Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 02:31 PM

15,409 posts, read 25,725,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoalinstyle7 View Post
No, I follow. You worked in a system that was broke for 32 years and so did many others AND nothing was done to fix it. At some point if you aren't part of solution you are part of the problem (e.g. I'm just going to sit here and collect a check). The concerns you list are valid, but they are definitely fixable. The systemic corruption exists because the residents were complacent, if enough people get pissed off things will change. Also, I can attest to the fact that many young professionals (who happen to be Millenials) are flocking to PG because it is the only county in the DC metropolitan area that is still somewhat affordable. These are young couples with multiple degrees who will not tolerate under-performance in the school system.

Lastly, we deal with wayyy more BS working in the private sector (pension what? insurance coverage, huh? Oh you mean COBRA). My comment about pension/social security was directed at AeroGuy, but yeah we (Millenials) are not going to see any social security. It is common knowledge that social security will be bankrupt in the near future.
After they make some money, and their kids reach school age, they will most likely leave. I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 02:54 PM

10 posts, read 8,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
After they make some money, and their kids reach school age, they will most likely leave. I did.

Make some money? My spouse and I have a combined income of ~$300k, we could afford to live anywhere we want. Buying a home for the sake of buying a home is no longer a smart investment decision. Places like HOCO weathered the subprime storm because of high household incomes, government assistance,etc..., their home values are still inflated and will likely level set in the next 5-10 years. I grew up in HOCO and went to HOCO public schools (for high school, private until then) and can tell you that the demographic has changed substantially from when I graduated highschool in 2003. What I'm getting at is don't buy a house based solely off of the school system, things are changing and young professionals are less concerned about who lives next door. Don't take my word for it, look at DC for the example. My bet is that as millennials start having families more and more will look for the space the suburbs (and look to areas with the shortest commute). There is money to be made in getting in before the bandwagoners.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:56 PM

789 posts, read 1,090,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos82 View Post
And yet if we compare salaries I would come out on top..the irony of it all
Right? It's almost as if he wrote off our entire generation, probably based on a fictionalized personal anecdote. Salaries aside, I'm sure he is just a straight jerk. Boo that guy.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
Right? It's almost as if he wrote off our entire generation, probably based on a fictionalized personal anecdote. Salaries aside, I'm sure he is just a straight jerk. Boo that guy.

I'm sure we will blame the generation after us for the problems we caused as well.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Make some money? My spouse and I have a combined income of ~$300k, we could afford to live anywhere we want. Buying a home for the sake of buying a home is no longer a smart investment decision....

My bet is that as millennials start having families more and more will look for the space the suburbs (and look to areas with the shortest commute). There is money to be made in getting in before the bandwagoners.
Well when you make $300k/yr personal investment in single family real estate sounds like a waste of time.

I think you are somewhat wrong about millennials. We certainly don't care about our neighbors as much as previous generations. But we would rather rent forever in a place or places we really like than settle for buying a half-hearted 'investment'. And I wouldn't necessarily count on all of us having children OR raising them in the suburbs. We have better things to do with our money, or at least that is my opinion on our generation.

I think the only theme with millennials is that we are a fairly unpredictable bunch.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:21 PM

6,957 posts, read 11,230,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
Well when you make $300k/yr personal investment in single family real estate sounds like a waste of time.

I think you are somewhat wrong about millennials. We certainly don't care about our neighbors as much as previous generations. But we would rather rent forever in a place or places we really like than settle for buying a half-hearted 'investment'. And I wouldn't necessarily count on all of us having children OR raising them in the suburbs. We have better things to do with our money, or at least that is my opinion on our generation.

I think the only theme with millennials is that we are a fairly unpredictable bunch.
And that you guys seem obsessively concerned with being part of this "millennial" group. I mean, how often do you see other posters include their generational labels like Gen X, or Baby Boomer when describing themselves or their life preferences? If I see those terms, it is almost always the millennials using it to label others.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:23 PM

Re-read what I said. Buying a home is no longer a safe investment, I'm not buying a home as an investment (in fact Im buying because it decreases my tax liability). However, I'd rather make money on a personal home purchase than lose money.

I don't particularly agree with you regarding the motivation for renting (I think student loans and not enough savings for dp also play major factors).

Old 07-22-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
And that you guys seem obsessively concerned with being part of this "millennial" group. I mean, how often do you see other posters include their generational labels like Gen X, or Baby Boomer when describing themselves or their life preferences? If I see those terms, it is almost always the millennials using it to label others.
Fair point.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:15 PM

15,409 posts, read 25,725,485 times
Quote:
Make some money? My spouse and I have a combined income of ~$300k, we could afford to live anywhere we want. Buying a home for the sake of buying a home is no longer a smart investment decision. Places like HOCO weathered the subprime storm because of high household incomes, government assistance,etc..., their home values are still inflated and will likely level set in the next 5-10 years. I grew up in HOCO and went to HOCO public schools (for high school, private until then) and can tell you that the demographic has changed substantially from when I graduated highschool in 2003. What I'm getting at is don't buy a house based solely off of the school system, things are changing and young professionals are less concerned about who lives next door. Don't take my word for it, look at DC for the example. My bet is that as millennials start having families more and more will look for the space the suburbs (and look to areas with the shortest commute). There is money to be made in getting in before the bandwagoners.
My point was that if the schools don't get fixed, parents will move away to HoCo, MoCo, or whereever. If they can afford it, maybe they will stay and put the kids in private schools. They're not going to subject their kids to the subpar PG Schools if they don't have to. I am pretty sure that if you find yourself in this situation, that that is what you will do.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
My point was that if the schools don't get fixed, parents will move away to HoCo, MoCo, or whereever. If they can afford it, maybe they will stay and put the kids in private schools. They're not going to subject their kids to the subpar PG Schools if they don't have to. I am pretty sure that if you find yourself in this situation, that that is what you will do.
Honestly, most of Maryland's public schools are subpar when it comes to the private school options. I'll likely send my children to private school at least during their earlier years. I guess my point is I wouldn't count pg out entirely, we are in new interesting times that will produce unexpected outcomes. Five years ago I would've given people a dumbfounded look if they told me they wanted to move to Georgia avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland