U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 10:01 AM

746 posts, read 611,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compton610 View Post
Well first off I've lived in the county for 18 yrs and I've witnessed my friend get robbed at gun point, another friend get shot, five of my friends get killed by homicide, I've been shot at three times, twice from botched robberies once for being in the middle of a gang fight (wrong place wrong time) car broken into mutiple times; never stolen, saw car jackings, I hear gunshots almost every night. I am from Forestville.

Compton, let me guess most of this happend within a 2-3 mile radius from your house right? In other words none of these incidents happend in various locations across the county.

No offense, but from what I remember about the county Forrestville is no different than dangerous parts of South East DC, so hearing this would not surprise me. If he said Woodmore, Upper Marlboro, Bowie etc I'd question it, but that sounds about right. It is in the Oxon Hill Glassmanor Area and that is not a remotely safe area. Although i definitely agree with the above poster. This just seems like too much crime to happen to a law abiding citizens who does not hangout with a rough crowd.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:31 PM

109 posts, read 572,818 times
Default Did you mean 18 WEEKS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by compton610 View Post
Well first off I've lived in the county for 18 yrs and I've witnessed my friend get robbed at gun point, another friend get shot, five of my friends get killed by homicide, I've been shot at three times, twice from botched robberies once for being in the middle of a gang fight (wrong place wrong time) car broken into mutiple times; never stolen, saw car jackings, I hear gunshots almost every night. I am from Forestville.
In August you started a new thread asking about the most dangerous city in PGC because you and your girlfriend were moving to Suitland or Forestville "soon." If you've attracted all this violence to yourself in 18 WEEKS, you need a priest. Just a suggestion. Or maybe PGPD should put a GPS device on you and follow you around. They could be at the scene of the crime before the crime even happens. In any case, please don't come to Upper Marlboro.

Last edited by maat; 02-16-2008 at 01:09 PM..

Old 02-16-2008, 05:22 PM

471 posts, read 1,602,612 times
I've lived in very good areas and some very bad areas. Growing up in FORESTVILLE my mother's car was vandalized then stolen, I was assaulted, and I was the only witness to a murder... Now my sister got her car stolen twice (different vehicles), her next door neighbors had the DEA banging on their door, my old apartment was broken into, and just the general mentality of people I don't like. Again, folks this is all MY OWN OPINION. I have lived in places from Forestville, to Ft. Washington, to different areas of Hyattsville, Bladensburg, Seat Pleasant, Lanham... Also, the school system sucks. My son who is special needs was in first grade and tested as gifted, but because they didn't know how to deal with his adhd they put him into a special ed school with kids in wheelchairs and who couldn't speak. Needless to say, it wasn't long before they realized their mistake and put him in a regular school. Another school he went to, I had it out with the Princiapl for not enforcing his IEP (the school was later audited by the board of ed because of this) and when I went to go transfer him, she had the audacity to come out her office and say "Oh no, it would be my pleasure to disenroll your child" (stupid b*$#@) anyhow, I'm not confrontational and I was very reasonable but I wasn't having them trying to keep my son back because they were clueless. Like I said, the ghetto mentality and just the element (see above) in my opinion overshadows the good on PG. I now live in Bel Air, where my son goes to one of the top schools in the nation, and performing well. Again, please don't take it personally, I know I grew up in a bad area, but after buying a home in an OK neighborhood and having my next door neighbors teenagers and friends hang out and smoke weed in my shed (I caught them) I felt it was time to go... And Hell no I am not paying 400K and being broke to live in Upper Marlboro/Bowie when I can spend 250K for the same house here and get better quality of life all around. JMO

Old 02-20-2008, 11:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,249 times
I am relocating to MD and i want to live not far from the universityof MD in Adelphi, i need advice on where i should start looking for an appartment to rent and what areas are safe and pleasant and that are not very far from the university - thanx

Old 04-11-2008, 08:47 PM

8 posts, read 43,686 times
I lived in Ft. Washington, really it was Oxon Hill. I lived in a complex called Rosecroft Mews. I had my car attempted stolen twice. The last time it happened, I caught the thieves in the car. I could have been killed. I ran for the hills and never looked back. I now reside in Laurel and have been at peace since.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:04 PM

1,389 posts, read 5,673,379 times
Stolen cars can happen anywhere in the State/Counties in Maryland. Stolen cars are the number 1 crime in the every county. Its also th emost common crime. Not saying its right but I have gotten my car broken into 2 times in 1yr while living in NW DC.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:11 AM

5,256 posts, read 12,565,187 times
My brother was stapped
Our neighbor's kid was shot and killed at a house on the next block
My mom and I were chased by a woman and man in a car after I honked at him to turn right on red. Thank god we lost him.
Our house was broken into by a neighbor
My car was broken into
Gunshots heard on a regular basis throughout the night

For me it took moving 3000 miles away and then returning to PG on a visit to really and truely see how bad things were. I loved our house and yard but it was time to go.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:54 PM

563 posts, read 783,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
Stolen cars can happen anywhere in the State/Counties in Maryland. Stolen cars are the number 1 crime in the every county. Its also th emost common crime. Not saying its right but I have gotten my car broken into 2 times in 1yr while living in NW DC.
Umm out of 30,000 cars stolen in md last year-13,000 in Pg. county alone-thats nearly half the state. P.G county is no where near half of the states population. So this is a alarming statistic indeed.2nd is baltimore city I think 6000 last year. Small baltimore city carrying 1/5 of that crime?? Both places need more police, and more jails. Don't move to P.G. county I've personally been attacked there, robbed, and numerous incidents of my property stolen outside of the beltway. (beltsville) After 21 yrs. I threw in the towel and have been living in A.A. for 15 years now without one incident.

Moderator cut: No personal attacks. Attack the message, not the messenger!!No sane person can sit here and tell me this is such a great place then have a excuse for every statistic out there. If the crime hasn't happened yet, live there long enough and it will smack you in the face.

Last edited by 7th generation; 04-14-2008 at 08:02 AM..

Old 04-14-2008, 07:56 AM

770 posts, read 3,346,076 times
I saw someone get stabbed in PG County. I got lost coming home from a business party and pulled over to park to call my husbad, it was near a MCds and across the way there were a group of guys at a basketball court all of a sudden one of the guys pulled out a knife, stabbed the one guy and everybody ran.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:29 PM

8 posts, read 43,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
I paid alot of money for my cars. I dont know about you, but I was tired of my insurance rates going up. Since I moved, my insurance went down 30 dollars a month and not one incident. I lived in PG county since I was 3, but enough is enough. I understand you wanting to protect the county you love. I loved it at one time too. But I have also watched it decline and when it;s patime to go, it's time to go. There are still parts of So PG that are still good, but not many
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland