U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2008, 04:57 PM
eak eak started this thread

6 posts, read 18,797 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to the D.C. area for a job. The office is in Gaithersburg, so I'm doing some research on where would be good places to live if I did move.

I like a suburban area with a single-family house on a decent-sized lot. I'd be looking for something under $400,000. From my initial searches, it doesn't look like I could find anything around Gaithersburg that would fit my criteria. I've seen some houses that look like they'd fit my bill in Sterling, VA, but I can't tell how bad the commute would be from there. My guess is it's probably pretty bad, but I'd love to find out I'm wrong. I'd like it to be less than 30 minutes, but I don't know if I'm completely dreaming about that possibility.

If anyone has any other suggestions for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 05:21 PM

3,425 posts, read 7,939,009 times
I think you'll need to stay in Maryland if you want a commute that is 30 minutes or less and where you can get a house on a decent-sized lot for $400,000 or less.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:12 AM

12,553 posts, read 18,921,472 times
Sterling to Gaithersburg is a long way even without traffic. It would work if Maryland would allow another bridge over the river, but in the current situation, it is an awful commute.

I'm not sure where to find houses for that price range, but it would likely be to the North towards Frederick or beyond.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:18 AM

Thank you for the answers. I really appreciate it.

It looks like there might be some possibilities in the Beltsville/Hyattsville areas as well, but again, hard to tell what kind of commute time I would be looking at. Any thoughts on those areas?

Old 02-09-2008, 11:45 AM

Beltsville to Gaithersburg would take 30 min to 1 hour or more depending on traffic. One of the worst parts of the Beltway is the portion between 95 and 270. 270 nortnhbound in the AM would be good.

Hyattsville would not be a place I reccommend, but it is further away then Beltsville. There is a Metro station in Hyattsville if you wanted to use that to get to Gaithersburg.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:00 PM

Thanks so much. This information is really helpful.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:13 PM

3,425 posts, read 7,939,009 times
The Metro does not go to Gaithersburg; the closest the western branch of the Red Line gets is Shady Grove, which is a short distance outside of Gaithersburg.

I have no idea about the home prices in Maryland relative to the distance from DC (which is why I didn't post this above; I wanted to see other people's responses), but I'd guess northern Frederick County (i.e. north of the city of Frederick), southern Frederick County near Brunswick or Point of Rocks, or somewhere along I-70 east of Frederick (northern Howard County or southern Carroll County) might meet your criteria.

One additional benefit if the Brunswick/Point of Rocks area fits what you are looking for is the MARC Brunswick Line (commuter rail) has stops in both that area and Gaithersburg. Obviously how close the Gaithersburg area stops are to your work would determine whether commuter rail would be a viable commuting option.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
The Metro does not go to Gaithersburg; the closest the western branch of the Red Line gets is Shady Grove, which is a short distance outside of Gaithersburg.
Ride-On buses can get them to Gaithersburg from Shady Grove though.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:28 AM

478 posts, read 1,650,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eak View Post
Thank you for the answers. I really appreciate it.

It looks like there might be some possibilities in the Beltsville/Hyattsville areas as well, but again, hard to tell what kind of commute time I would be looking at. Any thoughts on those areas?
Beltsville and Hyattsville can be a bit sketchy in areas but you could find what you want, except not much land.

I'd actually say go towards Carroll or Frederick Counties. A bit of a commute but you'd be "away" from much of the traffic instead of going across it to Beltsville or right through it to VA.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:37 AM

Thanks everyone for all the information. It's been really helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland