Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 06:37 PM

285 posts, read 861,696 times

Advertisements

I was just offered an internship starting in the fall in Washington, DC. I'm looking into the possibility of living with some relatives in Cheverly. I mentioned this to one of my brother's friends, who is a Prince George County police officer, who advised strongly against it, stating that it was a very dangerous area.

I've never been there, but I find it hard to believe. My mother has two cousins who live there - both are married with children and have good jobs, and constantly rave about how much they love their community.

Anyone - input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 08:03 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,219,968 times
haha......yeah Cheverly ain't the place to be walking down the street at night by yourself...it's mostly a old industrial park area..i'm talking junkyards industrial....if your young you really need to go into the city and experience the full dc vibe....

cheverly is a blue collar, heavy carribbean - latino -AA -immigrant community...you shouldn't have problems but their are parts that can be sketchy...

Old 07-22-2010, 06:05 AM

285 posts, read 861,696 times
I would love to live in the city, but I don't know if I'll be able to afford it. I've been looking on google 'street view' around the area, and I see some industrial-looking areas closer to the metro, but north of that, it looks very suburban and well-kept.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:12 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
There are good, stable parts of Cheverly with nice homes and families. There was a recent thread about Cheverly in this forum. You may want to try a search.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:26 AM

2 posts, read 13,793 times
I have lived in DC, Near Union Station, near 6th and East Capitol and just behind the House of Representatives office buildings - Cheverly is safer than any of those places.

While on Capitol Hill for three years I had a roommates car stolen, my car stolen (twice), heard gun shots at least a half dozen times, had a roommate beaten up near eastern market metro for being white at 7pm, a different roommate robbed at knifepoint outside Union Station, and had a potential burglar walk into my house around noon.

The odds of being a victim of crime are low, but there is a lot of crime in DC (and lots of other cities).

I have lived in Cheverly 15 months with no incidents (though the town is not without crime). My neighbor across the street is a DC police officer and she moved in part because of the low crime rate.

Highly recommened Cheverly, great place, nice people and lots of families/kids

Old 07-22-2010, 08:49 AM

2 posts, read 13,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
haha......yeah Cheverly ain't the place to be walking down the street at night by yourself...it's mostly a old industrial park area..i'm talking junkyards industrial....if your young you really need to go into the city and experience the full dc vibe....

cheverly is a blue collar, heavy carribbean - latino -AA -immigrant community...you shouldn't have problems but their are parts that can be sketchy...

I wonder where in DC "zippy" thinks that young women should be walking down the street at night by themselves? Specifically, where exactly are there no "blue collar" or "carribbean" people lurking?

I also wonder if he/she might be kind enough to enlighten us by explaining what is dangerous about so-called blue collar, carribbean, latinos, or immigrants?

My personal experience with crime has been caused by DC local youth and unemployed.

Cheverly is about 6400 people, average household income $78,000,

According to 2000 Census, Cheverly is:
Latino - 6.8%; White - 31.1%; Black - 56.8%; Asian - 2.5%; other - 2.6%
Median age is 35.8 and 72% of the population are families.

DC has many more restaurants/bars/people, but Cheverly is a nice town a short metro ride out.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:18 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,219,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redskinsfan2009 View Post
I wonder where in DC "zippy" thinks that young women should be walking down the street at night by themselves? Specifically, where exactly are there no "blue collar" or "carribbean" people lurking?

I also wonder if he/she might be kind enough to enlighten us by explaining what is dangerous about so-called blue collar, carribbean, latinos, or immigrants?

My personal experience with crime has been caused by DC local youth and unemployed.

Cheverly is about 6400 people, average household income $78,000,

According to 2000 Census, Cheverly is:
Latino - 6.8%; White - 31.1%; Black - 56.8%; Asian - 2.5%; other - 2.6%
Median age is 35.8 and 72% of the population are families.

DC has many more restaurants/bars/people, but Cheverly is a nice town a short metro ride out.

Spare me the pgc pride...If the Op wants to live in Cheverly then have at it...it's her life. I guess she'll just have to test out your astute observation and walk those safe family streets of cheverly on a nice pleasant Saturaday night by herself..what do I know having worked in the area for close to 7 years. All those police sirens and busted out windows at the local businesses must of been a figment of my imagination...

Old 07-22-2010, 06:45 PM

311 posts, read 1,385,605 times
Pay no attention to Zippy. The other posters have given a much more accurate picture of Cheverly.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:02 PM

12 posts, read 41,471 times
Cheverly was a dump 30 years ago and is still. That creeping Dumpism
has enveloped Prince Georges county.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:59 AM

10,608 posts, read 12,115,646 times
I would say the negative comments describe the areas AROUND and ABUTTING Cheverly -- but not Cheverly itself, which has definite boundaries. Tuxedo Junction is NOT Cheverly. Villa Heights, Landover and Columbia Park are NOT Cheverly.

I looked at Cheverly as a place to buy a SFH 7 years ago. A co-worker (professional highly paid married person) lives there and LOVES it. Others like it as well.

The houses are older and smaller than many elsewhere. (Small lots, NO garages. Bedrooms that are 10x10, kitchens 8x8!) When I looked there it was ALL residential. And because Cheverly is surrounded by less desirable areas there's NO decent shopping at ALL nearby.

I know this is crass but I felt like CHEVERLY was great, it was just SURROUNDED by 'the hood.' My co-worker would take issue with that, of course.

So if you can live where the NEIGHBORS are great, and close knit -- but there are no amenities great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland