U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 06:43 PM
sn7 sn7 started this thread

5 posts, read 23,729 times

Advertisements

I am going to start working in Gaithersburg and am looking for place to live that fits the closest to my needs. I will rent to start with... but might consider buying too. Here is what I am looking for:

1. Lively Area (not necessarily bars - but a place that has some people on street and has stuff going on)... with some restaurants around.
2. Should not be too far (6 mi) from Walmart or sams club, grocery stores. To have a mall will be a plus
3. Have some community club nearby (closer the better) - with swimming pool Gym etc.
4. Relatively safe -a little bit of crime here and there is fine- but not so much that the car insurance shoots up.
5. Being near a Metro would be a bonus (to occasionally commute to NIH)

I was considering areas around the Montgomery College Rockville branch... but have never been in that area.

I do understand a lot is subjective, but would like to know what you feel would suit the most. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 05:58 AM

12,553 posts, read 18,926,430 times
The closest Wal Mart is in Germantown, which doesn't seem to fit what you want. Rockville might fit your description other than that. The area around the college is not lively. Downtown Rockville is probably closer to "lively" than that area.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:25 AM

Thanks... any opinion on Silver Spring? - I know now I am increasing the distance - but will probably find cheaper rental apartments there. Am I right?

Old 02-25-2008, 10:48 AM

74 posts, read 384,643 times
Well, what are your priorities of the factors that you've listed? You're obviously flexible on the distance to Walmart, Sam's Club, etc. (which you'll have to be if you want to live in a somewhat lively, walkable neighborhood).

Silver Spring can be great, but it's a relatively large town (compared to, say, Bethesda) and has different sections to it that are quite different. Downtown SS would fulfill your walkable, lively neighborhood requirement.

Not so sure about a community pool. (Incidentally, I don't think any Montgomery County public pool facilities also have gyms in the same facility. When you say you want community gyms, are you talking about workout stations or basketball courts or what?) There are a couple of community pools in the area, including one in Kensington.

There's also a Metro in downtown SS, but your better bet to commute from SS to NIH would be the Ride-On bus. Taking the Metro from SS to NIH would require you to dip down into downtown DC and go back up to Rockville. There's a Ride-On bus that takes a much more direct path to NIH by going across East-West Highway.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:39 PM

NIH? When he said Gaithersburg, I assumed NIST. If Gaithersburg, then Betnhesda / N. Bethesda / Rockville is most likely to be what he wants.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:04 PM

Thanks,
I guess I caused some confusion. I will be working in Gaithersburg but also would need to commute between home and NIH.
I guess I will look into Rockville...

Old 02-26-2008, 07:12 AM

658 posts, read 1,590,647 times
I'm not sure what your budget is or what size place you are looking for, but the Washingtonian-Rio Center and Kentlands in Gaithersburg might also have what you are looking for. Both have a decent amount of restuarants, shops, and nice walkable paths and streets.

Rockville and Downtown Silver Spring are also good options as you would be going against traffic for work.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:08 AM

I can't believe I forgot the Kentlands. I was just over there an hour ago. That might work for you.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:05 PM

623 posts, read 800,504 times
Check out Kentlands. Lively, walkable, not too far from Metro, Wal-Mart in Germantown or Sam's Club in G'burg farther than Metro but not too far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland