U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:22 AM

5 posts, read 14,935 times

Advertisements

I'm moving my wife and unborn child from Metro Detroit to Take a Job in D.C.. I'm going to make $50K staring out and my wife won't be able to work for approx 1 year. She's a teacher. I'm looking to move to Maryland side and commute to D.C.. Where's the best place to move and commute and where's a good place for my wife to find a job. Please help!!!!! I've never even been to Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 11:32 AM

44 posts, read 38,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patient1 View Post
I'm moving my wife and unborn child from Metro Detroit to Take a Job in D.C.. I'm going to make $50K staring out and my wife won't be able to work for approx 1 year. She's a teacher. I'm looking to move to Maryland side and commute to D.C.. Where's the best place to move and commute and where's a good place for my wife to find a job. Please help!!!!! I've never even been to Maryland.
I'm jealous! I want to go I never been, but I can only go by what I heard-- it pays well and Maryland, to be so small, is wealthy.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 6,999 times
Default From Detroit as well

I am moving to maryland from detroit as well. I will be moving feb 15th and will be living in Dunkirk MD with friends until i get to know the area. If your interested in meeting up let me know. I am 27 and enjoy playing all sports. Good luck on your housing search.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:31 PM

5 posts, read 14,935 times
The only thing that I'm nervous about is the cost of living, they say the crime is bad in PG county but I'm from Deeeeetroit, how bad could it be.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:41 PM

3 posts, read 10,990 times
What a weird coincidence! My family and I are moving from Detroit to Maryland by the end of March!

We're young and have a small child as well! We're leaving Detroit in droves! LOL

Old 02-14-2008, 02:10 PM

74 posts, read 384,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patient1 View Post
The only thing that I'm nervous about is the cost of living, they say the crime is bad in PG county but I'm from Deeeeetroit, how bad could it be.
Not as bad as Detroit, that's for sure.

You're going to think people complaining about PG County crime are all wussies.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:08 AM

196 posts, read 708,641 times
If you're coming from Detroit, you will love Maryland!

Old 02-15-2008, 05:56 AM

83 posts, read 295,746 times
I can't advise you on where your wife could find a job. I've seen plenty of help wanted signs around. Concerning commuting, one thing you need to figure out is how you want to commute. Do you want to drive into D.C.? Personally, I wouldn't advise that considering how bad traffic can get. You could try to find a community close to a Metro (D.C. subway system) station. That way you could take the Metro into D.C. which is an easier option. If you want to live further out from D.C., you might look for a town served by the Maryland Transportation Authority railroad. They run commuter trains Monday to Friday. The trains will take you to Union Station, from there you could take the Metro to where ever you have to go. The Metro and the train save you considerable hassle driving and parking wise. I don't know what it would cost you money wise to regularly commute on either one.

One thing you will find about moving to Maryland is it is more expensive, especially the cost of a home. I believe it's because it's so close to D.C.

Good luck on your move.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:58 AM

12,566 posts, read 18,959,235 times
Certain parts of Prince Georges are beginning to remind me of Detroit. (I moved from Detroit to DC area 10 years ago). Stay to North or east Prince Georges, outside the Beltway, if that's where you plan to live.

Traffic in DC area is a lot worse then Detroit so living somewhere where it will be an easier commute should be your priority.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:06 AM

884 posts, read 2,313,485 times
Well we moved from Ohio to MD. Try Silver Spring. Greenbelt has nice places too. Hit up craigslist and there are nice parts to Takoma Park but some areas are not nice--it depends on what you like. 50K does NOT go far here. We make 2x that and we are still broke. Wifey needs a job : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland