U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2008, 07:37 PM

2 posts, read 19,317 times

Advertisements

We are currently looking to buy a townhouse in the germantown, gaithersburg, montgomery village area. Any suggestions about which area is best to live as far as crime rate, etc? Some of the germantown streets we have looked at are grotto ct (right off of 119), flag harbor drive, country ridge drive (close to father hurley blvd). Some of the gaithersburg streets we have looked at are weathervane (near golf course in montg village), millstream (same area as weathervane). And montgomery village areas are lumaryn place (close to weathervane also).

Any suggestions will help! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 09:23 PM

703 posts, read 2,551,070 times
I'm living in Germantown right now and all I can say is that the closer you get to Wisteria/Middlebrook areas, the worst it gets. That is where the section 8 housings are located and crimes are quite prevalent there. I would not go too far away from the Great Seneca (119) and Clopper (117) intersection. For Gaithersburg, I would avoid Mont Village and try to stay on the west side of 270. Almost anything near 355 appears ghetto with high crimes. If it is within your budget, I would suggest you look at the Kentlands and Lakelands areas in Gaithersburg. Also, most of the areas along 119 between Quince Orchard Road and Clopper Road appear pretty nice.

Big caveat, the schools aren't the best except for the Darnestown areas.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 19,317 times
so you think the golf course area in montgomery village is a bad area? the address we have technically says gaithersburg....but who knows ....i think its one of those that can go by gaithersburg slash montg village

Old 02-10-2008, 05:54 AM

12,553 posts, read 18,921,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofan View Post
For Gaithersburg, I would avoid Mont Village and try to stay on the west side of 270. Almost anything near 355 appears ghetto with high crimes.
Have you ever been to a real "ghetto"? Nowhere in Gaithersburg resembles a real "Ghetto". Higher crime than west of 270 perhaps, but not "ghetto", whatever that is supposed to mean.

Quote:
If it is within your budget, I would suggest you look at the Kentlands and Lakelands areas in Gaithersburg. Also, most of the areas along 119 between Quince Orchard Road and Clopper Road appear pretty nice.
Not a bad suggestion.

Big caveat, the schools aren't the best except for the Darnestown areas.[/quote]

I've got kids in Ridgeview and Quince Orchard schools and they seem all right to me.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:26 PM

623 posts, read 800,367 times
Weathervane is very close to me and in Mont. Village.

There is some walk-through crime. Cars parked on the circle and Arrowhead Rd. often get their windows smashed (so if you do move here, park your car in front of your house or at least in front of a neighbor's house--NOT in the circle. And of course due to our covenants commercial vehicles & pickups have no choice but to park in the circle. We had someone attempt forced entry to our car (once in 7 years). Our neighbors in the end unit also had an attempt at forced entry to their house-- twice, none succeeded, but their house is next to a dead end/common area. MOST of the crime in Mont. Village is not in this particular neighborhood, but like I said we do get some walk-through. It wasn't enough to put us off buying here, but it's up to you if you're comfortable with that. My parents lived in one of the ritzier neighborhoods in Silver Spring and they actually had stuff stolen out of their car in front of their house so you never know. Every neighborhood gets some walk-through crime.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:16 AM

74 posts, read 344,200 times
The area you describe is very large and diverse, its hard to say an entire area is bad because its very spotty. Generally speaking the good parts of Montgomery Village tend to be farthest from Lake Forest Mall. I would recommend looking into East Village in Montgomery Village, it is a nice area on the outskirts of the village. There is a good mix of townhouses and single family homes. I would say generally to stay away from areas close in to Fredrick Rd, but even that has its exceptions. I've heard good things about King Farm.

The best advise is to trust your instincts and get to know the area. People from outside the area used to look at me shocked when I lived in DC proper, they didn't really understand the different areas and distinctions between the neighborhoods. Thats really your best bet in finding a good place for you. In fact, if you can rent for a short term and get to know the area. You definitely don't need to rush anything in this market.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 9,482 times
I have lived in Germantown for 20 years, since I was 10. I have lived mainly off Wisteria/Waring Station. In regards to Germantown, Gaithersburg, I would suggest the further North you go the better. Depending on your financial situation if you are on a budget, I would suggest not to go to the Kentlands or King Farm. As far as Germantown, The Woods are a nice townhouse complex, but older, Avalon Knolls are nice apartments as well. I would stay away from The Hamptons. For schools, SV and NW are both good, as well as QO in Gaithersburg. I wouldn't live off Clopper between Great Seneca and Waring Station, but I think the new development near Kings View is pretty nice. I would stay away from the Fox Chapel section of Germantown as well as Oak Mill and Brandermill. A little further down is Milestone which is a nice neighborhood, but again a little pricier. For Gaithersburg, I agree, stay away from Lakeforest Mall. As far as section 8 housing, it's every where you just don't know it, it doesn't always mean it's a bad neighborhood. Hope this helps.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:26 PM

74 posts, read 384,606 times
This same discussion seems to come up every few weeks.

Describing any part of Gaithersburg as "ghetto" is really laughable.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:43 PM

3 posts, read 16,280 times
To join in the questions..

Anyone familiar with Gables at Waters Landing in Germantown- it appears to be at the south end of Black Hills Park- off Crystal HIll Cirlce drive. I'm looking for apartments in the germantown/gaithersberg area but live in Chicago at right now so I'm not too familiar with the areas. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland