Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 03:14 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times

Advertisements

Someone hit on it earlier, property prices in MD are just two high to allow a tiny house movement to start, even in the "cheaper" areas.

Now, go to northern PA then maybe. There are a lot of hunting camps there which would qualify and can be, in some cases, adapted to full time living.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...10-98945?row=7

For example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 01:30 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Couple of weeks ago, a neighbor parked one like that in his driveway while his house was being remodeled. Must be possible to rent them short term.

Ikea is currently experimenting with "movable walls" in Sweden. Hopes to be ready for prime time in 2017. Apart from load bearing issues, I'm not sure what the difference is between a movable wall and a sliding door.

Ikea's Possible Solution to Shrinking Apartments: Movable Walls - CityLab

DC already has shipping container apts. More common in Europe. Containers start at 160 sf and can obviously be adapted to be modular.

A Look Inside DC’s Shipping Container Apartments
My neighbor recently posted this to the community website.

Neighbors,

As promised, I'm sharing with you the information about my son's family and their tiny house adventure. My daughter-in-law has started a blog, which you can find on WordPress under the title "Kismet for Breakfast." They will be chronicling everything about their experience, including why they decided to live in a tiny house, how they found a builder, what it's like to live in such a small space with children and pets, and much more! They will also offer tours again, once everything is set up and ready to go.

Here's a link to the blog: Kismet for Breakfast » Blog Archive » The beginning of our journey…

Old 10-14-2015, 07:58 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,524 times
I haven't seen it yet personally in my work but I am absolutely fascinated by the show. We left a 3000+sqft house to buy a 1400sqft house (2 adults, 2 kids, 2 big dogs). I cannot imagine going any smaller given our current circumstances though. There is something to be said about "less is more" but I get that not everybody wants that.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:29 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,116 times
I'll say this, most millennials I talk to are interested in efficient small houses and blindingly fast internet. They'd gladly live in a 600 sq ft tiny house if they would have access to affordable gigabit internet.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:05 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
I'll say this, most millennials I talk to are interested in efficient small houses and blindingly fast internet. They'd gladly live in a 600 sq ft tiny house if they would have access to affordable gigabit internet.

And they'll stay in it forever just like these Millennials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Z91YkPatw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland