Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 12:52 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times

Advertisements

What a scam this is. Normally, I'm not one to complain about any sort of parking or moving violation citation, but this is just over the top.

I was driving along the beltway for my morning commute and some road debris hit the front of my car and when I got to the Greenbelt Metro park and ride the only damage was my front place was hanging by one screw. So I took it the rest of the way off and put it in my trunk.

It get back later in the day and have a $60 parking ticket. Sixty bucks for legally parking a car, but not displaying the front tag. Sixty dollars? Really? I can see that much for parking in front of a fire hydrant or something but come on.

So PG County cops just roam parking lots looking for this stuff? I have nothing against cops, but this is a total waste of resources and time and it has to be a hardship on people that don't have $60 for something so trivial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 01:30 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
What a scam this is. Normally, I'm not one to complain about any sort of parking or moving violation citation, but this is just over the top.

I was driving along the beltway for my morning commute and some road debris hit the front of my car and when I got to the Greenbelt Metro park and ride the only damage was my front place was hanging by one screw. So I took it the rest of the way off and put it in my trunk.

It get back later in the day and have a $60 parking ticket. Sixty bucks for legally parking a car, but not displaying the front tag. Sixty dollars? Really? I can see that much for parking in front of a fire hydrant or something but come on.

So PG County cops just roam parking lots looking for this stuff? I have nothing against cops, but this is a total waste of resources and time and it has to be a hardship on people that don't have $60 for something so trivial.
Just take a picture of the damage and your second license plate and make sure there's a time stamp on it. Let them know the situation and I'm sure they will cancel the ticket. The entire state of Maryland, DC, and Virginia also require two license plates. It's not a county by county thing.

Quote:
Instead, the study found that having a second plate makes it easier to photograph those who run stop signs and red lights, don't pay tolls or drive out of unattended pay garages and parking lots without paying. Linking automatic license plate readers to databases also makes it easier to track down scofflaws electronically instead of having human eyeballs view every image to identify license plate numbers.
https://www.cars.com/articles/2013/1...icense-plates/

Old 04-20-2016, 04:15 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,808,103 times
what he said

Old 04-20-2016, 04:27 PM

318 posts, read 762,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

1) This was most likely a parking enforcement officer (not a cop) who issued this.

2) If it makes you feel better a state uniform citation (one a cop pulls you over for) is $10 more and goes on your driving record, and has the ability to suspend your license if you don't comply with it. A parking citation does not.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:49 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Why didn't you put the tag on the dash in the front window? Then it would have been displayed and they would have known you had the tag

Old 04-20-2016, 08:17 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Why didn't you put the tag on the dash in the front window? Then it would have been displayed and they would have known you had the tag
It doesnt matter, it has to be attached to your bumper. Mine came off in the blizzard of 2014 trying to drive over some snow. I had it in my dash until the snow melted, was pulled over and given an $80 ticket, went to court and had to show that it was attached and still had to pay the fine.

This was issued by Bowie Police by the way

Old 04-20-2016, 08:56 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,689,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
It doesnt matter, it has to be attached to your bumper. Mine came off in the blizzard of 2014 trying to drive over some snow. I had it in my dash until the snow melted, was pulled over and given an $80 ticket, went to court and had to show that it was attached and still had to pay the fine.

Oh yeah? My neighbor has had theirs on the dash for years now. Guess they're just lucky (or enjoy getting tickets).

Old 04-21-2016, 08:13 AM

318 posts, read 762,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post

Depends. State Uniform (meaning the same around the state of MD) Citations issued by police have the requirement you just listed. Parking violations vary from county/municipality, depending on what the municipal code infraction states you might be able to get away with putting it on the dash. In fact I don't believe all countys/municipalities have a "no front tag" as a parking violation.

KCMO, what does your parking ticket say? What agency issued it and is there a code or violation article listed?

Old 04-21-2016, 12:36 PM

222 posts, read 271,061 times
Similar thing happened to me. I paid the fine as it was not worth my time off work to contest it in court. I remounted my tag and moved on with life.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:23 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Thanks all. It's not really a big deal. I will just pay it. I don't have time to take a half day off and mess with it. It was just annoying because the plate had just come off the day before and I just thought it was a money grab to go through a parking lot like metro and issue citations, but that's what all tickets are issued for. I get several parking tickets a year. It's part of living in a major metro.

However, we did buy a new vehicle last December and the dealer didn't install the front plate on that car, so I may have to do that now if the police around here enforce this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgs_bg View Post
Depends. State Uniform (meaning the same around the state of MD) Citations issued by police have the requirement you just listed. Parking violations vary from county/municipality, depending on what the municipal code infraction states you might be able to get away with putting it on the dash. In fact I don't believe all countys/municipalities have a "no front tag" as a parking violation.

KCMO, what does your parking ticket say? What agency issued it and is there a code or violation article listed?

District 6 PG County MD
Code: 26-127.01.A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
View detailed profiles of: