U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 10:59 AM

692 posts, read 1,538,848 times

Advertisements

Your wife should be able to find a job with any number of school systems in the area. I know several people who work in the Prince George's and Charles County school systems and they enjoy their students and work. Montgomery County schools always get high reviews and Ann Arundel County is another option.

There are great places to live in Prince George's and Montgomery County. What are you looking for? Apartment? Condo? Town Home? Single Family Home? What price range would you like to stay in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 11:02 AM

1,389 posts, read 5,673,879 times
I live in Pg county and I feel safe. If you want to be safe anywhere in maryland you have to pay for safety. Its not free here. 50k in Maryland is nothing. Its like making minimum wage here. If you want to live in the nice,safe areas of Pg county such as Bowie,Upper Marlboro etc 2 bedroom apartment will be around $1500 minimum. The same for the nicer,safe areas of Maryland. Now if you want to live in Montomgery county but in the not so safe areas a 2bedroom will be around $850-$950 same goes for Pg county. Every county in Maryland have the good and Bad areas. It all comes down to how much are you willing to spend.

A family making 100k in Maryland is nothing. You have to make atleast 100k to live comfortable and 100k is still not enough. We are not trying to scare you from moving to Maryland. We are just giving you the facts.

Here is a Break Down of your Income 50k a yr. Before Tax 4166.66 After tax 3600

2BDroom Apartment:$1500.00
$2100 remainder
Monthly Utilities such as Home/cell phone/cable/gas or electric $400.00
remainder $1700
Car note/Insurance:$400.00
Remainder $1300
New Baby per month/milk/Pampers/clothes,etc $300.00
Remainder $1k
Gas for Car: $100 a month
Remainder $900.00
House needs such as food:$200.00 a month
Remainder:$700.00
Family Entertainment:$200 a month
Remainder:$500.00 a month
Credit Card Bills/Any debt:$300.00 A month
Remainder:$200.00 a month

At least you migth be able to save $200 a month.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:13 AM

12,559 posts, read 18,941,353 times
Gas (for a car) is going to cost more than $100 a month. It's costing us $300 now.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:39 AM

1,389 posts, read 5,673,879 times
Well it depends upon the type of car. I work from home so I really do not drive so for me a full gas of tank 1 month or more.

base upon my Calculation you will have $0 money left over each month. You might have to get a second job.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:55 PM

29 posts, read 292,094 times
The employment rate hear is pretty good. But living near DC, there are a lot of towns that will show a spot somewhere and it is a pretty close commute whever.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:27 PM

196 posts, read 708,365 times
The best part is the southern hospitality.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:10 PM

41 posts, read 199,786 times
How interesting! I am moving from MD to Detroit in June. I am looking to rent my 2 bedroom/ 1 den home and am looking for a home to rent in Oakland County , MI. I live in University Park. It is an amazing neighborhood! We are so sad to leave. We feel safe and I have no problem leaving my door unlocked. My four year old runs around outside and I am a very cautious person. My DH works downtown and takes the free town shuttle 5 minutes to the metro. Then it takes him about 20 minutes to get into town. (Sometimes the driver even drops him off at the door!) We rarely use our second car. I stay home with my two children and have loved the playgroups, walking to the community center and library, and the town events like Mom's Night Out. Let me know if you are interested in checking out our home. And if not, let me know if I can answer any questions about the area as I have lived here for most of my life. Welcome! Should I be as worried about moving to Detroit as the Detroit forum makes me?

Old 02-17-2008, 11:00 PM

3,425 posts, read 7,944,082 times
First off, congratulations on the upcoming birth of your child.

I feel bad to say this, because it would be nice if your wife could stay home with your new baby for a little while, but based on your income you'll really need her to go back to work not too long after the baby is born. Like others have said, $50,000 won't get you far in the more urbanized parts of Maryland, especially near DC. I just accepted a new job in DC myself (and I'm single with no dependents), and even though my new salary will be quite a bit higher than what you stated, there are some parts of the DC area inside the Beltway (i.e. areas that essentially have less than a 30-40 minute commute) that are out of my price range for renting, much less buying. (I will note living in a true town-like setting where I can walk to amenities, including the Metro, was a big priority for me.)

My suggestion would be to try to find something closer to Baltimore (but outside the Baltimore Beltway) that fits your price range and use one of the two MARC commuter train lines between Baltimore and Washington to commute to work. As I'm sure you've heard, rush hour traffic in the DC area is considered to be horrendous (though probably a bit worse on the Virginia side). I also wouldn't rule out living in Frederick County or even in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia; both areas are also served by a MARC commuter train line (Brunswick Line) and the Metro line to the northwest of DC (western branch of the Red Line) goes further out into the suburbs here, at Shady Grove, than anywhere else on the entire Metro system, meaning a somewhat shorter drive to get to the station. To my knowledge, the areas I mentioned all have solid schools. Of course, all of the above assumes your job will be reasonably accessible from one of the Metro stations.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:42 AM

12,559 posts, read 18,941,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakwilk View Post
Should I be as worried about moving to Detroit as the Detroit forum makes me?
No. Most of Oakland county is very, very nice. There are a couple of places to avoid, but not much. If you mean Detroit City then that's a different story.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:29 PM

41 posts, read 199,786 times
I really disagree about not being able to afford having your wife stay home. If it is what you both want, you can totally do it. I live in an area that is pretty expensive (29th on the 100 wealthiest towns) and I have a couple of friends in my neighborhood who stay home on $50,000. I stay home too, on $65,000 and am able to get whatever we need and want. My friends whose husbands make less, do adhere to a budget but they don't seem overburdened. And, if you live near a subway station, you won't need a second car. Also, child care for a newborn is outrageous. I'm not sure a teachers salary will be worth the trade off of having someone else caring for your child.

Our neighborhood is 30 minutes to downtown. It is a perfect commute. You don't want to move far away and have your wife be alone ALL of the time. It's a hard transition to have a baby and stay home, so you should be around as much as possible. Now, you probably wouldn't be able to buy a house, but you are looking at renting, so you should be just fine.

I am so excited for you both. Staying home has been such a wonderful time for me. You are about to embark on a journey that will change your life. You will be so in love with your sweet baby that having a little less space will seem like nothing when compared to spending more time together. Congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland