentage in just one summer. If he loves his kids, he won't put them through such a dramatic change so quickly. That's not fair to them. That's totally different from what you thought was said.

Maybe you should reread his post, it stated "diversity is overrated"....so ur gonna tell me the post wasn't about race, grow up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 03:14 PM

469 posts, read 549,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
If you stop yelling, "racist!" for a moment and reread what was said, you would discover that is not what they said. It's about the huge shift for a small percentage to a huge percentage in just one summer. If he loves his kids, he won't put them through such a dramatic change so quickly. That's not fair to them. That's totally different from what you thought was said.

Maybe you should reread his post, it stated "diversity is overrated"....so ur gonna tell me the post wasn't about race, grow up. I never said anything about racism...YOU DID. Classic case of "Projecting" apparently u thought it was RACIST..not me hence u bringing up the term when no one else did

Old 05-01-2015, 02:37 AM

22 posts, read 29,907 times
I would take the time and research the actual schools in pg county. Despite the short comings of the pgc school district, there are some good schools in the county you should consider. I would not put too much emphasis on the racial makeup. It's a learning opportunity for your kids, and they will most likely be welcomed. The more affluent areas such as Bowie and Upper Marlboro tend to have schools that are ranked higher. You will find more parents in those areas that value a high quality of education.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:24 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos82 View Post
Maybe you should reread his post, it stated "diversity is overrated"....so ur gonna tell me the post wasn't about race, grow up. I never said anything about racism...YOU DID. Classic case of "Projecting" apparently u thought it was RACIST..not me hence u bringing up the term when no one else did
Okay. Whatever you say.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:30 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos82 View Post
I could careless if its overrated or not, my point is people screaming for him to go to private schools because half the school he might attend is another race, thats beyond silly. His child could end up at Glenarden Woods, Heather Hills, Robert Goddard all of whom are 70+ percent black and yet have the highest test scores in the entire state, but u wouldn't want your kids around that because they are a shade darker?
I made a suggestion, not screaming. Grow up.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:21 PM

18 posts, read 32,626 times
Default If you are white, PG is not a good choice.

We moved from Montgomery county to PG county a long time ago. We could not afford the acreage we needed for horses in Montgomery county so we purchased a home with several acres, with a stable/barn in southern PG county. The nearby area was actually majority white at the time, but the local schools were predominately black and pretty bad. All the whites sent their kids to private schools as far away as Bowie and Anne Arundel County. So did we, paying 5K a year for elementary school and 15K a year for high school. We are now just a few white homeowners in the area. Indigenous black people in PG county are fine people and not the typical white hating blacks you find in DC, but, they have also become a minority too with the migration of DC blacks to PG county. And, property prices in the county are affected by the large black majority. I can compare the price we paid for our place with several acres with a friend that bought a house with a quarter acre lot 30 years ago, as we did, for about the same price. Our place is worth 400K their place is worth over a million dollars in Bethesda. So, no do not move to PG county if you are white.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:48 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,806,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montelatici View Post
We moved from Montgomery county to PG county a long time ago. We could not afford the acreage we needed for horses in Montgomery county so we purchased a home with several acres, with a stable/barn in southern PG county. The nearby area was actually majority white at the time, but the local schools were predominately black and pretty bad. All the whites sent their kids to private schools as far away as Bowie and Anne Arundel County. So did we, paying 5K a year for elementary school and 15K a year for high school. We are now just a few white homeowners in the area. Indigenous black people in PG county are fine people and not the typical white hating blacks you find in DC, but, they have also become a minority too with the migration of DC blacks to PG county. And, property prices in the county are affected by the large black majority. I can compare the price we paid for our place with several acres with a friend that bought a house with a quarter acre lot 30 years ago, as we did, for about the same price. Our place is worth 400K their place is worth over a million dollars in Bethesda. So, no do not move to PG county if you are white.
whatever

Old 11-26-2017, 01:03 PM

789 posts, read 1,095,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montelatici View Post
So, no do not move to PG county if you are white *and are uncomfortable around black people
Schools, property values, gentrification and sprawl development. All three issues you appear to blame on 'DC blacks'. Not a surprise, just a disappointment.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:45 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,061 times
The schools in PG county are failing and will continue to fail because of low IQ (nature) and a self-destructive culture (nurture). Both are predominant among the majority population, though a handful of individuals are able to break the trend.

Reality is what it is. Ignore it at your own peril. Don't shoot the messenger.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:13 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Whatever you decide, my suggestion is to put your resources into your children first to make sure they land on their feet after you move. It will be harder for them than for you and your partner.

If you feel that means a longer commute time and slightly less living space for a better school district, I would recommend doing it. It is up to you to take the information on this site, other sites, your knowledge of the state, and your own gut feeling when house shopping/visiting schools to figure out what variables matter, and which do not.

Maryland has some awesome schools, public and private, there is no need to settle for a bad school situation..........most people in this state do not (as you probably know since you lived here,) hence the high private school enrollments, and the big differences in housing cost based on location.

Last edited by westsideboy; 11-26-2017 at 09:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland