U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:08 PM

9 posts, read 40,055 times

Advertisements

I am starting a new job at NIH (Bethesda) the first of May and would like to know if folks in the area think that commuting from Columbia to there on Hwy 29 is a "passable commuting option" We are relocating from Seattle and many years ago I was stationed at Aberdeen for the US Army so I know traffic in the area is tough...we are looking at living on the western side of the state as well and commuting down 270 and any thoughts on that would be appreciated as well...I am familiar with the transit options and would consider those but wanted to see if driving could also be an option...lots of other ??? to but will start with this for now...thanks and I look forward to chatting with some of you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 07:05 AM

12,553 posts, read 18,926,430 times
Commuting down 270 is going to be easier than getting there from Columbia, most of the time. NIH isn't far from 270. The Beltway between 270 and 95 is horrible.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:11 AM

703 posts, read 2,551,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Commuting down 270 is going to be easier than getting there from Columbia, most of the time. NIH isn't far from 270. The Beltway between 270 and 95 is horrible.

Fully agree with dfk747. Absolute best thing to do for you is to live on the west side by 270 then you can take the redline METRO straight into the NIH Medical Center station. You take the escalator out of the station and the entrance to NIH is just a 30 seconds walk away and the NIH shuttle buses are just another 30 seconds walk away from the entrance gate. With NIH, if you take public transport, more likely than not, they will spend for it.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:29 AM

Thank you for the replies...I have talked with some of the folks that work there and they also recommend that I do what you mention...with that in mind what recommendations can you give on best places to live...we were also considering Olney which I know is not real close to 270 but I was thinking about driving from there to Rockville and then taking the metro in...we are going to rent a house for the short term but will probably buy within a year...our range is 2000-2500 month for rent. We have a newborn so schools aren't necessarily important now but they will be...look forward to hearing back!!

Old 02-06-2008, 07:45 AM

703 posts, read 2,551,500 times
I just sent you a direct message. Let me know if you did not receive it. Oh by the way, I worked for the US Army for 5 years at APG Edgewood Arsenal side too.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:24 PM

198 posts, read 834,080 times
I would stay as far west as possible. think you'd be better off living near the red line. I like Olney, but it is not convenient for commuting or getting around the metro area in general. I live in Kensington (between Bethesda and Silver Spring, just north of Chevy Chase) and have 3 neighbors who work for NIH.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:40 PM

74 posts, read 384,643 times
I think everyone is right in saying coming south on 270 will be an easier commute than coming down Rt. 29 and then taking the Beltway, but even so, 270 Southbound is a disaster almost every morning from at least Gaithersburg down to the Spur (where it meets the Beltway, where you would need to exit to reach NIH).

If you're just looking to rent for the first year, you can find something much closer than that. I live in Potomac right at the Rockville border, and I know a lot of houses in my neighborhood are renting in that range. Commuting from there to NIH would be much easier than commuting from Olney.

But if the plan is to settle in a place like Columbia, I wouldn't necessarily rule it out just because of the commute. There's always the MARC train, which would take you into Union Station, and from there, you could take the Red Line Metro out to NIH. That's a trip and a half, but at least you could get work done as you commute and it's relatively stress free.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:05 PM

I am talking with a realtor who serves Howard county and she is really pushing the positives of living in the columbia area...as far as commute she is saying to take 29 to randolph road and then take that to rockville pike and into NIH...she is saying that it would take 30 to 45 minutes on that route...I will be leaving early (6AM) and heading home around 4...we are also thinking long term about affordability of housing and columbia fits that goal very well...thanks to all for your insights!

Old 02-06-2008, 07:25 PM

12,553 posts, read 18,926,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbasix View Post
...as far as commute she is saying to take 29 to randolph road and then take that to rockville pike and into NIH...she is saying that it would take 30 to 45 minutes on that route...I will be leaving early (6AM) and heading home around 4...
Going down Randolph will not save much, if any, time compared to using the
Beltway. It'sa long way, with many lights, and lots of other traffic, from 29 to Rockville Pike. It also curves to the North a bit, making it a longer distance to travel. I still think that to the West, near 270 (North Potomac or Potomac / Rockville) would give you an easier commute. Columbia is nice, but not really any nicer than that area.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:01 PM

415 posts, read 1,777,368 times
I used to live in Columbia and would have to commute to NIH for a job I had in college.
Basically it would take just around an hour driving taking the back roads:
Rt. 216 to Lime Kiln Rd, left on Lime Kiln
Left on Ednor Rd
Ednor turns into Layhill Rd
Right on Norbeck Rd (Rt. 28)
Rt. 28 to Rockville Pike (Rt. 355), turn left
Rt. 355 to NIH on the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland