Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2022, 04:13 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terp80 View Post
College Park is renewing VeoRide BikeShare contract for 3 more years. https://www.kabircares.org/city-to-r...-3-more-years/

Better than nothing but it would be nice for College Park to have Capital Bikeshare, which is the dominant player in bikeshare in DC and Northern Virginia and I assume parts of Maryland too. Maybe after 3 years it will be more feasible?
Hmm. Thought they crossed that hurdle already. I see CBS as close as Riverdale Park Station, The Hyattsville Library, and Hyattsville HighSchool. Figured College Park would have jumped on the train by now. Oh well. If they got a better deal from VeoRide, then savings are savings I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 10:13 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,176 times
Largo has Capital Bikeshare. That's surprising that College Park doesn't have it.

Old 04-10-2022, 07:52 AM

123 posts, read 76,061 times
Not super exciting, but Capitol Kettle Corn Is Coming to the Hollywood Shopping Center. The have a ton of types of popcorn... https://www.capitolkettlecorn.com/shop/

Old 04-13-2022, 04:32 PM

282 posts, read 322,320 times
https://streetcarsuburbs.news/major-...along-route-1/

Old 04-14-2022, 08:17 AM

282 posts, read 322,320 times
https://today.umd.edu/placehack

Old 04-14-2022, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRoma View Post
Not much new there, I think the only thing I learned is that they plan to finish in the summer of 2023. That seems ambitious to me. They should be able to finish the segment from Regents to Campus Dr, which has the sidewalks mostly done and the median started, but North of Campus Dr they have a looong way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRoma View Post
I wonder if this like the Capstone competition that the School of Architecture organizes. https://arch.umd.edu/programs/real-e...ollege-park-md

The winner in 2017 had a very interesting idea and thorough study for two buildings between the View and Tempo

Old 04-20-2022, 03:34 PM

206 posts, read 209,880 times
Three Baltimore Avenue projects, the Ecograds student housing, the Terrapin House apartment/retail project and the office/apartment/retail project adjacent to the U of MD hotel are all moving ahead with preliminary plans of subdivision that will be heard soon (May-June) by the Planning Board. At least in the case of EcoGrads a detailed site plan has also been submitted too. So no slowdown in development here.

Old 04-20-2022, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcprtc View Post
Three Baltimore Avenue projects, the Ecograds student housing, the Terrapin House apartment/retail project and the office/apartment/retail project adjacent to the U of MD hotel are all moving ahead with preliminary plans of subdivision that will be heard soon (May-June) by the Planning Board. At least in the case of EcoGrads a detailed site plan has also been submitted too. So no slowdown in development here.
Definitely looking forward to the development next to the hotel. Knowing that was supposed to be East Campus it would bring closure to see it built out at least along Rt. 1. lol

Terrapin House looks nice too.

Old 04-21-2022, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcprtc View Post

Thank you Catcprtc, it is so great to have someone with inside knowledge!

The Ecograds poject sounds great, with high density, below-market rates perfect for grad students, low amount of parking, and it would be filling a horrible-looking lot. I just thought it would never see the light of day for those reasons
Quote:
Terry Schum, the city of College Park planning director, doesn’t know that the project would be feasible, particularly with limited parking on the lot, zoning regulations and the smaller size of units.
“The parking and the height and the overall density of the project are going to scare a lot of people,” Schum said. “Really it represents over building the site.”
It seems that at least one council member supports it though https://mobile.twitter.com/Stuart_Ad...50712525811714

As I said earlier, the Terrapin House is a nice project with its mix of high-quality apartments and retail, but it is just a bummer that it will be located on a lot that is quite decent already and especially, that it will displace businesses such as NorthWest Chinese or Ritchie's Colombian. I hope they at least relocate within CP.

Finally, I'm delighted that Discovery Point on the parcels B & C adjacent to the Hotel is still moving. This project would, of course, be the biggest project in the history of College Park at $300M. If CP is able to land a big company to use that office space, then you'll know CP has arrived.

Old 04-22-2022, 09:34 AM

Still no date-night or upscale restaurants in College Park. We lost two good ones; Kapnos Taverna and OMG.

College Park has to get some upscale eateries if it wants to compete with even Riverdale or Hyattsville. We have plenty of fast casual Asian eateries, pizza joints, and bars. But nothing like Burton's or even Franklins.

College Park does not even have an Outback, Olive Garden, or MIller's Ale house equivalent. If College Park wants to attract and retain grad students and young professionals, they need something more than just College Park Grill or Nando's Peri Peri.

The retail spaces that are being created in these new developments are too small for anything more than more fast casual eateries.

College Park needs to grow up a little and perhaps start creating incentives for new chefs and concepts or College Park will continue to get looked over compared to Hyattsville, Riverdale Park, and Silver Spring.

No brewery in College Park? It is a college town. No place to get a nice steak dinner with white tablecloth service? No restaurant with a Sommelier?

We're about 10 years into making College Park a top 20 college town and these amenities are still lacking even with all the billions currently being invested.

A few mid tier restaurants would be nice. We don't have to jump straight to a Ruth's Chris or Charlie Palmer. A few ideas:

1. Maggiano's
2. Uncle Julio's
3. Cheesecake Factory
4. Any brewpub?
5. Wildfire
6. Founding Farmers
7. Clydes

I can't even find a good burger in College Park anymore. Looney's? Five-Guys doesn't count. Still fast-food. Bobby's Burgers was somewhat gourmet. But they are gone of course. So is Five-Guys the best we can do?

The nice new tall buildings in College Park are nice but if all we can get is Five-Guys and another Ramen place, there's not much more to offer young professionals. This needs to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland