Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 01:48 AM

5 posts, read 16,367 times

Advertisements

Young female professional, will come to New Hampshire Ave. 20903 for her first job...

The most important thing is to rent a room in a safe place, but I am a newcomer and have no idea where to find. There is one bedroom for rent on the Amherst Ave, wheaton/silver spring (20902) (shared with a high school girl). Is it a good option?

Thanks for any kind of info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 05:53 PM

74 posts, read 420,432 times
Define "safe," I guess. The neighborhood around Amherst Ave should be safer than where you're working, but I don't know that I would live there as a young, single woman.

Maybe I'm old. Maybe I'm a giant wuss. But I lived in West Philly for 4 years while I went to college, so I don't think the latter is true. I just wouldn't live there if I had other options.

The closer you can get to downtown Silver Spring, the safer you'll be. There are quite a few high-rise apartment buildings that have gone up around downtown SS over the past 10 years or so. I'm sure there are many that have people looking for roommates. That would be a good option for me.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:49 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,696,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luludeyang View Post
Young female professional, will come to New Hampshire Ave. 20903 for her first job...

The most important thing is to rent a room in a safe place, but I am a newcomer and have no idea where to find. There is one bedroom for rent on the Amherst Ave, wheaton/silver spring (20902) (shared with a high school girl). Is it a good option?

I personally do not like Wheaton. My colleague would commute on the bus and there would be fights all of the time.

Closer in around East west highway and 16th street has more 'safer' places since I see lots of singles live around there.

CrimeReports.com

Plug in the zip code and look at the crime concentration in the area of interest.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:54 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,696,799 times
Quote:

I will be judgemental so here it goes:

High school girl - should she not be living with her parents? Sounds like an episode of the Odd couple to me. I advise against that strongly. There is a massive difference in priorities between a professional and a high school student. Unless she is a straight A college bound for an Ivy League school without a boyfriend, I would not consider it. Spend the extra bucks and avoid the headache and liability, please.

I personally do not like Wheaton (no offense to the Wheatonians, ok?). My colleague would commute on the bus and there would be fights all of the time.
Looking at the crime blotter there are numerous vehicle thefts and burglaries. Just check the site below.

Closer in around East west highway and 16th street has more 'safer' places.

CrimeReports.com

Plug in the zip code and look at the crime concentration in the area of interest.

Will you be driving or taking the Metro? Living near the Metro is a big advantage.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:19 PM

Default Thanks all

Thanks all for your reply!

I have found an apartment in Greenbelt (Lakeside North Apartment), shared with two single young female graduates in UMCP.

It's said that that apartment is safe since the police office is one block away. I've no idea about the traffic, by google map it takes 15 minutes to commute to my work.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:00 PM

339 posts, read 1,514,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I will be judgemental so here it goes:

High school girl - should she not be living with her parents? Sounds like an episode of the Odd couple to me. I advise against that strongly. There is a massive difference in priorities between a professional and a high school student. Unless she is a straight A college bound for an Ivy League school without a boyfriend, I would not consider it. Spend the extra bucks and avoid the headache and liability, please.

All I have to say is that you read my mind!

Old 02-19-2008, 02:52 PM

7,070 posts, read 9,492,605 times
Sorry for butting in. I'm actually in PG country. But I couldn't help but notice how people classify places as "safe." Safe is a mindset. You have no control over how safe you are unless you lock yourself in your house and never step outside. People are probably thinking that since I live in PG County, I live in an unsafe neighborhood. But it's quite the opposite. Well all know that life brings us unexpected situations. Sure, you can live somewhere that people may think is safe. And still be robbed, abducted, etc. I've lived all over the DC/MD area from Southeast to Adelphi where I live now and I have not experienced or witnessed any crime in my life time. Also, there are always common-sense precautions one takes when waling ANYWHERE in a densely populated area. Such as walking in brightly lit areas. Not carrying a big purse etc. I got approached by a drug addict in an upscale apartment complex in Germantown, MD. Completely caught off guard because I Assumed I was safe the further away from DC I got. But I had to be reminded that feeling safe is a mindset. We can try our best to shield ourselves from crime, but it lurks in ALL areas. My friend is a property manager in Bethesda, MD. Considered the Rodeo Drive of East Coast. Stores get robbed at gunpoint. Women are still abducted and rapped. Find what YOU like and what is convenient and affordable for YOU because if you listen to people long enough, pretty soon, every zipcode will be labeled as unsafe. Lots of bias in this forum.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:09 PM

15,395 posts, read 25,634,879 times
Quote:
Thanks all for your reply!

I have found an apartment in Greenbelt (Lakeside North Apartment), shared with two single young female graduates in UMCP.

It's said that that apartment is safe since the police office is one block away. I've no idea about the traffic, by google map it takes 15 minutes to commute to my work.
15 minutes to New Hampshire ave is pushing it. I''d guess anywhere from 15 to 30 min., or more. Depends on where on NH ave you work. I could suggest some routes if you want?

Old 02-22-2008, 02:57 AM

Default That would be more helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
15 minutes to New Hampshire ave is pushing it. I''d guess anywhere from 15 to 30 min., or more. Depends on where on NH ave you work. I could suggest some routes if you want?
Thanks a lot! I will work on 10903 NH ave.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:57 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,634,879 times
Quote:
Thanks a lot! I will work on 10903 NH ave.
There are 4 routes that I would use.

1. beltway to NH - In the morning it can, and often does, get really bad.

2. 201 Kenilworth south to 193 - Univerity Blvd / Greenbelt rd. turn right. take 193 to Metzerzott and turn right. Make another right on Adelphi rd. Finally turn right on NH.

3. 201 Kenilworth north to Powder Mill Rd and turn left. Take Powder Mill rd all the way to NH and turn right.

4. North on 201 to Sunnyside {trun left} to Rhode Island ave {turn right} to Rt. 1 {turn left} {then immediate right} on Montgomery. Take Montgomery to Powder Mill and turn left {sharp turn - almost a U turn}. Take Powder Mill to NH adn turn right.)

The 4th route is going to have the least amount of traffic, but will not always be faster than the Beltway. That's the way I would go if the Beltway is jammed up. It's easier than it looks in my description. The 2 nd route would be another good alternative to the beltway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland