Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2016, 05:42 PM

662 posts, read 778,586 times

Advertisements

I don't need a liquor store in the development. Why in the world would I? Anyway I know someone who manages a very popular restaurant and I suggested to him they consider a location in this new development and he told me getting a liquor license in Maryland is a long and difficult process which makes me think that might be slowing down the restaurant announcement process. I'd still like his restaurant to come to the DMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 08:18 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,557,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
I don't need a liquor store in the development. Why in the world would I? Anyway I know someone who manages a very popular restaurant and I suggested to him they consider a location in this new development and he told me getting a liquor license in Maryland is a long and difficult process which makes me think that might be slowing down the restaurant announcement process. I'd still like his restaurant to come to the DMV.
To piggyback on your statement about the liquor license process. I have also heard that PG is trying to reduce the number of liquor stores to shift the County's image. From my understanding it will be easier to get a license as a restaurant than as a stand alone store. I think they should go a step further and allow grocery stores to sell liquor items. Most of the small stores would not be able to compete with a grocery chain.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:34 AM

206 posts, read 209,257 times
Getting a beer/wine license for a restaurant is pretty easy. Many restaurants in College Park have such a license, even those that sell small amounts of beer and wine. From time to time the county makes new full liquor licenses available to restaurants. The competition for them is not very great. For a liquor store you need to purchase an existing license, that might cost you a lot, though such licenses always seem to be available. For a store to obtain a liquor license of any sort for retail sale it can't be in a store greater than 10,000 square feet in size, so no grocery stores need apply. A handful of groceries have licenses (such as the Greenbelt Coop & College Park Shoppers), but have been around for decades and are grandfathered. State law controls the County's issue of liquor licenses.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:28 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,557,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcprtc View Post
Getting a beer/wine license for a restaurant is pretty easy. Many restaurants in College Park have such a license, even those that sell small amounts of beer and wine. From time to time the county makes new full liquor licenses available to restaurants. The competition for them is not very great. For a liquor store you need to purchase an existing license, that might cost you a lot, though such licenses always seem to be available. For a store to obtain a liquor license of any sort for retail sale it can't be in a store greater than 10,000 square feet in size, so no grocery stores need apply. A handful of groceries have licenses (such as the Greenbelt Coop & College Park Shoppers), but have been around for decades and are grandfathered. State law controls the County's issue of liquor licenses.
Thanks for the additional detail CATcprtc. As I was reading your response I recalled all of the nuances that you noted. Particularly the size limitation that effectively excludes grocery stores. I think the state needs to re-think that part of the policy as it can be very limiting. I don't drink usually. Maybe once or twice a year but I can see the benefit of allowing grocery stores, especially high end, to sell certain types of alcohol.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:36 PM

7,076 posts, read 9,520,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
Thanks for the additional detail CATcprtc. As I was reading your response I recalled all of the nuances that you noted. Particularly the size limitation that effectively excludes grocery stores. I think the state needs to re-think that part of the policy as it can be very limiting. I don't drink usually. Maybe once or twice a year but I can see the benefit of allowing grocery stores, especially high end, to sell certain types of alcohol.
Yes! Organic got away with it in Hyattsville because they are smaller than 10k sqft. But, they couldn't have their entrance on RT. 1 because a church was across the street. But, a restaurant next door that serves alcohol can have their door facing the intersection at an angle. Yeah, that will stop any parishioners from drinking.

There needs to be an entire committee to go back and repeal all of the draconian laws that shouldn't really exist in 2016.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
It's the only thing I miss about Virginia.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:58 AM

340 posts, read 373,996 times
Adding District Taco and White Oak Therapy to RPS
H&R Retail Home Page

District Taco is a really nice fast casual grab, local chain along the lines of what I would like to see a few more of for this town center

Old 08-04-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
H&R Retail Home Page

District Taco is a really nice fast casual grab, local chain along the lines of what I would like to see a few more of for this town center
Oh yum!

Old 08-04-2016, 05:31 PM

The NIMBYS have won this round: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...3a2_story.html

Old 08-05-2016, 07:37 AM

57 posts, read 60,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
Can I ask where you saw the announcement about District Taco? I don't see it on either the H&R Retail site or the Cafritz site. I love District Taco -- I'd be thrilled!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland