Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 10:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,022 times

Advertisements

Hi, Could anyone please provide feedback on Mount Rainier?

I've read that the community is undergoing and/or primed for redevelopment. For example, the Gateway project, the impact of the arts, etc. I last visited Mount Rainier in the 90's. It was quiet, a mix of small homes and a few apartment complexes, a post office, etc., not much more. Not fancy or upscale, but quiet, clean, livable, walkable streets with a few quirky/colorful bungalows (how's that for a description when you are at a loss for a description?).

How would you describe Mount Rainier of 2016?

I assume that like other parts of the region, housing there may have been touched by foreclosures and related maintenance issues. From online real estate searches, I see housing that reminds me of DC in the 90's- depending on where you were, many homes did not seem to have been renovated (and were fine), yet they were along side a few that were renovated as people discovered neighborhoods and started flipping houses. However, it is hard to tell from online searches- are single family housing renovations the norm or the exception in Mount Rainier? Are the exterior of houses generally in good shape or are code enforcement issues the norm (recognizing it may depend on the street or neighborhood)? Are folks buying and renovating homes for rental property or for home occupancy? I'm hoping the latter.

Do you see Mount Rainier redeveloped physically along the main corridor, but retaining that small neighborhood/nook feel? Or the overall community becoming something totally different? One of the forums noted an upcoming Whole Foods location nearby. So it seems there is quite a change taking place in the area.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 05:57 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilingtraveler View Post
Hi, Could anyone please provide feedback on Mount Rainier?

I've read that the community is undergoing and/or primed for redevelopment.
That may be. At the moment there are more foreclosures and pre-foreclosure auctions on Zillow than there are active listings. Of the properties that show renovation attempts, they are poorly or cheaply done.

Mount Rainier may be up-and-coming, but I don't see it attracting the yuppies yet. If I were investing, I would look at NE Washington or Hyattsville instead.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:22 AM

789 posts, read 1,095,900 times
Mount Rainier is surrounded by up and coming neighborhoods, which makes it prime real estate for when Hyattsville and Brookland DC eventually becomes overpriced (happening as we speak). It would be a great medium to long term investment.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:30 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
Mount Rainier is surrounded by up and coming neighborhoods, which makes it prime real estate for when Hyattsville and Brookland DC eventually becomes overpriced (happening as we speak). It would be a great medium to long term investment.
In addition, revitalization is marching down Rhode Island Ave. in DC. from the R.I. Ave metro east. And as the OP mentioned, there are a few mixed-use projects already on the boards for the downtown area. There may be foreclosures, but it's not difficult to see that the area as a whole is getting an infusion of revitalization and gentrification. Mount Rainier is the gateway to the arts district after all.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,022 times
Goldenage1, seanlax, and adelphi_sky
Thank you for your responses. I appreciate your feedback.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:57 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
That may be. At the moment there are more foreclosures and pre-foreclosure auctions on Zillow than there are active listings. Of the properties that show renovation attempts, they are poorly or cheaply done.

Mount Rainier may be up-and-coming, but I don't see it attracting the yuppies yet. If I were investing, I would look at NE Washington or Hyattsville instead.
I wouldn't use Zillow as a guide or an indication of anything, especially for foreclosure and pre-foreclosure stuff.

Mt. Rainier may very well become very relevant, but it may still be three to five years out. But it will likely happen. It's close to the arts district in Hyattsville, and already has a good reputation. It is kind of a less expensive and smaller version of Takoma Park, MD. The important thing it has is a mix of housing stock. It was a streetcar suburb, and as such it's housing stock is not defined by early post-WWII houses exclusively. This may be the last affordable streetcar suburb.

Nothing is happening rapidly, again it has a good location near Brookland, the Hyattsville art's district, and RI ave. All three which are experiencing massive investment.

This is not fancy or upscale, and is likely never to be. Truth be told, you are not going to get fancy or upscale for the price point of the houses in this area.

But if you are looking for a residential neighborhood within the Beltway which will not set you back, but is a hippy-dippy place that is a cheaper alternative to Takoma/Takoma Park area. This would fit.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:33 AM

37 posts, read 91,191 times
I don't want to hi-jack someone else's thread, but I saw the discussion of hyattsville....

I am going to be relocating to the DC area in the next two months and I have been scanning the real estate websites....Hyattsville to College park along the metro has been intriguing me b/c of the pricing versus Takohoma Park to Silver Spring.

I lived in the district in 2008 and spent a lot of time from Cleveland Park up the red line to Silver Spring and a lot of time on the U street corridor. My requirements were different then as I was single; now I am looking for easy commute to downtown, single family house, walkability, and in a few years quality of schools will be a concern.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:00 PM

662 posts, read 783,172 times
Mt. Rainier just looks so depressing and the abundance of large apartment buildings in such a small town make me feel like development is not going to happen

Old 03-14-2016, 03:37 AM

37 posts, read 91,191 times
Interesting outlook on Mt Ranier....

Old 03-16-2016, 06:35 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times
A potentially awesome new restaurant in Mt. Rainier. A new southern cajun restaurant. Seems legit. DC-ish type spot.

Bird Kitchen & Cocktails. Reservations on Opentable.com.

Bird Kitchen + Cocktails

Yelp reviews are pretty solid.
Bird Kitchen and Cocktails - 47 Photos - American (New) - Mount Rainier, MD - Reviews - Yelp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland