Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2017, 06:06 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,560,467 times

Advertisements

THere are some interesting retail choices for the College Park SOuthern Gateway project from KLNB retail brokers. What immediately catches your eye in the retail document is that they are expecting to bring a movie theater with IMAX and REgal's RPX experience. I'm not sure how many screens there would be, but I'm excited and concerned at the same time. I'm excited because there's not ONE IMAX theater in all of Prince George's county. As if no one here appreciates a nice IMAX movie. But, that would be so cool and within 2 miles of me. But my concern is, what happens to the movie theater at University Town Center? Is it downsized? Removed altogether? ANother movie theater being built so close to two others in the age of streaming is a risky venture. THough the IMAX/RPX is an experience one couldn't get at home and may be a draw. Additionally, I would look forward to the "leather" reclining seats as the theater at UTC has the regular cloth seats. We always travel to Laurel for the better seats. I'd love to get an iPIC though. But that may be a bit too much for a college town.

I like the layout of the rest of the project though. Still interested in who will fill the corner market with WHole Foods being a half mile up the road.

See for yourself!

http://klnbretail.propertycapsule.co...me=1499389887/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 07:46 AM

340 posts, read 376,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
THere are some interesting retail choices for the College Park SOuthern Gateway project from KLNB retail brokers. What immediately catches your eye in the retail document is that they are expecting to bring a movie theater with IMAX and REgal's RPX experience. I'm not sure how many screens there would be, but I'm excited and concerned at the same time. I'm excited because there's not ONE IMAX theater in all of Prince George's county. As if no one here appreciates a nice IMAX movie. But, that would be so cool and within 2 miles of me. But my concern is, what happens to the movie theater at University Town Center? Is it downsized? Removed altogether? ANother movie theater being built so close to two others in the age of streaming is a risky venture. THough the IMAX/RPX is an experience one couldn't get at home and may be a draw. Additionally, I would look forward to the "leather" reclining seats as the theater at UTC has the regular cloth seats. We always travel to Laurel for the better seats. I'd love to get an iPIC though. But that may be a bit too much for a college town.

I like the layout of the rest of the project though. Still interested in who will fill the corner market with WHole Foods being a half mile up the road.

See for yourself!

http://klnbretail.propertycapsule.co...me=1499389887/
It's nice to see some updates on this project.

It looks much smaller scale that I remembered from this brochure....but I see a Theater on the floorplan, but I don't see anything that states Imax or RPX except in the mock up drawings that are full of fake retail establishments. My first guess would be that it's going to be a Landmark Theater type of theater, more independent films and small theater seating and higher quality chairs as you hope, Atlantic Plumbing Theater in DC sits at the bottom of an apartment complex similarly.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:02 AM

282 posts, read 322,320 times
College kids don't and won't pay for ipic. Should be a basic movie theatre - let's not forget this is a college town. Looks nice overall but let's be honest, anything will be better than what currently sits there. Like I said before, 2020 is not the measuring stick for progress of CP. By 2030 it will be truly transformative.

Any update on that music venue near the east campus site? Would be a big step in the right direction to making CP a destination town - for students who have to go to D.C. for live music as well as drawing non-CP residents to town.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRoma View Post
College kids don't and won't pay for ipic. Should be a basic movie theatre - let's not forget this is a college town. Looks nice overall but let's be honest, anything will be better than what currently sits there. Like I said before, 2020 is not the measuring stick for progress of CP. By 2030 it will be truly transformative.

Any update on that music venue near the east campus site? Would be a big step in the right direction to making CP a destination town - for students who have to go to D.C. for live music as well as drawing non-CP residents to town.
I agree. iPic is a bit much for a college town. THe music venue, The Birchmere, was part of the Cordish plans for east campus almost 8 years ago. That ship has sailed. There are no current plans for a similar music venue there now. East Campus is now called Discovery District.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...080407101.html

I think that there should still be plans for an off campus theater for plays and music. There is the Milkboy, but it can hold only so many. To be honest, the Clarice Center is large enough for such events, but their programming is more geared toward students and not the general public.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
It's nice to see some updates on this project.

It looks much smaller scale that I remembered from this brochure....but I see a Theater on the floorplan, but I don't see anything that states Imax or RPX except in the mock up drawings that are full of fake retail establishments. My first guess would be that it's going to be a Landmark Theater type of theater, more independent films and small theater seating and higher quality chairs as you hope, Atlantic Plumbing Theater in DC sits at the bottom of an apartment complex similarly.
THis is the first phase. The second phase is supposed to encompass the Applebee's and the FedEx parking lot.

I'd like it to be an IMAX and independent as you say. Usually, they don't use trademarked names in these mockups unless allowed to do so. There may be some truth in those renderings.

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 08-18-2017 at 09:17 AM..

Old 08-18-2017, 10:16 AM

340 posts, read 376,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
THis is the first phase. The second phase is supposed to encompass the Applebee's and the FedEx parking lot.

I'd like it to be an IMAX and independent as you say. Usually, they don't use trademarked names in these mockups unless allowed to do so. There may be some truth in those renderings.
I'd rather UTC renovate to include an IMAX theater, an IMAX theater there would be a threat to UTC Regal and the competition could leave a very difficult retail space to fill, empty for either complex

Old 08-18-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
I'd rather UTC renovate to include an IMAX theater, an IMAX theater there would be a threat to UTC Regal and the competition could leave a very difficult retail space to fill, empty for either complex
Yeah. My wife said the same thing. Not sure why they haven't renovated it when all the other theaters started renovating theirs Also, with 14 screens, they had plenty to spare for an IMAX screen. WE'd definitely stop going to Laurel if they upgraded UTC.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:14 PM

206 posts, read 209,880 times
Applebee's lease was to have expired last year. But earlier this year it was carved out of the proposed project. I suspect they got a 5-10 year reprieve by agreeing to a new lease in which they would pay a much higher rent. It is still a lot of new development to absorb, especially with the city hall redevelopment project happening two blocks away at the same time.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcprtc View Post
Applebee's lease was to have expired last year. But earlier this year it was carved out of the proposed project. I suspect they got a 5-10 year reprieve by agreeing to a new lease in which they would pay a much higher rent. It is still a lot of new development to absorb, especially with the city hall redevelopment project happening two blocks away at the same time.
Hmmmm. I thought the City Hall development was a little ways off, like 5 years from now. So, they plan to have it completed at least by 2020?

Old 08-18-2017, 02:01 PM

282 posts, read 322,320 times
Yes the Birchmere. Something like that has to come to CP. too many college kids with too few music options
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland