U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 07:26 AM

1 posts, read 408 times

Advertisements

Hi! Thanks for this great resource! I have read many pages of comments and have been making notes. Here's our thumbnail sketch: My husband will be working in Bethesda. We are re-locating in the summer...but don't know where to land as of yet. Our sons, 14 and 17 are both jazz musicians and so we are looking for a school with strong music/performing arts. I've found 3 so far, including the Duke Ellington School in downtown DC. (I wouldn't drive it, but may likely find our way in by metro/subway? I don't know anything about this yet )
We are used to the energy of New York (lived there for 17 years), the international vibrancy of Montreal (lived there too), the theater and restaurants and fun things to do in NY and Philly (live here now) and the clean and safe neighborhoods of South Jersey (lived here too). We may not buy at first, but rentals are tricky. We have a drummer and a pianist who practice at home at lot, so that won't work in an apartment. Would you recommend renting a home? If we were to paint an ideal area, it would be a place where there's a sense of community, open down to earth and vibrant people, lots of restaurants, health-minded people, yoga and meditation studios, fun things to do like Improv classes or art programs, recreation, walking or biking, and maybe even a jazz club! We can't live in DC. It doesn't make sense. We could live near or north (west?) of Bethesda...we are not "keeping up with the Jones'" people at all. We are fun and worldly peeps who have traveled a lot in our lives and have great love for a melting pot of cultures, and have respect for higher education, gathered wisdom and inspired people who do interesting things with their lives. Our older son is a year out from college so his senior year of high school has to hit the right note for fit. Best high school music program would be the first on his list. I've researched and found Winston Churchill, Albert Einstein, Duke Ellington. Any other ideas? And suggestions for areas we might like to call home? Feels so disorienting at this stage. Phew! Thanks in advance!! I'm looking forward to the conversation here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 08:00 AM

12,699 posts, read 24,182,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcatsrus View Post
I've found 3 so far, including the Duke Ellington School in downtown DC...... Best high school music program would be the first on his list. I've researched and found Winston Churchill, Albert Einstein, Duke Ellington. Any other ideas?
The first problem is that Duke Ellington is part of the District of Columbia Public Schools, as far as I understand. So you must be a resident of the District to attend. If you can't live in the District, your son is not eligible.

If you plan to live in Montgomery County, then also check out the James Hubert Blake High School in Colesville, MD. It is named after Eubie Blake the Ragtime musician and it has an arts and music program. You would need to be a resident of the Northeast Consortium (NEC) area, and be selected by a lottery. The NEC is generally the Silver Spring and Coleville area. Web site here: School Overview - Montgomery County Public Schools, Rockville, MD

Albert Einstein is part of the Downcounty consortium, so you would have to live in that attendance zone for your son to attend. That is generally southern end of Silver Spring, Wheaton and parts of Rockville. More info on the clusters is here: http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/d...ers/index.aspx

We used to live in the Kemp Mill area of Silver Spring (20902), and found it very convenient and enjoyable. There are numerous international restaurants in Wheaton, and it is convenient to metro for trips to DC. There is also a great park for walking and biking, and there are nearby public ice-skating, indoor pools and tennis courts. You can undoubtedly find a house to rent for about $2400-2800. Most will have basements where the kids can practice.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-04-2016 at 08:56 AM..

Old 01-04-2016, 08:48 AM

12,699 posts, read 24,182,233 times
If you want your son to attend Winston Churchill, you will have to live in the attendance zone for Churchill. That is roughly Potomac, zip code 20854. Single family house rents are more expensive, typically $2800-3200/month and upwards. Potomac is definately a more upscale community, but you can certainly find a house with a basement for the kids to practice in. I think of Potomac as "keeping up with the Jones" territory, but you could probably find compatible friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland