U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 7,770 times

Advertisements

Me, my husband and my three years old have relocated to Maryland from London and we currently live in Largo and my son attend daycare near Lake Arbour Way.

I have a few questions and i hope you will be able to help me with some, if not all of my questions.

1. Currently my son is in daycare and i want to know what age can he start school

2. I am so confused, i have been reading and trying to get my head around Pre-K and Kindergatten and Elementary, please explain, by the age of three in London, my son would have started school. So am really confused on whats the steps over here.

3. I am also looking for good public school in PG county for my son, when he is ready to start school, i would like to stay round Largo, Bowie or zip code 20721, so any ideas of good school as we are planning to buy a place in 6 months so good schools round here will be great.

4. My son is into sports, he has been playing soccer since he started walking and he was in mini-soccer team in london and would love to put him to some kind of sports, where do i go for these kinds of things, is there any website that anyone can recommend for me to check out activities for a three year old.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 06:00 PM

1,389 posts, read 5,672,080 times
Bowie is an Affulent area so for the most part the schools are good. I do know all of Pg county schools have pre-k. Your som might be able to start Pre-k at age 3.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:44 PM

12,553 posts, read 18,926,430 times
The elementary school in that area (Lake Arbor Elementary) is a good one, according to my friends who just moved from there to California. I don't really know for sure though. Of course, your child wouldn't be going there until age 5 anyway.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:29 PM

846 posts, read 3,004,370 times
You put him in pre-K at 4, kindergarten at 5, and 1st grade at 6. Some people hold their kid back and don't start them in 1st grade until 7, but they're generally crazy.

1st grade traditionally is the start of "elementary school" which traditionally runs through 6th grade, then 7th and 8th are "middle school" and 9th - 12th are "high school". However, a lot of elementary schools now include kindergarten, and some middle schools encompass 5th and 6th grade.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:54 PM

623 posts, read 800,504 times
Public school pre-K in most of the area (I'm not sure about Largo) is generally for disadvantaged children to give them a head start in learning. Pre-K programs are typically for 3- and 4-year-olds. Middle class families will put their children into private preschools. There are a number of private and religious-sponsored programs for a few hours a few days a week--these are usually utilized by at-home parents. Some day cares will integrate a pre-K curriculum into their day as well. Once your child is 5 he can start public or private Kindergarten.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:26 PM

1,389 posts, read 5,672,080 times
What you need to do is find out the Elementary school your child is more likeily to attend. I do know all Pg county Elementary school do have Pre-K. I do know their is income guildlines but for Bowie the income per household is over $90k so the income guildlines might be higher then other areas in Maryland. You need to call the school and find out.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 7,770 times
Smile Thank You

Thank you very much for all your advice.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:56 PM

1,054 posts, read 4,524,527 times
You should check out USA : British Expat Discussion Forum as this is a very common question over there.

There is also a wiki on this subject:

What do I need to enroll the kids in school? : British Expat Wiki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland