Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 10:04 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,510,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
11 pages and counting..... unbelievable.

I think others have already stated that DT SS is very expensive to live-in. I loved it when I lived there, but I couldn't justify paying more than a mortgage payment without some implicit savings through equity build-up. $2000/month for an apartment is not "ghetto", period.

Everyone likes to visit nice places, and so it's natural that DT SS will attract people from all over. Personally, I think its a good not to be constantly bombarded with “sameness” everywhere you walk.

PS: You can't always tell if a person is "ghetto" by how they dress. You'd never know my professional background or how much I make a year by only looking at my long urban shirts, loose fitting jeans, and cheap basketball shoes.
Who said you can't be ghetto while making lots of money and being a professional?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 10:26 PM

100 posts, read 121,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Only people who can afford to live in my area should be able too. No one should get any kind of price discount.

This isn't really complicated so I don't know why you can't grasp it.
Oh, I completely grasp your attitude. What about the "price discount" the well-to-do folks get on mortgage tax write-offs (among many other tax breaks unavailable to those farther down on the ladder)?

A follow-up question: Just how many Section 8 folks are "trespassing" in your elite, gentrified 'hood? Generally, as I understand it (been blessed enough to not have to seek that kind of help), in order to even qualify for those vouchers they cannot have the surplus income to afford these "nice" places. I'm pretty sure the housing programs are not shelling out to put up poor folks in any of the fancy DTSS towers or the new downtown Wheaton condos.

Sorry that you have to "mingle" with the "great unwashed." Use lots of hand sanitizer.

As to the other poster (don't remember the name) who boldly suggested that poor folks contribute nothing: who is currently shoveling your sidewalk/street/business parking lot/etc.? It ain't the upper middle class, and if these non-contributing folks weren't shoveling, your bidness would be hurtin'.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckaroo17 View Post
Oh, I completely grasp your attitude. What about the "price discount" the well-to-do folks get on mortgage tax write-offs (among many other tax breaks unavailable to those farther down on the ladder)?

A follow-up question: Just how many Section 8 folks are "trespassing" in your elite, gentrified 'hood? Generally, as I understand it (been blessed enough to not have to seek that kind of help), in order to even qualify for those vouchers they cannot have the surplus income to afford these "nice" places. I'm pretty sure the housing programs are not shelling out to put up poor folks in any of the fancy DTSS towers or the new downtown Wheaton condos.

Sorry that you have to "mingle" with the "great unwashed." Use lots of hand sanitizer.

As to the other poster (don't remember the name) who boldly suggested that poor folks contribute nothing: who is currently shoveling your sidewalk/street/business parking lot/etc.? It ain't the upper middle class, and if these non-contributing folks weren't shoveling, your bidness would be hurtin'.
No sure what point you are trying to make here.

The poor contribute?

Well I never said they didn't. That was someone else. Respond to that person, not me.

Section 8 "folks" are not allowed to live in expensive neighborhoods?

Good. They shouldn't be.

I sometimes have to "mingle" with the "great unwashed"?

I already said earlier in the thread that I have no issue with mixed income NEIGHBORHOODS. But I have a serious problem with mixed income housing where certain people can live in the same place on the cheap while others pay more.

Well-to-do folks get mortgage tax write-offs?

So only "well-to-do folks" have mortgages? I hope you don't really believe that. If you do, you are VERY uneducated.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:59 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,658,860 times
Quote:
Well-to-do folks get mortgage tax write-offs?

So only "well-to-do folks" have mortgages? I hope you don't really believe that. If you do, you are VERY uneducated.
Ugh. I can't believe I'm bothering to comment in this crap thread again, but FYI, about 77% of the mortgage interest deduction goes to households making over $100K a year. Yes, it's a subsidy that's overwhelmingly for upper-income tax brackets and it costs north of $70 billion a year in federal tax receipts. That's hardly the only subsidy related to mortgages, either, as the exclusion of capital gains on sales of
principal residences is another $22 billion/year subsidy and federal deduction of state/local property tax is another $25 billion/year subsidy. Total, we're talking about roughly $115 billion/year in federal subsidies which, again, overwhelmingly benefit upper-income tax brackets.

Comparatively, Section 8/federal housing vouchers cost taxpayers about 10% of that - roughly $17 billion/year ($17 billion that immediately goes into the pocket of property owners who, once again, are overwhelmingly upper-income). So when you gnash your teeth about "fairness" and how "ghetto" people are being handed such a sweet deal, maybe now you'll understand why everyone jumps down your throat. You're correct the system is not "fair;" you contending poor people have the sweetheart deal when it comes to federal appropriations is what makes no sense.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Ugh. I can't believe I'm bothering to comment in this crap thread again, but FYI, about 77% of the mortgage interest deduction goes to households making over $100K a year. Yes, it's a subsidy that's overwhelmingly for upper-income tax brackets and it costs north of $70 billion a year in federal tax receipts. That's hardly the only subsidy related to mortgages, either, as the exclusion of capital gains on sales of
principal residences is another $22 billion/year subsidy and federal deduction of state/local property tax is another $25 billion/year subsidy. Total, we're talking about roughly $115 billion/year in federal subsidies which, again, overwhelmingly benefit upper-income tax brackets.

Comparatively, Section 8/federal housing vouchers cost taxpayers about 10% of that - roughly $17 billion/year ($17 billion that immediately goes into the pocket of property owners who, once again, are overwhelmingly upper-income). So when you gnash your teeth about "fairness" and how "ghetto" people are being handed such a sweet deal, maybe now you'll understand why everyone jumps down your throat. You're correct the system is not "fair;" you contending poor people have the sweetheart deal when it comes to federal appropriations is what makes no sense.
I never said poor people have a "sweet deal" anywhere. The majority of this thread is people putting words in my mouth because they are overly emotional and sensitive about the topic. If all of you would stop making assumptions, we would have a much better discussion.

As far as upper-income tax bracket people getting tax breaks that exceed the "breaks" the poor get... you have to remember that upper-income people contribute much more to society than the poor do. Their higher income drives the economy because they use their buying power to purchase consumer goods, expensive food, cars, etc. It is only fair that those who contribute MORE are rewarded for it.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:04 PM

15,397 posts, read 25,666,071 times
Quote:
I never said poor people have a "sweet deal" anywhere. The majority of this thread is people putting words in my mouth because they are overly emotional and sensitive about the topic. If all of you would stop making assumptions, we would have a much better discussion.

As far as upper-income tax bracket people getting tax breaks that exceed the "breaks" the poor get... you have to remember that upper-income people contribute much more to society than the poor do. Their higher income drives the economy because they use their buying power to purchase consumer goods, expensive food, cars, etc. It is only fair that those who contribute MORE are rewarded for it.
It's obvious that you do not understand the effects what you are proposing. I'm glad you don't get to make the decisions.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:

Every one of your posts is more nutty and illogical than the last.
"Their higher income drives the economy because they use their buying power to purchase consumer goods, expensive food, cars, etc." is a mind-boggling claim. Wealthy people deserve their massively expensive subsidies because they buy expensive cars and food? Wtf?

First off: no, your claim is categorically false. The wealthiest 1% have a savings rate of over 51% while the average American has a savings rate a fraction of that: 4.8%. Of course rich people might have a nice car or three, but the vast majority of their wealth is - unsurprisingly - parked in accounts rather than spent on goods and services. If your stated goal is to "drive the economy" with "buying power" then what you should do is give the subsidies to everyone BUT rich people.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
It's obvious that you do not understand the effects what you are proposing. I'm glad you don't get to make the decisions.
Do you have any non-emotional arguments that actually hold up to logic? If so, please present one.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Every one of your posts is more nutty and illogical than the last.
"Their higher income drives the economy because they use their buying power to purchase consumer goods, expensive food, cars, etc." is a mind-boggling claim. Wealthy people deserve their massively expensive subsidies because they buy expensive cars and food? Wtf?

First off: no, your claim is categorically false. The wealthiest 1% have a savings rate of over 51% while the average American has a savings rate a fraction of that: 4.8%. Of course rich people might have a nice car or three, but the vast majority of their wealth is - unsurprisingly - parked in accounts rather than spent on goods and services. If your stated goal is to "drive the economy" with "buying power" then what you should do is give the subsidies to everyone BUT rich people.
Guess what? I'm not talking about wealthy people. I have never mentioned wealthy people in this entire thread.

More putting words in my mouth. That has been the pattern in this thread. Please stick to the facts and don't make assumptions. Please and thank you.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Guess what? I'm not talking about wealthy people. I have never mentioned wealthy people in this entire thread.

More putting words in my mouth. That has been the pattern in this thread. Please stick to the facts and don't make assumptions. Please and thank you.
You appear incapable of actual, substantive replies. Oh well. Not surprising considering the naive and uneducated premise on which you base your worldview about "ghetto" people and "fairness." Goodbye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland