U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2015, 10:25 PM
 
467 posts, read 503,988 times
Reputation: 585

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Equivocation is a logical fallacy and a failed argument from the outset.

Facts are facts I provided them you didn't. Facts don't change because they don't fit the narrative your promoting, sorry
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2015, 12:57 PM
 
1,830 posts, read 1,530,485 times
Reputation: 855
This is not a good headline to try to defend. It may have been a small percentage of product, but it was in nine stores.

Whole Foods' Mackey: 'We feel like victims' of NYC audits

Whole Foods Market feels victimized by the national publicity resulting from a weights and measures audit in New York City that uncovered over-charging at nine of its stores there, John Mackey, co-CEO, told investors.
Quote:
“We don’t think our track record is any different than any other supermarket’s,” he said, “[so] we’re not sure why Whole Foods was singled out for this attention. It’s just something that went viral in the media, and it has hurt our trust, and we feel like we’re victims.

“We don’t know exactly why the [New York] Department of Consumer Affairs went after Whole Foods like this, and we’re not sure why the media went crazy with it, but it did happen. “Our error rates are very small. These were inadvertent errors, and there’s no systemic mistakes being made here. It [involved] a very small percentage of our total product.”
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2021, 08:42 PM
 
117 posts, read 52,361 times
Reputation: 36
With the news that Trader Joe's is finally coming to PGC, it is interesting to revisit this old thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
A...
Right now, There are a few prime locations that trader Joe's could open up shop in and would do just fine.

1. Bowie
2. College Park
3. Hyattsville
...
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
That demographic screams college students. And their prices aren't any higher than the local Giant or Safeway chains. I never feel buyers remorse after leaving TJs like I do Whole Foods or MOMs. lol
Bingo! Students seem pretty thrilled https://www.reddit.com/r/UMD/comment..._college_park/

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanhvtnymd View Post
...
I guess College Park doesn't have enough money for Trader Joe's.
Enough money now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
I think College Park might see a new Lidl store before it sees a TJ. As I understand it, the US Lidl stores are going to be significantly larger and different than their EU stores. There's rumor that they'll be a sort of hybrid Aldi/TJ model. The 30K sf stores they're seeking would suggest that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
New Greenbelt/FBI development, Konterra, Westphalia, maybe. But I still wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years there is still no TJ in PGC. HT or any trad grocery store is not a deterrent to TJ.
First prediction on the money, second not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Interesting.... COULD College Park support a Trader Joe's AND a Whole Foods? (And the Yes Organic that's on Rte 1 AND the Mom's which is further up Rte 1)

Trader Joe's would definitely pull some business from the Whole Foods. Not all of it likely but perhaps a good chunk. No?

They'd likely all four pull business all from each other....so would they ALL survive...or would one or two end up being odd men out?
This is my main question. I think TJ's will do great given the number of students and busy professionals living within a 5 min walk. But In the last 5 years, a Lidl, a Target Express, a Whole Foods, and a Safeway have opened within a 10 min drive, not to mention other pre-existing options. Is there really a market for all of these grocery stores?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2021, 08:01 AM
 
Location: It's in the name!
6,937 posts, read 8,819,210 times
Reputation: 3646
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerMD View Post

This is my main question. I think TJ's will do great given the number of students and busy professionals living within a 5 min walk. But In the last 5 years, a Lidl, a Target Express, a Whole Foods, and a Safeway have opened within a 10 min drive, not to mention other pre-existing options. Is there really a market for all of these grocery stores?
The idea is that with all of the new growth with apartments/townhomes being built in College Park, Riverdale Park, and Hyattsville. Not to mention the Purple Line, density will increase thus increasing foot traffic to these retail stores.

On Belcrest Rd alone, there will be new townhomes, duplexes and apartments. In Hyattsville across from Busboys and poets a huge apartment building is going to be built with Market Rate apartments. The apartment building that was part of Phase 1 in Riverdale Park is almost complete if not complete. That's literally hundreds of new potential Whole Foods shoppers across the street.

Then there is phase two of Riverdale Park Station with even more density.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2021, 05:10 PM
 
1,024 posts, read 1,663,786 times
Reputation: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
The idea is that with all of the new growth with apartments/townhomes being built in College Park, Riverdale Park, and Hyattsville. Not to mention the Purple Line, density will increase thus increasing foot traffic to these retail stores.

On Belcrest Rd alone, there will be new townhomes, duplexes and apartments. In Hyattsville across from Busboys and poets a huge apartment building is going to be built with Market Rate apartments. The apartment building that was part of Phase 1 in Riverdale Park is almost complete if not complete. That's literally hundreds of new potential Whole Foods shoppers across the street.

Then there is phase two of Riverdale Park Station with even more density.
There is a phase 2?! Oh wow didn't know that...I was thinking this was it as far as that development since there doesn't appear to be anymore room to grow.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2021, 07:35 AM
 
Location: It's in the name!
6,937 posts, read 8,819,210 times
Reputation: 3646
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
There is a phase 2?! Oh wow didn't know that...I was thinking this was it as far as that development since there doesn't appear to be anymore room to grow.
Phase two is the faded "ghost" buildings in the back. There was a hotel that was supposed to be built adjacent to Whole Foods that was to deliver this year or next year. But I guess that might as well be phase two as well.





In this master plan, there are phase 3 and 4 buildings near the train tracks.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2021, 10:13 PM
 
117 posts, read 52,361 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
The idea is that with all of the new growth with apartments/townhomes being built in College Park, Riverdale Park, and Hyattsville. Not to mention the Purple Line, density will increase thus increasing foot traffic to these retail stores.

On Belcrest Rd alone, there will be new townhomes, duplexes and apartments. In Hyattsville across from Busboys and poets a huge apartment building is going to be built with Market Rate apartments. The apartment building that was part of Phase 1 in Riverdale Park is almost complete if not complete. That's literally hundreds of new potential Whole Foods shoppers across the street.

Then there is phase two of Riverdale Park Station with even more density.

Ah, that's right, all those new people will need to eat. Especially the apartments at RPS cannot come soon enough. I rarely see more than 50% of the check-out counters at Whole Foods working. The Pilot house apartments are supposedly leasing, but I haven't seen much movement there. I wonder how they're doing, and how they'll compete with the apartments coming up in College Park and Hyattsville, which have larger developed areas around them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2021, 06:57 AM
 
Location: It's in the name!
6,937 posts, read 8,819,210 times
Reputation: 3646
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerMD View Post
Ah, that's right, all those new people will need to eat. Especially the apartments at RPS cannot come soon enough. I rarely see more than 50% of the check-out counters at Whole Foods working. The Pilot house apartments are supposedly leasing, but I haven't seen much movement there. I wonder how they're doing, and how they'll compete with the apartments coming up in College Park and Hyattsville, which have larger developed areas around them.
I wouldn't be too concerned. The DC area as a whole is growing. People looking to live in DC are still getting priced out. I think the Rt. 1 communities have an advantage being so close to the DC border. It's not a bad place to live if you want to be DC adjacent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2021, 08:29 AM
 
17,529 posts, read 8,954,091 times
Reputation: 7491
Trader Joe's is owed by the same Family that owns Aldi .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2021, 10:02 PM
 
1,024 posts, read 1,663,786 times
Reputation: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I wouldn't be too concerned. The DC area as a whole is growing. People looking to live in DC are still getting priced out. I think the Rt. 1 communities have an advantage being so close to the DC border. It's not a bad place to live if you want to be DC adjacent.
I biked down there a lot and was checking the apartment listings and it appears people are leasing them. I'm looking forward to seeing all the changes with the new apartments along the whole Rt. 1 corridor.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top