Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Concerned citizen seeking ideas, comments on how to improve city through local government, improve local school system, reduce taxes, crime reduction

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 01:31 PM

144 posts, read 630,974 times

Advertisements

You live in NY maybe you should worry about the New City schools.

USATODAY.com - Big-city schools struggle with graduation rates

Old 01-31-2008, 01:54 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,301,367 times
Another great article.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:30 PM

746 posts, read 846,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFMD View Post
The school system is improving:

Deasy’s plans taking root

Um, not living in the area i had no idea the new super was a white guy. Not that it matters.

I will say and quote the most positive thing he said in reference to education

"We need to make sure, that we do not tolerate the subtle racism of low expectations"

Notice his appoarch is no different than mine. He's basically saying the problem is the parents, so get off your a@@ and get involved in your childrens school lives. Also he clearly wants to move away from bigger government involvement and move towards smaller localized school systems. (Funny he's a conservative in a very liberal area)

Anyway, as i posted in my first original post this was not a debate about the school system. This was a medium for people to state an issue, they were concerned about and then state a solution. This solution can already be one that is taking place or additons to one that is taking place. This was not a forum to argue whether you argee or disagree with someone. Nor did anyone in the forum thus far from what I read insult Prince George's County.

I'm very disappointed to see this sort of response to this kind of topic. This was more of an intellectual debate on ideas, that would be more proactive than what "used" to be done "or" what is currently being done to eliminate problems.

Did the first paragraph of my original post not say that clearly?

Living in a world where you're scared of change is only going to push you back into the stone age and being scared to encounter different opinions or solutions only leaves you at a disadvantage. This forum could go in a number of postive ways. I clearly gave people the option in my first question to either praise the county as is or leave a problem and state a solution. This should not be that hard. Some of you all are making this as hard as pulling an aching tooth out of a saber tooth tigers mouth. You're automatically going into fear mode and bitting other peoples head off. Iscalder, sorry to point you out, but please stop it.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:33 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Truth, PG schools are on the best path to success they have had in years. Deasy has done a superior job. He comes from the corporate world and has blended his background in well. Do not factor in any data or articles prior to Deasy because he is charting a new course. He is working hard to change the image of the school system and has put major bucks into marketing nationwide. He like all school administrators has major challenges but he has gotten a lot of folks on board and the consensus is giving him very high grades. You would like him, he comes from a background in business and you may want to do some research on him and the improvements he has made so far. That would be a major plus for the Maryland thread and won't need a magic mirror to be positive.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:27 PM

217 posts, read 752,163 times
When did the affairs of PGC become a "Truthhurts & Iscalder only club" meeting of the minds?
I see real citizens of the county every freaking day and have posed some of what is posted here in your points of view to folks and the only thing that gets a positive reaction is some of the figures Truth puts up. The notion of raising property taxes is shot down quickly, even if I try to put it in a manner Iscalder does - to rid the county of the poor and the criminal element and better the county.

I suggest some of you talk to your neighbors and those you meet about these topics to get a real grip on what makes sense.

Truth,
This...
Living in a world where you're scared of change is only going to push you back into the stone age and being scared to encounter different opinions or solutions only leaves you at a disadvantage. This forum could go in a number of postive ways. I clearly gave people the option in my first question to either praise the county as is or leave a problem and state a solution. This should not be that hard. Some of you all are making this as hard as pulling an aching tooth out of a saber tooth tigers mouth. You're automatically going into fear mode and bitting other peoples head off. Iscalder, sorry to point you out, but please stop it.
...has nothing to do with Truthhurts living in Landover, MD, does it?
No, you smugly bait those of us on this forum to snap at each other when none agree with anything. It probably brings you glee to see such.
Go back to NY and solve the many problems that effect you. You are doing no good here.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:33 PM

144 posts, read 630,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
Um, not living in the area i had no idea the new super was a white guy. Not that it matters.

I will say and quote the most positive thing he said in reference to education

"We need to make sure, that we do not tolerate the subtle racism of low expectations"

Notice his appoarch is no different than mine. He's basically saying the problem is the parents, so get off your a@@ and get involved in your childrens school lives. Also he clearly wants to move away from bigger government involvement and move towards smaller localized school systems. (Funny he's a conservative in a very liberal area)

Anyway, as i posted in my first original post this was not a debate about the school system. This was a medium for people to state an issue, they were concerned about and then state a solution. This solution can already be one that is taking place or additons to one that is taking place. This was not a forum to argue whether you argee or disagree with someone. Nor did anyone in the forum thus far from what I read insult Prince George's County.

I'm very disappointed to see this sort of response to this kind of topic. This was more of an intellectual debate on ideas, that would be more proactive than what "used" to be done "or" what is currently being done to eliminate problems.

Did the first paragraph of my original post not say that clearly?

You start a thread about problems and then bring up a specific problem related to this county that you want to debate intellectually regarding ways to fix it.

You don 't think in lieu of your current residence being in NY and with the city school system being as terrible as it is that the more appropriate thing to do would be to take this debate over to the NY forum and convey your intellectual abilities and great ideas to stimulate debate and maybe solicit dialogue with New Yorkers to improve that school system?

When you compare Prince George's school system to neighboring jurisdictions which are the best in the country there is work that needs to be done to bring it on par with the other jurisdictions. However this school system is on tract and going in the right direction. Just ask college recruiters-

Recruiters Come Calling For Talented Minorities - washingtonpost.com

If you are truly about stimulating intellectual dialogue to solve problems I think you need to focus your attention on your home town. It truly can benefit from some of your problem solving intellectual ability.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:13 AM

Haha Iscalder, Fish, and RFMD

You guys are a riot. I was unaware Weschester County Schools were in miserable disarray and failing. Perpahs you know more about my local area than i do?

Having attended Eleanor Roosevelt High School for a brief period I think im free to weigh in on Prince George's County Schools or the county in general.

I have not addressed this point, because arguing that I should mind my business, because i do not live in the county is not germane to any of the points i make. In fact it is really a weakly formed and corwardice ploy to aviod challenging my assertion or ideas. To simply dismiss clearly logical ideas (whether you agree or disagree) shows your inabilities to actually move forward and tackle problems within your communities.

Now, that's not to say it is not being worked on or steps in the right direction are not being taken. However, from the little I observed about the county almost 8-10 years ago in my brief stay and reading a lot of these forums it seems it has not changed all that drastically.

To keep harping on the state of New York is pointless the area i live in has an excellent school system and an excellent level of community involvement, but again that is neither here nor there in relation to why Prince George's County school system has been in the gutter for such a long period.

You people are just so silly in so many ways it is incredible, that any amount of progress within the county is able to take place. First, i point out in a factual matter exactly what is wrong with the county and how to fix it (not saying my approach is correct or 100%, but its a logical answer to the current problems). I'm labled a race hater, racist, and not compassionate to the plight of the poor. Then after reading boards where people have totally trashed the county saying it is one entire huge crime ridden ghetto and all of it is poor, i gather the facts to prove those people wrong and i'm still attacked by you all. (Part of posting the Welathiest 100, was to show to other Marylanders how valuable Prince George's County actually is to the state of Maryland attaining a number #1 ranking in both wealth and income, while the county does have crime problems it is centrally located to the inner beltway and really does not affect the outer beltway. Also the outer beltway tax base is almost equally as important to the state of Maryland, as the tax base in Montgomery County, which most in the state clearly did not realize. However, many of you namely Fish found that to be offensive)

-Also did anyone note the fact, that the PG bashing stopped once i posted those figures and now that they're gone the PG Bashers are back bashing the county like (Terrpin 212, EMSgoof, whoever else etc not that i care either way but did you notice the effect that posting documented factual information had on these boards in relation to PGC?).

I have never seen such silly logic from people in my life. On the last board i'm attacked for somehow only pointing out problems and not giving solutions (which i've always given when i pointed out a problem). I then post this topic, which if anything could have been a positive topic to balance out the negative post from so many others.

I guess what bothers me is in relation to the poor blacks of the county, which are the one's causing all the crime and the majority of problems is how many people willingly complain about them, but when it comes time to make the tough hard decisions, you all coddle and pacifiy them as if they're babies incapable of understanding right from wrong. You all treat them like social experiments, that have no brains and no ability to reason the hidden racism within that is just mind boggling. (We should not move them, but leave them packed in crime ridden hell holes. We should not hold them accountable for all the crime they commit etc its scary you all think like, that and actually believe this is somehow helping them)

To me I see the subtle racism and bigorty of lowerd expectations on these people because 1. They're poor and 2. They're black. It is not expected because you're black for you to be poor or lawless, so accepting this foolishness and nonsense is exactly why the crime persist and the public schools went downhill to begin with. All i've stressed in every topic is less government and more loacalized community efforts in improving the schools and the county. Sure I also believe no county in the DC area should shelter over 30% of the poverty in the area and it needs to be equally distributed throughout the DC Metro.

Side note not sure why you keep aligning me with raising property taxes. Hello i'm a conservative and fiscally i do not believe in raising taxes on middle and upper class families, so that would not be my remedy to remove the poorer people.

Last edited by truthhurts; 02-01-2008 at 05:52 AM..

Old 02-01-2008, 06:13 AM

Quote:
You start a thread about problems and then bring up a specific problem related to this county that you want to debate intellectually regarding ways to fix it.

You don 't think in lieu of your current residence being in NY and with the city school system being as terrible as it is that the more appropriate thing to do would be to take this debate over to the NY forum and convey your intellectual abilities and great ideas to stimulate debate and maybe solicit dialogue with New Yorkers to improve that school system?

When you compare Prince George's school system to neighboring jurisdictions which are the best in the country there is work that needs to be done to bring it on par with the other jurisdictions. However this school system is on tract and going in the right direction. Just ask college recruiters-

If you are truly about stimulating intellectual dialogue to solve problems I think you need to focus your attention on your home town. It truly can benefit from some of your problem solving intellectual ability.
RFMD, OMG, i'm totally shocked and in awe, that a black kid who comes from an upper middle class well educated two parent household got into MIT. What were the chances?

OMG, that is really freaking amazing. He's truly overcome so many different obstacles in life being so disadvantaged. I hope he truly knows how much of a disadvantage he is at being black and from a well educated family. Well, considering his parents went to college and he grew up in an affluent area id bet his parents were probably very activively involved in his academic life from a very young age. I wonder if this is truly possible?

I guess i'm more shocked that he's upper middle class more than anything (right Fish?)

This was a silly post RFMD, because as i've stressed to you before "upper class" blue kids are not at a disadvantage, because they have the proper family structures, that allow them to be high academic achievers, so is this supposed to be shocking? If a posted the same article about a white male teen from Chevy Chase who grew up in the same household structure

1. Educated Parents
2. Affluent Area
3. Did well in school got accepted to a top notch college

Would that be shocking?

Perhaps the focus should be on how we get black kids from the poor, lower, and middle classes in school I can tell you from experience us (upper class one's) have no trouble getting into elite colleges all along the northeast. Isn't that what "affirmative action" was supposedly designed to do help out those less fortunate Black Americans and Minorities. Seems to me it only bolsters the adimission credits of those blacks that are already qualified and most likely to be going to top notch schools.

Perhaps this article will help out!

University Race-Sensitive Admissions Programs Are Not Helping Black Students Who Most Need Assistance

Old 02-01-2008, 06:22 AM

350 posts, read 1,646,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
Base upon your statement it seems that you do not live in the county and you do not know nothing about the county. Your statments seems to be what you think more then what the county is doing Today to improve the county. If you knew anything about the county you would have known that the county have already build 2 new schools last year and in the process of build more new schools. The county have build new community centers. The county have also added new programs to Pg county schools such as Pre-k to all Elementary schools so the county did not just start these improvements yesterday.

Since you believe improvements can be made to Every system why not mention improvments that need to be made in other county in Maryland because you do not know about the improvements been made in Pg county TODAY.

Their are two sides to a story what you want to do is ONLY BASH THE COUNTY. you are not aware of the POSITIVE CHANGES in the county. YOU ONLY KNOW ABOUT ONE SIDE AND IT SEEMS THATS THE ONLY SIDE YOU WANT TO KNOW.
It really is sad how you can not possibly have an open mind about the county that you live in. I do know that there are positive changes in PG, I also know that there are more changes to be made. Everything can always be made better.
I attended PG County schools for all but 2 years (3rd & 4th grade) of my entire educational life. My best friend teaches at our old hs. My mother works at PGCC. A majority of my friends still live in New Carrollton, along with my Grandparents, mother and brother. I spend plenty of time there, and can see with my own eyes certain things that are happening. I do know that they just added Pre K to the schools, I also know that the high schools are phasing in a whole new system that involves students choosing a major, and going to schools because of that major- regardless of what district they are in. Each high school will have a certain number (I believe it's 8) of core majors. It's a way to focus on academics, which I think will be great, once they get it all straightened out. I also know that my hs is adding on an addition, but because they hired the cheapest possible labor, thay can't use the part that is done, because it wasn't wired correctly- and the fire alarm does not work in the new cafeteria (which is finished). So it just sits there empty, while the students are crammed into other areas until they find a cheap enough way to fix it. This is direct information from a teacher at the school- not supposition.

I will reiterate, since you don't seem to read my posts very carefully, that I would love to hear about the positive changes going on. Please be specific, instead of just stating that there are positive changes being made. Where are the new community centers? How are they doing?

I'm not posting about another county because that's not what this thread is about. In fact, if someone posted this thread about Montgomery County, I would have nothing to say because I don't have any personal knowledge about that county. If it was posted about Howard County, I would post to my knowledge.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:

RFMD, are you serious? I'm in total shock and awe right now. I'm almost speechless. You mean to tell me, a black kid from an upper class, well educated, two parent household, got into MIT?

Wow, that is truly incredable considering the huge disadvantage he is in being black and all. I mean wow, i wonder if these disadvantaged upper middle class blacks all over the country are filling elite college institutions?

OMG, this is a huge shock. To think a person that comes from an educated, two parent, upper class household, that probably fosterd an excellence in education goes on to an IVY League Top notch school? Dude, say it isn't so!

Wait let me get this right. Okay let's say he was a white male, from Chevy Chase, came from a well educated, two parent household, in an affluent area and went on to say Yale, Standford, or MIT would this be newsworthy or shocking? No, exactly so why is it because an upper middle class black does it, is it all of a sudden a big deal?

Just judging by his pedigree i'd expect nothing less of him. What would have been shocking if he was from say Seat Pleasant, District Heights, Capital Heights, Suitland and any other inner beltway ghetto. The same could be said for a white from say Baltimore County and the Dundalk area overcoming the odds and getting into an elite private school. But seriously how often does that happen? Not very or as much as i'd like to see happen.

Hearing about upper middle class children of any race getting into elite colleges is not impressive, but hearing about about poor children of any race break against the odds and get into elite college is impressive.

I'll tell you from experience us upper middle class black folks do not have any trouble getting into elite college, because well, the obvious, we are the best prepared to get into college out of our race.

Kind of throws a wrench into that whole affirmative action debate. I thought the point was to get disadvantaged minorities into elite colleges, not help bolster the already qualified upper middle class miniorities chances. We'd get in without the "boost" or addiontal "help." Um, wow now it makes sense which group of black elitist democrats support such a measure the black elite upper middle class (DUH!).

Here's a nice little article about all of us disadvantage upper middle class black folks some how getting into elite colleges across this country. Seriously who would have thunk it. Black kids from high income families, educated backgrounds, and great parent involvement, getting into elite colleges in the northeast. It sounds like something out of the Twilight Zone.

Here's the aritcle

University Race-Sensitive Admissions Programs Are Not Helping Black Students Who Most Need Assistance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland