U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 03:31 PM

5,118 posts, read 10,055,644 times

Advertisements

PS in my experience for every bad member of one race i've usually met 2-3 that were the nicest people in the world, so in my experience nice people rule and the bad apples are in the minority, but when there is 220 million of one group and 20% of them are bad apples you tend to run into a lot of bad apples when you're only part of a group that has 35 million people.

I agree with that!

Old 02-12-2008, 04:02 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,345,724 times
"I agree with what you said it is definitely (thank god) not the vast majority of people, but no matter where you go if you're a minority you'll always deal with this sort of behavior. Just be lucky that you (as a white person) have 50 states to move to, that have relatively no minority populations whatsoever."

Have to agree with you there. I'm also white living in PG. Been here my whole life. Maybe I've been assimmilated or something because I personally haven't felt the burden of being discriminated against due to my color. Also, this is the diversity I've grown up with. I think I might have culture shock if I moved to a predominantly white area. However, for those that have felt racism, you are right in that they do have other states to move to where they would definitely be the majority. I don't know why, but that statement made me chuckle. I guess because it's so true.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:30 PM

217 posts, read 687,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
"I agree with what you said it is definitely (thank god) not the vast majority of people, but no matter where you go if you're a minority you'll always deal with this sort of behavior. Just be lucky that you (as a white person) have 50 states to move to, that have relatively no minority populations whatsoever."

Have to agree with you there. I'm also white living in PG. Been here my whole life. Maybe I've been assimmilated or something because I personally haven't felt the burden of being discriminated against due to my color. Also, this is the diversity I've grown up with. I think I might have culture shock if I moved to a predominantly white area. However, for those that have felt racism, you are right in that they do have other states to move to where they would definitely be the majority. I don't know why, but that statement made me chuckle. I guess because it's so true.

This is my story as well. If I visit out west and see all white it seems strange to me. A lot of those white people aren't good enough to live in my neighborhood, majority black.
Something that is really funny is when you run across someone who is TOO white - they have no sense of culture at all. Of course there are those that at are TOO black for the same reasons.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
Katzenfreund, now you know what it is like to be a black person in the US. Try dealing with this sort of behavior from others your entire life and in almost every town you move to.

I have lived all over this wonderful country and have yet to find a perfect utopia where I do not experience some level of bigotry. Also, i currently live in one of those lilly white affluent areas, that claims to be extremely "progressive." However, I cannot tell you how many large houses I pass on my day to work with Obama signs, but yet what you described above still happens to me on a fairly regular basis. At some points I think hey perhaps i'm just a "jerk" or "ass%ole," but then i think i'm one of the nicest people I know, so why are others treating me with such disdain and holding me in contempt.

I agree with what you said it is definitely (thank god) not the vast majority of people, but no matter where you go if you're a minority you'll always deal with this sort of behavior. Just be lucky that you (as a white person) have 50 states to move to, that have relatively no minority populations whatsoever. I sometimes wonder if I overlook a lot of this crap or attempt to brush it off with other excuses, but a lot of my friends are white, so they are good reinforcements, that not all whites are racist and innately bad. Sometimes good friends of other races are exactly all you need to believe in the greater good of society.

PS in my experience for every bad member of one race i've usually met 2-3 that were the nicest people in the world, so in my experience nice people rule and the bad apples are in the minority, but when there is 220 million of one group and 20% of them are bad apples you tend to run into a lot of bad apples when you're only part of a group that has 35 million people.

I cannot believe NY's very own mathematical "scholar" is posting bigotry on the MD page when it pertains to his very own exclusive high-brow part of the USA.
Wow! And I am your version of an "Uncle Tom" because I deal with what you can't. Gee, just how much of your "nice guy" racist ax do you feel a need to grind here in MD?
If you are as well off or better than what Iscalder claims to be you should consider a move to one of PGC's upscale INKY BLACK communities she can no doubt point you to. They more than likely have Obama signs as well...whatever that dig was at.
You could put all of your facts and figures to work for you and run for a political office in the county - GOD knows we need a change - and be confident your schooling is fortuitous to those other than the white people you disdain.
33% of 35 million people is around around 11.5 million that are apt to be bad... your formula.
Keep in mind "that not all whites are racist and innately bad".

Old 02-13-2008, 12:23 AM

746 posts, read 615,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfister View Post
I cannot believe NY's very own mathematical "scholar" is posting bigotry on the MD page when it pertains to his very own exclusive high-brow part of the USA.
Wow! And I am your version of an "Uncle Tom" because I deal with what you can't. Gee, just how much of your "nice guy" racist ax do you feel a need to grind here in MD?
If you are as well off or better than what Iscalder claims to be you should consider a move to one of PGC's upscale INKY BLACK communities she can no doubt point you to. They more than likely have Obama signs as well...whatever that dig was at.
You could put all of your facts and figures to work for you and run for a political office in the county - GOD knows we need a change - and be confident your schooling is fortuitous to those other than the white people you disdain.
33% of 35 million people is around around 11.5 million that are apt to be bad... your formula.
Keep in mind "that not all whites are racist and innately bad".
Fish as usual totally trying to read into something and come up with far out explanations. I'll quickly highlight my points to Katzenfraund

1. To agree with her that racism is wrong
2. To make the point, that if she thinks 7 years of dealing with such rude behavior on such a regular basis is hard, try doing it for a lifetime
3. To make the point, that not all rude behavoir when inter racial is neccessarily racist. (You could well be a jerk or an assh%% to some people causing them to be rude etc, but its so subjective you never really know). Most people like to think the best of themselves, but the perception you have of yourself is not always indicitive of what others may precieve etc.
4. I made the point that racism is every-where in some places to greater extents in others not as great
5. Made the statement that you have to look beyond racist and reach out to find the good in others and more often than not when you reach out you'll find that there are more good people of each race than there are bad (the innatly bad comment was perfect example to illustrate this point)..(would you have preferred I said not all blacks are innately drug dealers?)

In reference to the math it was based on the white population being

220 million in size and the black population being only 35 million in size, so if 20% of the white population is racist and hateful that's 44 million people, so clearly a minority group is apt to feel they will be more likely hated due to size and contact. It would be very easy for a black to come into contact with a white racist than vice-versa. My point in Latzenfrauds racism case would be eliminated quickly because all she really has to do is move out of a heavily racist minority area and she has optimal choice in relocation. However, a minority cannot escape all racism of whites, no matter where they go from state to state, because they are still a minority, so they'll always be outnumberd etc.

While I agree her story is bad and its sad that happend to her, its really a cry me a river story about racism to some degree. She'll never experience the racism my grand-parents, parents, or anyone significanly older than me experienced etc, nor will I ever experience that sort of racism. Sure I have my bouts with things that i may precieve as racism, but its rarely in my face and something i can ever clearly pin-point with 100% accuracy etc. Most of my cases are similiars to her's people being rude etc (who really knows why they're rude there's a litany of factors, they could just be rude, ignorant, and nasty people etc you never know)..Rare is it that a person these days will say something blatantly racist outright and to your face (it happens, but its rare)

Fish, stick to the facts and stop trying to pervert any and everything i write.

Last edited by truthhurts; 02-13-2008 at 12:33 AM..

Old 02-14-2008, 07:43 PM

96 posts, read 484,286 times
Well first off I've lived in the county for 18 yrs and I've witnessed my friend get robbed at gun point, another friend get shot, five of my friends get killed by homicide, I've been shot at three times, twice from botched robberies once for being in the middle of a gang fight (wrong place wrong time) car broken into mutiple times; never stolen, saw car jackings, I hear gunshots almost every night. I am from Forestville.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
Fish as usual totally trying to read into something and come up with far out explanations. I'll quickly highlight my points to Katzenfraund

1. To agree with her that racism is wrong
2. To make the point, that if she thinks 7 years of dealing with such rude behavior on such a regular basis is hard, try doing it for a lifetime
3. To make the point, that not all rude behavoir when inter racial is neccessarily racist. (You could well be a jerk or an assh%% to some people causing them to be rude etc, but its so subjective you never really know). Most people like to think the best of themselves, but the perception you have of yourself is not always indicitive of what others may precieve etc.
4. I made the point that racism is every-where in some places to greater extents in others not as great
5. Made the statement that you have to look beyond racist and reach out to find the good in others and more often than not when you reach out you'll find that there are more good people of each race than there are bad (the innatly bad comment was perfect example to illustrate this point)..(would you have preferred I said not all blacks are innately drug dealers?)

In reference to the math it was based on the white population being

220 million in size and the black population being only 35 million in size, so if 20% of the white population is racist and hateful that's 44 million people, so clearly a minority group is apt to feel they will be more likely hated due to size and contact. It would be very easy for a black to come into contact with a white racist than vice-versa. My point in Latzenfrauds racism case would be eliminated quickly because all she really has to do is move out of a heavily racist minority area and she has optimal choice in relocation. However, a minority cannot escape all racism of whites, no matter where they go from state to state, because they are still a minority, so they'll always be outnumberd etc.

While I agree her story is bad and its sad that happend to her, its really a cry me a river story about racism to some degree. She'll never experience the racism my grand-parents, parents, or anyone significanly older than me experienced etc, nor will I ever experience that sort of racism. Sure I have my bouts with things that i may precieve as racism, but its rarely in my face and something i can ever clearly pin-point with 100% accuracy etc. Most of my cases are similiars to her's people being rude etc (who really knows why they're rude there's a litany of factors, they could just be rude, ignorant, and nasty people etc you never know)..Rare is it that a person these days will say something blatantly racist outright and to your face (it happens, but its rare)

Fish, stick to the facts and stop trying to pervert any and everything i write.

I needn't twist nor pervert anything you post here, junior.
You constantly carry a chip around on your shoulder and dare anyone to knock it off. Anytime anyone says something you sense as obtuse it sends you into a NY state of mind.

My math was based on 2-3 people of any race...you used it.

BTW - you are starting to spell like Iscalder.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:36 AM

1,389 posts, read 5,683,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compton610 View Post
Well first off I've lived in the county for 18 yrs and I've witnessed my friend get robbed at gun point, another friend get shot, five of my friends get killed by homicide, I've been shot at three times, twice from botched robberies once for being in the middle of a gang fight (wrong place wrong time) car broken into mutiple times; never stolen, saw car jackings, I hear gunshots almost every night. I am from Forestville.
You live in the wrong area,If you want peace,quiet and to be safe you have to spend the money. Move to Upper Marlboro,Bowie,Largo,Clinton,Fort Washington,Mitchellville,BrandyWine,Laurel. In every county,state if you want peace and quiet you have to pay for it.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:51 PM

29,465 posts, read 33,801,777 times
Default Wow now that is sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
You live in the wrong area,If you want peace,quiet and to be safe you have to spend the money. Move to Upper Marlboro,Bowie,Largo,Clinton,Fort Washington,Mitchellville,BrandyWine,Laurel. In every county,state if you want peace and quiet you have to pay for it.
If true that is a sad commentary on society. You need to have a certain level of wealth to have peace and quiet. Does that include Mayberry?

Old 02-15-2008, 09:48 PM

41 posts, read 200,297 times
Compton,
Do you hang out with questionable people or is all of this random? I've lived in PG for 29 years and haven't had any of my friends killed. I'm not judging, just wondering.

Truthhurts,
I'm white and I think your arguments are well thought out and very objective. Fish does seem to be over thinking your comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland