U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 09:23 AM

41 posts, read 199,597 times

Advertisements

Adelphi_sky,

Thank you for your post. It is much more thoughtful and articulate than mine, but expresses the same sentiment. I love living inside the beltway and the wonderful diversity that is around me. I feel very safe and am so sad to have to move in May...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 10:08 AM

884 posts, read 2,311,512 times
Adelphi-
I really like "true" neighborhood like what you described. We moved here last summer and I don't live that far from you but I am in Silver Spring/Hillandale (Mo.County).
What are the local public schools like? That is the number 1 deterrent with us in that area. Plus my son has his heart set on going to a certain HS next year so we are looking at pricy Mo Co.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,331 times
Well i know that Landover is a city that consists of Glenarden, kentland, Palmerpark, dodge Park, Cheverly terrace, Brightseat road, Columbia park, and some more apartment complexes. i know that this part of P.G is one of the most unsafest in PG along with Capitol heights, and oxon hill. You can live hear but if you have kids they might get pulled into the criminal life. Selling drugs fighting at gogo's robbing, and maybe involved in homicides. But this placed is full of youth who are forgotten they dont know what else to do. alot of there familes were probly kicked out of the d.C projects and relocated to these areas so they still have that mentalty usually dont have alot of money. landover is just filled with alot of apartments very conjested. I am a Black male From Landover Landover

Old 01-15-2015, 02:27 PM

10 posts, read 13,494 times
Everything is pleasant about seat pleasant lmao wat u talking about none of these areas u named are dangerous or so i would recommend ppl to move to these areas rather than d.c

Old 01-15-2015, 04:12 PM

421 posts, read 345,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeno View Post
Well i know that Landover is a city that consists of Glenarden, kentland, Palmerpark, dodge Park, Cheverly terrace, Brightseat road, Columbia park, and some more apartment complexes. i know that this part of P.G is one of the most unsafest in PG along with Capitol heights, and oxon hill. You can live hear but if you have kids they might get pulled into the criminal life. Selling drugs fighting at gogo's robbing, and maybe involved in homicides. But this placed is full of youth who are forgotten they dont know what else to do. alot of there familes were probly kicked out of the d.C projects and relocated to these areas so they still have that mentalty usually dont have alot of money. landover is just filled with alot of apartments very conjested. I am a Black male From Landover Landover

I grew up in Glenarden, Went to Duval. I come from a two parent home like 95 percent of the kids on my block. During the summer we would ride bikes, go to six flags, or just stay in and play playstation. We have a excellent public library thats in walking distance, and a top notch recreation center with an Olympic size swimming pool, outdoor and indoor Basketball Courts, nice tennis courts as well. Also if your child is tag they would be sent to Glenarden Woods, a school that scored the 2nd highest MSA scores in the STATE of MD last year. And yes I can get it in to Gogo...no I have never been suspended from school or got into a fight. This isn't 1985 during the crack epidemic, hell its not even 2005. Come around Glenarden around 12am at night...you can hear a PIN DROP. If your child gets involved in drugs its YOUR FAULT...if you are a parent its not that difficult

Old 01-16-2015, 08:47 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,273,756 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
Just want to make a correction and compare for every 100,000 (as opposed for every 10,000) most places compare for 100,000

Cleveland 33 murders per every 100,000
Detroit 42 murders per every 100,000
Baltimore 44 murders per every 100,000
Inner Beltway PG 28.3 murder per every 100,000
Outside Beltway PG 5.2 murders per every 100,000
Upstate New York 2.8 murders per every 100,000
Nothern Virginia 3.3 murders per every 100,000
Montgomery County 2.5 murder per every 100,000
Baltimore County 4.2 murders per every 100,000

Oxon Hill/Glassmanor 66.6 murder per every 100,000 (however because the pop is under 30,000 it is better IMO to use 10,000, but want to stay consistent with the large Cities I used)

Inner City Beltway Murder Rate
The murder rate than jumps to 105/370,000 = /100,000 = 28.3 murders per every 100,000

Outside PG Beltway murder rate is 5.23 murders per every 100,000

Some actual city data I've been trying to put this stat together for a while just couldn't figure out the actual inside vs outside population. The murders I could just count on a Map. I assume you had to generalize the population, but I assumed the same information without using actual numbers. Of course the number is different if you used 2007 number. One year I think PG had 169 in 06 or something so the inner number would be worst a year earlier.

Also for all these threads asking where can you find a large African-American community thats relatively safe, I think the outer beltway numbers speak for them selves.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:52 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,273,756 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos82 View Post
I grew up in Glenarden, Went to Duval. I come from a two parent home like 95 percent of the kids on my block. During the summer we would ride bikes, go to six flags, or just stay in and play playstation. We have a excellent public library thats in walking distance, and a top notch recreation center with an Olympic size swimming pool, outdoor and indoor Basketball Courts, nice tennis courts as well. Also if your child is tag they would be sent to Glenarden Woods, a school that scored the 2nd highest MSA scores in the STATE of MD last year. And yes I can get it in to Gogo...no I have never been suspended from school or got into a fight. This isn't 1985 during the crack epidemic, hell its not even 2005. Come around Glenarden around 12am at night...you can hear a PIN DROP. If your child gets involved in drugs its YOUR FAULT...if you are a parent its not that difficult
This is the case with alot of "bad neighborhoods" in PG.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:36 PM

631 posts, read 1,038,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos82 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
This is the case with alot of "bad neighborhoods" in PG.
exactly. Not every neighborhood in a bad area is bad just like not every neighborhood in a good area is good.

There are some neighborhoods in Landover and Oxon Hill that good, quiet neighborhoods just like there are some neighborhoods in Bowie and Laurel that are bad, rough neighborhoods

Old 01-18-2015, 05:14 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,033,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
exactly. Not every neighborhood in a bad area is bad just like not every neighborhood in a good area is good.

There are some neighborhoods in Landover and Oxon Hill that good, quiet neighborhoods just like there are some neighborhoods in Bowie and Laurel that are bad, rough neighborhoods
This.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 594 times
Looking for information on landscaping business that drive red trucks. Only have "landscaping" written on them. No other contact information such as Business name, phone number or address. Seen in UpperMarlboro within the last few weeks. Thanks for any information you may give me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland