Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 09:30 AM

196 posts, read 205,937 times

Advertisements

Fort Washington is well isolated from NH, I remember someone say "its easy to visit NH from Alexandria than from FW", its kinda true in a way. I believe if NH is well integrated with FW, property value and quality of life will dramatically increase in the area giving a good tax revenue to the county.
The areas elected officials should work more towards this than to run around to approve low income apartment projects.

So my question is simple
1- As a community of Fort Washington(FW) What should we do to integrate NH with FW and Oxon Hill.
2- Has there been any discussion in the past regarding this at county level?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 09:44 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampg1 View Post

So my question is simple
1- As a community of Fort Washington(FW) What should we do to integrate NH with FW and Oxon Hill.
Nothing. National Harbor is a waterfront district/town center/entertainment district. Or whatever you want to call it. FT. Washington is zoned as residential. Completely different. How would you open up FT. Washington? Those people that live in those houses don't want their neighborhood zoned as anything but residential.

I think 210 can be developed. But that's it. And that doesn't necessarily connect NH to 210. There is no room for bikes and pedestrians to get from NH to 210. At least no that I can tell from the road.

Oxon Hill going north is a lot easier. But even that is separated by the 495 interchange making it dangerous for bikers and pedestrians. There are a lot of natural and man-made barriers to integrating National Harbor. Which makes it more of a destination than a place to live. But people do live there.

I just don't see the need to integrate it. Now if you're talking about pedestrian and bike paths, then that's simple.

Quote:
Probably. National Harbor was a 50-year vision.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post

I just don't see the need to integrate it. Now if you're talking about pedestrian and bike paths, then that's simple.
Oxon Hill/FW is isolated right now - no access to NH from NH surrounding. As you have said pedestrian/bike/car access point would dramatically increase home Value in the area. I think increased home value is something everyone needs in Oxon Hill/FW.

Quote:
Probably. National Harbor was a 50-year vision.
I'm referring discussions regarding opening access point between NH and Oxon Hill/FW, not the project in general.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:03 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:
I'm referring discussions regarding opening access point between NH and Oxon Hill/FW, not the project in general.
Ah. Simple then. Add bike lanes to Oxon Hill Rd and widen the sidewalk to 8ft. from 4ft. Add safety lighting and place emergency phones every hundred yards along the sidewalk. Add a Metrobus shuttle from Ft. Washington and Oxon hill and run it every hour from 10:00am until 11pm.

210 is too much of a highway to make it safe for bikes and pedestrians. You'd have to knock the speed down to 35 mph. I don't see that happening.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:36 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Ah. Simple then. Add bike lanes to Oxon Hill Rd and widen the sidewalk to 8ft. from 4ft. Add safety lighting and place emergency phones every hundred yards along the sidewalk. Add a Metrobus shuttle from Ft. Washington and Oxon hill and run it every hour from 10:00am until 11pm.

210 is too much of a highway to make it safe for bikes and pedestrians. You'd have to knock the speed down to 35 mph. I don't see that happening.
They are already adding bike lanes to Oxon Hill Road which is part of the improvement that has been made around the outlet mall area.

Agreed on 210, it's not safe, not really much of a reason to ride on 210 and it also needs the land it has to expand the lanes if at all possible instead of adding bike lanes.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:45 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Fort Washington is well isolated from NH, I remember someone say "its easy to visit NH from Alexandria than from FW", its kinda true in a way. I believe if NH is well integrated with FW, property value and quality of life will dramatically increase in the area giving a good tax revenue to the county.
The areas elected officials should work more towards this than to run around to approve low income apartment projects.

So my question is simple
Honestly with the addition of the row houses at NH, there really isn't a place that can really integrate Fort Washington into National Harbor. The only entry points are basically residential areas and I am sure those homeowners would not be too happy that they are paying twice as much to have the access they do and someone who paid a lot less would then have the same access. I think this is a matter of money talks.

To be honest, Fort Washington should just focus on itself. There are parts of Fort Washington that need improvement. The potential is there for Fort Washington to become it's own destination. They need to first finish their project with Livingston Square, then they need to consider bringing retailers that better suit the community and keep people from going across the river to spend money (i.e. Target, Walmart, sitdown restaurants). Fort Washington doesn't need National Harbor to do more.

To answer your second question, I don't think there were ever plans to do anything. People have been split on this. Some people in Fort Washington didn't want their community that accessible from businesses. They seem to ultimately have won, but honestly from the developers of NH perspective, how does it benefit them to integrate with Fort Washington? People already travel there from Fort Washington and there is nothing else they are competing against, so why spend the money? What would they gain?

Old 05-24-2015, 08:45 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
I'm not sure Oxon Hill Road even has any access to National Harbor -- the times I tried to turn into the Harbor, I ended up suddenly on I-295 north with no other alternative.

For what it's worth, 210 is probably the only highway of its kind in the state, that by law forbids bicycling on its shoulder. (until you reach the Charles County line, then suddenly it's allowed - for some reason).

I've always noticed, the management of NH avoids any association with the name Oxon Hill. When absolutely necessary, they will use the correct Oxon Hill zip-code, but the name Fort Washington (which is not really correct).

Last edited by slowlane3; 05-24-2015 at 08:55 PM..

Old 05-25-2015, 09:02 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I'm not sure Oxon Hill Road even has any access to National Harbor -- the times I tried to turn into the Harbor, I ended up suddenly on I-295 north with no other alternative.

For what it's worth, 210 is probably the only highway of its kind in the state, that by law forbids bicycling on its shoulder. (until you reach the Charles County line, then suddenly it's allowed - for some reason).

I've always noticed, the management of NH avoids any association with the name Oxon Hill. When absolutely necessary, they will use the correct Oxon Hill zip-code, but the name Fort Washington (which is not really correct).
Probably a result of the history of irresponsible road racing on 210, resulting in accidents causing multiple fatalities.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:27 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,566,069 times
I agree with some of the other posters on here. Instead of trying to figure out how Oxon Hill and Ft. Washington can be integrated with NH, the effort should be on how to piggy back on the development at the Harbor to improve the amenities and spark development in those area. Retail and infrastructure centered around the residents, establishing a proper downtown/midtown, and enhancing walkability would go a long way in improving both areas.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
I agree with some of the other posters on here. Instead of trying to figure out how Oxon Hill and Ft. Washington can be integrated with NH, the effort should be on how to piggy back on the development at the Harbor to improve the amenities and spark development in those area. Retail and infrastructure centered around the residents, establishing a proper downtown/midtown, and enhancing walkability would go a long way in improving both areas.
I agree with piggy backing NH and developing FW and OH but how can u do that as long as NH is kind of isolated form the surrounding, I think having access road to NH will dramatically improve Quality of life in neighborhood that surrounds NH then this improvement will propagator to the Oxon Hill and FW gradually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland