Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,437 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

Curently I live in Alexandria VA andI rent an apartament. I'm ready to buy a house, however, prices in Alexandria are not affordable at all. I don't have 400-500K to buy a 3 bedroom house here. So I have been looking to buy a house in MD.
Any opinion about Waldorf area? Buying a house there would be a good investment or a really bad mistake? I'm looking to stay zip code 20603.
I lived in MD before.
Now is just me and hubby but we plan on having kids. He works at Andrews AFB and I work in DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 07:46 PM

566 posts, read 1,547,722 times
The commute from Waldorf to DC is awful. My boss does that commute, and on a good day with no accidents or bad weather, it takes 90 minutes each way. Personally I think the area is not very appealing, but that's just me. Lots of strip centers, too many tract homes, no culture.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:23 AM

55 posts, read 145,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
The commute from Waldorf to DC is awful. My boss does that commute, and on a good day with no accidents or bad weather, it takes 90 minutes each way. Personally I think the area is not very appealing, but that's just me. Lots of strip centers, too many tract homes, no culture.

This.

I left VA for MD... I regret every minute.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:34 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,922,150 times
There was a shooting at Waldorf over a bike last night- Chuck county is the new SE

Old 10-10-2015, 07:27 PM

4,370 posts, read 7,016,278 times
In your circumstances, I recommend you also consider

Bowie

Crofton

Chesapeake Beach

Dunkirk

Old 10-12-2015, 02:28 PM

311 posts, read 1,380,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
There was a shooting at Waldorf over a bike last night- Chuck county is the new SE
That's about the most ignorant statement I have ever read on this forum. If a shooting over a bike (the details of which seem highly suspect) means a whole city has become SE DC, then the entire DMV has become SE DC. Furthmore, not all of SE DC is even "SE DC" anymore.

OP, I live in Waldorf, and that can be a rather nightmarish commute to DC, unless you learn the back roads. Even with that, more than one segment of backed up traffic is going to be unavoidable. You could take the metro from Branch Avenue. That's definitely a commute that can be shortened by using the back roads.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom21 View Post
That's about the most ignorant statement I have ever read on this forum. If a shooting over a bike (the details of which seem highly suspect) means a whole city has become SE DC, then the entire DMV has become SE DC. Furthmore, not all of SE DC is even "SE DC" anymore.

OP, I live in Waldorf, and that can be a rather nightmarish commute to DC, unless you learn the back roads. Even with that, more than one segment of backed up traffic is going to be unavoidable. You could take the metro from Branch Avenue. That's definitely a commute that can be shortened by using the back roads.
Maybe you should do some research- Southern Maryland has a very bad heroin/opiod problem, as well as a lot of violent (robbery/property/drug) crime, with a homicide occasionly thrown in. Maybe your confused to your surroundings...

Old 10-13-2015, 02:33 PM

44,874 posts, read 59,846,876 times
Quote:
Maybe you should do some research- Southern Maryland has a very bad heroin/opiod problem, as well as a lot of violent (robbery/property/drug) crime, with a homicide occasionly thrown in. Maybe your confused to your surroundings...
The opioid use in SoMD, all three Counties, is factual. It's also factual that Charles County, especially of the three, has seen an increase of all types of crime the last several years.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The opioid use in SoMD, all three Counties, is factual. It's also factual that Charles County, especially of the three, has seen an increase of all types of crime the last several years.
I believe there was yet another overdose resulting in a death just this morning alone...

Old 10-16-2015, 01:22 PM

311 posts, read 1,380,607 times
Quote:
I believe there was yet another overdose resulting in a death just this morning alone...
Why don't you go to the Washington Post crime report for Oct 14-15, and take a look at Montgomery County, Loudon County, Arlington/Alexandria and count the number of incidents for each one of those separately reported areas.

Then look at the report for Charles, Calvert, and St. Mary's County COMBINED and let me know what you come up with, along with your excuses and exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland