Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 11:17 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,507,232 times

Advertisements

Over the years much development has occurred to make downtown Silver Spring and Wheaton more upscale and (I'm assuming) more attractive to better crowd of people. Yet, nothing seems to change in those areas. Its the same low income ghetto people that have always been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 12:07 AM

2,172 posts, read 2,652,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Over the years much development has occurred to make downtown Silver Spring and Wheaton more upscale and (I'm assuming) more attractive to better crowd of people. Yet, nothing seems to change in those areas. Its the same low income ghetto people that have always been there.
?? Flagged.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:17 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,941,721 times
Quote:
You are making a great deal of assumptions about Silver Spring. Downtown Silver Spring is not that low income in general, and you are pretty out of touch if you think it is. It's diverse, but diverse does not mean poor or low income in this case, with Silver Spring, it's actual diversity. I don't know of many low income people that can frankly afford places like Urban Butcher, or the rents or housing costs in downtown Silver Spring.

It's not east of the river by any means, it's not even PG county. Downtown Silver Spring is pretty affluent by typical American standards. From a demographic standpoint it tracks to the higher end of middle class and upper middle class mostly. Just because there are more black people and immigrants than Bethesda does not mean it is a poor area or low income area. I should note, many of the Black people who regular Silver Spring are upper middle class and wealthy, they are often homeowners from Shepherd Park and Colonial Village. The rest are ethopian immigrants who are largely middle class.

The real truth is Silver Spring attracts people from all around the DC area for the entertainment, but that's the case with many other places in the DC area. The result is a diverse crowd on many nights.

It should be noted it has the highest concentration of millenials right now in the DC area as well.

Basically the people who live in Silver Spring is mostly middle class and upper-middle class. People below the poverty level represent around 10% of the population in the CDP, and they largely live in the eastern part towards university blvd, away from downtown. Because Silver Spring attracts a diverse crowd, and is safe, you have people from various racial and ethnic backgrounds go there. But the area itself is by no means poor.

I don't know where you have this delusional attitude that Silver Spring is low income, but it is certainly not informed by reality. Even the restaurants represent a mix of higher end places, chains, and ethnic restaurants. Low income places would not have such a vibrant mix.

Wheaton is a more traditionally middle class immigrant area, in fact it is one of the few real middle class places in the DC metro area. Seriously, if you want to see low income go east of the river in DC. That's predominantly low income.

It should be noted Silver Spring is gentrifying, but it will be much harder to tell because the area is by no means struggling. This is not like H St or U St which had husks of abandoned buildings lining the streets suddenly getting an influx of businesses. On the contrary, Silver Spring is already a healthy middle class area that is getting more upscale businesses as time goes on. Taking the scale of developments...many will take more time. Even then I don't think Silver Spring having a diverse retail and restaurant mix will shift dramatically to entirely high end stores. Nor should it.

Last edited by DistrictSonic; 12-22-2015 at 01:27 AM..

Old 12-22-2015, 04:34 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,789,324 times
what type of idiot wrote this trash?? its being reported. and take a trip to the hood and see what its really about it not silver spring. and nothing new about wheaton really but dissing folks on here who live there is wack . move out dmv if u hate it here so much hater.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:53 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,507,232 times
I agree that people who actually live directly in Downtown Silver Spring are generally middle to upper middle class. I used to live in Downtown Silver Spring before I moved to DC. They have a lot of expensive high rises. Wheaton is more working class, but they have recently built up some new units that look expensive.

But even with all this new development, the people haven't changed much since I lived there. You still see more ghetto and low income people in these areas than you do in Rockville, Bethesda, etc.

It might be since downtown Silver Spring is so close to the Georgia Avenue strip that hasn't really been gentrified much.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:50 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,789,324 times
Quote:
I agree that people who actually live directly in Downtown Silver Spring are generally middle to upper middle class. I used to live in Downtown Silver Spring before I moved to DC. They have a lot of expensive high rises. Wheaton is more working class, but they have recently built up some new units that look expensive.

But even with all this new development, the people haven't changed much since I lived there. You still see more ghetto and low income people in these areas than you do in Rockville, Bethesda, etc.

It might be since downtown Silver Spring is so close to the Georgia Avenue strip that hasn't really been gentrified much.
ight. true that not much is changed. this whole thing is your opinion. and u really haven’t been in dc long if u don’t know already that rockville/bethesda is the most rich areas for some reason. so whats the point of this? everybody knows here wheaton and silver spring are not as rich as other places, you not saying anything new. and quit complaing about ghetto folks, they all just wannabes. you just hating on silver spring. ok i don’t care.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:58 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,941,721 times
Quote:

Except for the fact that the adjacent neighborhoods on the Georgia Ave strip are Takoma and Shepherd Park. Shepherd Park is and upper and upper-middle class, and Takoma is upper middle class and upper-middle class (and rapidly gentrifying). There are not that many poor people who live in that part of DC (the 20012 zip code). The strip is not really reflective of the neighborhoods either, and only declined because of the closure of Walter Reed. It's more commercial vacancy associated with a base closure than it is high poverty. Likewise will likely revitalize quickly now that the Walter Reed redevelopment deal is pretty much a done deal. Again...you really do not know the area very well. Never mind the fact that the not already wealthy areas of Ward 4 further to the south are gentrifying. But the area of DC immediately adjoining Silver Spring, are not low income.

Again on the Silver Spring side, Georgia ave is not what a poor neighborhood looks like. It's more reminiscent of U St. five years ago than it is of an area consistently impoverished. Meaning it has a mix of ethnic restaurants, some trendy ones, and a few night clubs. Hell Silver Spring even has two large entertainment anchors likes U St (the Fillmore and AFI).

Again, Silver Spring attracts people from throughout the region of all economic classes and ethnicities. It's not explicitly wealthy like Bethesda or Chevy Chase, it has actual diversity. It is one of the few area in DC which has this, and it is in no way a bad thing. Montgomery County LIKES that about this area, it is the DC areas melting pot.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:22 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,151,067 times
Best laugh I've had all day, going to also complain Manhattan has remained too stagnant? Home prices have skyrocketed in Wheaton/SS; just because they don't look like some Tea Party white supremacist fantasy doesn't mean the area hasn't gentrified. You clearly have no memory of Downtown Silver spring and Wheaton in the 90s when they really were dangerous ghettos , now they're generally safe with tons of development. So you're saying the multiple developers in the area financing large scale projects are insane people who want to throw their money away in a Mad Max-like post apocalyptic war zone?

Old 12-23-2015, 07:08 AM

13,323 posts, read 26,772,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
You clearly have no memory of Downtown Silver spring and Wheaton in the 90s when they really were dangerous ghettos , now they're generally safe with tons of development.
That statement is baloney also. Wheaton and Silver Spring have always been middle class areas with a few low rent apartments. They were never ghettos.

I am a middle class person who recently sold my house for a good profit in Kemp Mill in the Wheaton zip code.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:44 AM

769 posts, read 823,680 times
I wouldnt call Silver Spring ghetto, come on... It's not Anacostia or SE DC or "most of PG county" by any means
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland