U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-26-2016, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Upper Marlboro
789 posts, read 754,431 times
Reputation: 812

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I think it's sad that the divisions are so extreme, even in the suburbs.
"Sad" is the exact word I'd use to describe the situation, particularly in Waldorf. I'm sure I've mentioned it elsewhere, but I do all sorts of work all over northern Charles and southern PG. I see it every time I go over. Generally speaking, white folks in these areas are still fearful of black people as a group and culture. It's bizarre. I've had all sorts of interactions with all types of people in these communities, and I can tell you race/diversity has absolutely nothing to do with crime, property values, or schools. Why do the schools continue to decline? Because established majority white communities and families send their kids to private schools, or move to the adjacent school district, which is perceived as 'nicer' or 'safer'.

Well that vacuum is the real cause of social issues. If anything, the continued increase in population and development is the only thing keeping these schools and neighborhoods alive operational. Add the rapid pace of gentrification up the road, and you have literally white flight all over again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-26-2016, 07:43 PM
 
47 posts, read 32,135 times
Reputation: 51
citydata I looked on and I live here so it seems right to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2016, 07:49 PM
 
47 posts, read 32,135 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
"Sad" is the exact word I'd use to describe the situation, particularly in Waldorf. I'm sure I've mentioned it elsewhere, but I do all sorts of work all over northern Charles and southern PG. I see it every time I go over. Generally speaking, white folks in these areas are still fearful of black people as a group and culture. It's bizarre. I've had all sorts of interactions with all types of people in these communities, and I can tell you race/diversity has absolutely nothing to do with crime, property values, or schools. Why do the schools continue to decline? Because established majority white communities and families send their kids to private schools, or move to the adjacent school district, which is perceived as 'nicer' or 'safer'.

Well that vacuum is the real cause of social issues. If anything, the continued increase in population and development is the only thing keeping these schools and neighborhoods alive operational. Add the rapid pace of gentrification up the road, and you have literally white flight all over again.


Yeah it is sad but why do you blame the private schools for the reason for the decline? My kids went to these schools all their lives and I gotta tell you if I would have had that option they would have went to private school. My son was bullied all through middle school and the "staff" did nothing to help him but lie and say he never reported it which we proved was not true. I finally let him quit in 11th grade. He was in all honors classes and couldn't even learn in the classroom because some of the teachers couldn't control the kids. And that was in honors classes. He asked if he could go to the library during the class to do his work and they told him no. He got out and got his GED right away. He didn't want to go to college after this but I told him to just try it, kids are different in college when they have to foot the bill. He did and is now in his 3rd year working on a computer science degree and loves it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2016, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Upper Marlboro
789 posts, read 754,431 times
Reputation: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovepoker View Post
Yeah it is sad but why do you blame the private schools for the reason for the decline? My kids went to these schools all their lives and I gotta tell you if I would have had that option they would have went to private school. My son was bullied all through middle school and the "staff" did nothing to help him but lie and say he never reported it which we proved was not true. I finally let him quit in 11th grade. He was in all honors classes and couldn't even learn in the classroom because some of the teachers couldn't control the kids. And that was in honors classes. He asked if he could go to the library during the class to do his work and they told him no. He got out and got his GED right away. He didn't want to go to college after this but I told him to just try it, kids are different in college when they have to foot the bill. He did and is now in his 3rd year working on a computer science degree and loves it.
I don't blame private schools for the decline. I blame racist and fear-mongering families. Clearly you don't fit in that group, and it seems like you son is doing great, in spite of the 'terrible and dangerous' school.

The world is a diverse place. By sheltering children, are you really giving them the experience and knowledge to handle life once they move out? My experience says otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2016, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Maryland
18,589 posts, read 16,791,909 times
Reputation: 6368
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovepoker View Post
Yeah it is sad but why do you blame the private schools for the reason for the decline? My kids went to these schools all their lives and I gotta tell you if I would have had that option they would have went to private school. My son was bullied all through middle school and the "staff" did nothing to help him but lie and say he never reported it which we proved was not true. I finally let him quit in 11th grade. He was in all honors classes and couldn't even learn in the classroom because some of the teachers couldn't control the kids. And that was in honors classes. He asked if he could go to the library during the class to do his work and they told him no. He got out and got his GED right away. He didn't want to go to college after this but I told him to just try it, kids are different in college when they have to foot the bill. He did and is now in his 3rd year working on a computer science degree and loves it.
That's sad. Although I wasn't bullied unusually I know what your son went through. I transferred from a Catholic school where I was one of a few blacks to a public school where blacks made up a plurality in the 7th grade. I was informed that I talked white and was too dark. However what really bothered me was how disrespectful the black kids were towards the teachers and each other. By the time senior year came around I had little interest in going to college, much like your son.

However a few years after graduation I went to a HBCU where for the first time I was surrounded by black people that actually wanted to do something with their lives. It was a decent experience. Please try and convince him to reconsider college, you're right the kids are a lot different than high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2016, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Maryland
18,589 posts, read 16,791,909 times
Reputation: 6368
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
I don't blame private schools for the decline. I blame racist and fear-mongering families. Clearly you don't fit in that group, and it seems like you son is doing great, in spite of the 'terrible and dangerous' school.

The world is a diverse place. By sheltering children, are you really giving them the experience and knowledge to handle life once they move out? My experience says otherwise.
Naw I don't folks one bit for avoiding public schools with many black kids. I just think it's sad that it has had to come to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2016, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Cumberland
5,176 posts, read 8,330,982 times
Reputation: 3578
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
I don't blame private schools for the decline. I blame racist and fear-mongering families. Clearly you don't fit in that group, and it seems like you son is doing great, in spite of the 'terrible and dangerous' school.

The world is a diverse place. By sheltering children, are you really giving them the experience and knowledge to handle life once they move out? My experience says otherwise.
There is a difference between sheltering children and subjecting them to ongoing abuse. One can expose their child to the realities of the world like:

1. Death
2. Suffering
3. Disappointment
4. Crappy people
5. Dishonesty


without putting them in positions to harassed and bullied every day. Is that what your adult life is like? I doubt it, mine sure isn't. The idea that "bad" schools are somehow "good" because they put kids through the ringer to "teach them" about the "real" world is situational at best, a petty excuse for poor learning environments at worst.

It seems like the kid in the above post succeeded in spite of his horrible public school experience, not because of it. His parents were the rock that saw him through. Other kids aren't so lucky. Private school isn't a panacea, and most public schools aren't hell holes, but you get what you are willing/able to pay for in life, schooling is no exception.

Last edited by westsideboy; 05-27-2016 at 09:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2016, 09:16 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
34,555 posts, read 43,665,411 times
Reputation: 44405
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
I don't blame private schools for the decline. I blame racist and fear-mongering families. Clearly you don't fit in that group, and it seems like you son is doing great, in spite of the 'terrible and dangerous' school.

The world is a diverse place. By sheltering children, are you really giving them the experience and knowledge to handle life once they move out? My experience says otherwise.

I assume you are including the Black families who place their children in private school as having the same reason?




Why do you keep throwing the race card?


The reasons for kids in Prince George's going to private school are deeper and generally have no relation to race. Also, run some numbers and figure out how many non-minority kids live in the County.


Time for a lesson:


Twenty five or so years ago the two high schools, Frederick Douglass and Gwynn Park, in the Upper Marlboro to Brandywine area were both roughly 70% White/30% Black (those numbers are close although both schools had a small number of SE Asian students).



As the years passed the White kids aged out and left home. In many cases their parents wanted to downsize and sold their houses. The majority of buyers were Black. So the schools through the 90s until now became increasingly Black. It has absolutely nothing to do with "fear mongering".


As a side note, in my 30+ years teaching in the County the number of my colleagues who sent their kids to private schools were overwhelmingly Black (a ratio of about 9 to 1).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2016, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Upper Marlboro
789 posts, read 754,431 times
Reputation: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I assume you are including the Black families who place their children in private school as having the same reason?




Why do you keep throwing the race card?


The reasons for kids in Prince George's going to private school are deeper and generally have no relation to race. Also, run some numbers and figure out how many non-minority kids live in the County.


Time for a lesson:


Twenty five or so years ago the two high schools, Frederick Douglass and Gwynn Park, in the Upper Marlboro to Brandywine area were both roughly 70% White/30% Black (those numbers are close although both schools had a small number of SE Asian students).



As the years passed the White kids aged out and left home. In many cases their parents wanted to downsize and sold their houses. The majority of buyers were Black. So the schools through the 90s until now became increasingly Black. It has absolutely nothing to do with "fear mongering".


As a side note, in my 30+ years teaching in the County the number of my colleagues who sent their kids to private schools were overwhelmingly Black (a ratio of about 9 to 1).
The race card was thrown a while ago. I'm just willing to acknowledge its existence. What you say about PG county is absolutely true, but we are talking about Charles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2016, 11:32 AM
 
377 posts, read 557,125 times
Reputation: 131
Acknowledge this. Many of the black families in Fort Washington/Waldorf chose these areas to be in a predominately black neighborhood...i.e. willingly choosing to live in a predominately black neighborhood so that they can be in an area where people look like them and have the same cultural values; and this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Ethnic/racial enclaves are a reality of the world and black families are as much to blame for the enclaves as is white flight. As a white home owner in Fort Washington I get stares all the time....

Oh, and the well to do black families wouldn't dare send their kids to the public schools. They are garbage largely due to the number of free/reduced lunch students. Large numbers of free/reduced lunch students causes issues because poverty is a root cause of many social issues whether black or white. The same issue plagues poor white neighborhoods in the south.

Also, what is the county leadership (largely black) doing to rectify the issue? The money for the county continues to be invested in northern PG county with little money being spent on fixing the commuting issues along Indian Head. Access to improved transportation improves the quality of life of the entire community and helps families save 1) money and 2) spend more time with their families....What's been done to improve the schools? Indian Queen Elementary should have been closed years ago and rebuilt.

And here is the real bottom line. The majority of PG County is vastly black, as is the county leadership. How on earth can you blame whites/hispanics/asians for the ills faced by this county?

Last edited by Fast GTO; 05-27-2016 at 11:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top