U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:42 PM

96 posts, read 329,012 times

Advertisements

Coming from Detroit you should be fine. Hyattsville is not super nice, but not awful and is more affordable. Laurel is a little far, but not a bad place either. Again, Silver Spring is totally fine.

I recently went to Detroit and one thing that surprised me was how much it was like Baltimore! DC is more cosmopolitan but it's not a total 180 from Detroit.

My biggest suggestion is, if you can, try to come out and SEE the place before renting or don't sign a year lease. You can tell if it's a bad area more easily at night.

With 50K, you'll either have to live extremely cheaply or move way far out. Tons of people do that here - live in West Virginia or Frederick and commute for over an hour one way.

One more thing - child care is very needed here because this area has lots of "careerist" type people. If your wife doesn't want to work and she's a teacher, maybe she could watch a couple of other kids during the week? Heck, if I had a kid, I would leave them with a teacher!

Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 10:26 AM

3 posts, read 4,708 times
Default Marylander but born in the midwest

I was born in St. Louis and graduated in Chicago so hello Detroit. Sticker shock will be your first surprise it is ridiculously expensive here as far homes, gas, food and EVERYTHING. 50K here is like 25 at home. Don't worry though you will move up quick there is a good job market. I would move to downtown Silver Spring/29 corrider. Rentals are reasonable and the commute is easy. Work for your wife will be easy as teacher she can go anywhere. There are government, nonprofit, and private sector jobs here. She can apply right online usajobs.gov. This is not Detroit so leave PG county alone, once your wife is working there are some great area in PG to buy and then you can afford private school otherwise for good schools and diversity try Montgomery County. I personally don't care for VA unless its Manassas or Fairfax which is far away and expensive. So good luck I wish I had this advice when I moved here.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:49 PM

15 posts, read 53,766 times
I moved from the Metro Detroit area to the Baltimore area back in 2004. I started out making just over 65k and could barely afford to live. This area is crushingly expensive, housing is out of reach for all but the most over-leveraged of residents, the state government makes Kwame look like a patron saint, and the crime rates will make you feel right at home, Detroit style.

However, you will get a WORKING public transit system, unlike Coleman's train. I would look very selectively in Prince George's County as the schools there are really hit and miss.

Things to look for: Taxes. Property taxes here are significantly higher. Watch your utilities as well. City-data usually offers crime stats on each area, so I'd use those stats to help guide your search. The rush hour here is very similar to the rush hour entering and leaving Detroit, so that won't be much of a shock to you. However I still can't get over how people here drive.

Good luck with the move. Too bad Michigan couldn't offer you a similar salary to stay there. Your money would go much further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland