Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 07:36 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,194 times

Advertisements

I'm sure some will disagree......

Prince George's County Just Isn't That Into Urbanism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 09:05 PM

662 posts, read 783,351 times
Well the areas closest to DC can urbanize while those further away stay rural. Best of both worlds.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:23 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,565,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
I agree but disagree. I think that the author is right. Historically PGC has fought development because the leadership was busy trying to line their pockets. I wasn't until post-Johnson that things began to change. Now we are playing catch up.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:24 AM

205 posts, read 174,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
Well the areas closest to DC can urbanize while those further away stay rural. Best of both worlds.
I agree. It makes sense that those areas closest to the DC borders would have somewhat of an urban feel which would slowly turn rural the further away you go from the center of DC.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:26 AM

205 posts, read 174,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
I agree but disagree. I think that the author is right. Historically PGC has fought development because the leadership was busy trying to line their pockets. I wasn't until post-Johnson that things began to change. Now we are playing catch up.
Yes. It is definitely inevitable though because once the baby boomers have mostly died off, I believe that Millennials will get sick of living on top of one another and will want somewhere that is a bit more spaced out. PGC is currently the only place where you can still get a nice single family home at a reasonable price.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:54 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,569,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoDC View Post
Yes. It is definitely inevitable though because once the baby boomers have mostly died off, I believe that Millennials will get sick of living on top of one another and will want somewhere that is a bit more spaced out. PGC is currently the only place where you can still get a nice single family home at a reasonable price.
That doesn't explain the successes of NYC, L.A., San Fran, and every other city that has a high cost of living. There won't ever be a shift back to the burbs unless crime returns to the cities. This current shift is here to stay for at least another 40 to 50 years.

Even with mass transit reaching the outer suburbs like Loudoun County, the preference will still be to be in the "center of it all." They won't want to have to ride a Metro for 45 minutes to catch a sporting event, entertainment, nightlife, or the arts when they can either walk, ride their bike, or take a 20 minute train or bus ride.

As DC continues to grow, it will have the best of everything. As millennials reach their mid-thirties, I think they will still choose urban living than the vanilla cookie-cutter suburbs that their parents live in.

My new duties have me driving all around DC and I see a LOT of people pushing strollers all over the city in all quadrants from completely refurbished homes. I talk to a lot of them and they are from all over. They are making DC their home. If this weren't true, you wouldn't see the investment you see now.

The millennials aren't going anywhere. Anyplace inside the Beltway is fair game.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:29 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,565,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
That doesn't explain the successes of NYC, L.A., San Fran, and every other city that has a high cost of living. There won't ever be a shift back to the burbs unless crime returns to the cities. This current shift is here to stay for at least another 40 to 50 years.

Even with mass transit reaching the outer suburbs like Loudoun County, the preference will still be to be in the "center of it all." They won't want to have to ride a Metro for 45 minutes to catch a sporting event, entertainment, nightlife, or the arts when they can either walk, ride their bike, or take a 20 minute train or bus ride.

As DC continues to grow, it will have the best of everything. As millennials reach their mid-thirties, I think they will still choose urban living than the vanilla cookie-cutter suburbs that their parents live in.

My new duties have me driving all around DC and I see a LOT of people pushing strollers all over the city in all quadrants from completely refurbished homes. I talk to a lot of them and they are from all over. They are making DC their home. If this weren't true, you wouldn't see the investment you see now.

The millennials aren't going anywhere. Anyplace inside the Beltway is fair game.
I think millennials moving outside of the city will happen in bigger numbers because cities are becoming too expensive to live in. Especially when you are at the beginning of your career or have a young family and you don't have as much disposable income. I have friends in Oakland and San Mateo CA and there has been a mini housing(both residential and rental) boom in their areas because San Fran is too expensive. Especially if you are looking to buy a house. Hence why, if we play our cards right, PG is going to see a big uptick in people moving into the county over the next 10 years. Starting with the more urban areas and followed by the more suburban area. It may not be predominately AA then but I believe it will be drastically different than what we see today.

Like we discussed previously, the county needs to be smart and amp up their efforts to appeal to potential residents. More charter schools, in fill development, TOD, and increased mass transportation (BRT and Trolly) to increase the attractiveness of areas that are deficient.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:40 AM

2,193 posts, read 2,688,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
I think millennials moving outside of the city will happen in bigger numbers because cities are becoming too expensive to live in. Especially when you are at the beginning of your career or have a young family and you don't have as much disposable income. I have friends in Oakland and San Mateo CA and there has been a mini housing(both residential and rental) boom in their areas because San Fran is too expensive. Especially if you are looking to buy a house. Hence why, if we play our cards right, PG is going to see a big uptick in people moving into the county over the next 10 years. Starting with the more urban areas and followed by the more suburban area. It may not be predominately AA then but I believe it will be drastically different than what we see today.

Like we discussed previously, the county needs to be smart and amp up their efforts to appeal to potential residents. More charter schools, in fill development, TOD, and increased mass transportation (BRT and Trolly) to increase the attractiveness of areas that are deficient.
Yep, I agree there has been - and will continue to be - increasing demand for urbanized areas beyond DC proper's limits. PGC is in a prime position considering all their cheap, developable land near metro stations and hopefully that'll finally be leveraged properly. MoCo mostly just has Glenmont left in the crapper now that Twinbrook, Shady Grove, Wheaton, White Flint are seeing fairly substantial redevelopment. Once all the MoCo stations are fairly built out, PGC becomes increasingly attractive to developers by default...so long as it's not screwed up.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:06 AM

PGC is attractive due to it's closeness and metro. PGC is the county that borders DC on the MD side. Not all millennials can afford to live in DC. If you do public interest, work at a nonprofit, are a teacher, work for the federal govt, you make good money but not enough to buy in DC if you're not a trust fund kid. So you move to Hyattsville, College Park, Calvert Hills, where you get metro, shopping, food options, and a yard and you can be around other millennials who demand the same things they wanted in DC.

PGC and Rushern Baker need to work to make PGC great again.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:16 AM

Also the areas in Historic Hyattsville, College Park, Berwyn, University Park already have low inventory. There are multiple offers for the desirable homes and homes that are well priced sell in a week or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland