U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2016, 10:55 PM

5 posts, read 1,936 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am planning to move to Chevy Chase MD for as part of new job. Any suggestion for a safe and good place to rent and commute easily to office ?
Can spend 1000 to 1400 as rent.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 11:08 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,019,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_user_1 View Post
Hi,

I am planning to move to Chevy Chase MD for as part of new job. Any suggestion for a safe and good place to rent and commute easily to office ?
Can spend 1000 to 1400 as rent.

Thanks
Check out zillow. There are some good options nearby, assuming you only need 1br and Class C is fine:
8207 Grubb Rd APT 101, Silver Spring, MD 20910 | Zillow
5410 Connecticut Ave NW APT 710, Washington, DC 20015 | Zillow
APT: 110 - The Glens on Battery Lane in Bethesda, MD | Zillow
1900 Lyttonsville Rd APT 1114, Silver Spring, MD 20910 | Zillow

Anything within a couple miles of Chevy Chase is going to be "safe" by almost anyone's standard. Try and live as close to the job as your budget allows as the region's traffic is terrible.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:01 PM

Default hi

what about a 2BR ? moving with family , and a new born kid

Old 12-16-2016, 02:19 AM

6 posts, read 4,944 times
Your budget is tight but perhaps doable at the higher end. Look in Silver Spring, Md, look at the Forest Glen neighborhood, The Blairs apartments, Takoma Park, Md, and even upper Northwest DC along the 16th St. corridor. Close to Metro increases the rent. There is no Metro stop in Chevy Chase so depending on where you are working, the closest Metro is Friendship Heights (on the DC border) or Bethesda. The Ride-on bus system is very reliable and we use it often between the Silver Spring Transit Station and the Friendship Heights Station along East-West Hwy and Connecticut Ave. which is why I suggested The Blairs apartment complex. If you want more space, you might look out towards Gaithersburg, Md but you will face heavy traffic and a tough commute by car.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:58 AM

2br for $1.4K is much, much tighter ($1K is impossible unless it's in a very questionable part of SEDC; you'd probably have to commute in from Baltimore or WVA to find something decent @ that price). Your budget is basically going to make your decision for you as there will be very little inventory to look at in Montgomery County.

The good news is the vast majority of Montgomery County is safe by most any measure, so even if it's an old apartment building in an immigrant/working class area you're not going to be constantly worrying about your family's safety. I'd recommend looking north of Chevy Chase, e.g. Aspen Hill or Glenmont areas. Looking too far east, e.g. Langley Park or Adelphi, would see an uptick in violent crime. I don't believe you'll find anything within your budget in the areas BaronsFan mentioned, e.g. the cheapest 2br at The Blairs is a $2K "economy" unit.

I'd also recommend reconsidering your budget, e.g. if your job is along a bus route then maybe you can get rid of the car and afford a nicer place along said route.

Old 12-16-2016, 05:56 PM

Default hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronsFan View Post
Your budget is tight but perhaps doable at the higher end. Look in Silver Spring, Md, look at the Forest Glen neighborhood, The Blairs apartments, Takoma Park, Md, and even upper Northwest DC along the 16th St. corridor. Close to Metro increases the rent. There is no Metro stop in Chevy Chase so depending on where you are working, the closest Metro is Friendship Heights (on the DC border) or Bethesda. The Ride-on bus system is very reliable and we use it often between the Silver Spring Transit Station and the Friendship Heights Station along East-West Hwy and Connecticut Ave. which is why I suggested The Blairs apartment complex. If you want more space, you might look out towards Gaithersburg, Md but you will face heavy traffic and a tough commute by car.
Thanks you for the inputs, basically work location is Geico office in chevy chase. Is there a metro available from Gaithersburg area ?

Old 12-16-2016, 05:58 PM

Default hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
2br for $1.4K is much, much tighter ($1K is impossible unless it's in a very questionable part of SEDC; you'd probably have to commute in from Baltimore or WVA to find something decent @ that price). Your budget is basically going to make your decision for you as there will be very little inventory to look at in Montgomery County.

The good news is the vast majority of Montgomery County is safe by most any measure, so even if it's an old apartment building in an immigrant/working class area you're not going to be constantly worrying about your family's safety. I'd recommend looking north of Chevy Chase, e.g. Aspen Hill or Glenmont areas. Looking too far east, e.g. Langley Park or Adelphi, would see an uptick in violent crime. I don't believe you'll find anything within your budget in the areas BaronsFan mentioned, e.g. the cheapest 2br at The Blairs is a $2K "economy" unit.

I'd also recommend reconsidering your budget, e.g. if your job is along a bus route then maybe you can get rid of the car and afford a nicer place along said route.
Thanks for the inputs, i can probably increase the budget to couple hundereds more ,work location will be GEICO office in Chevy chase. Any suggestions with this?

Old 12-17-2016, 11:59 AM

Yeah, adding a couple hundred more would go a long way. $1550-1650 gets you an older 2br in western Silver Spring or Grovesnor/White Flint. Both are safe areas and would be pretty easy commutes.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:52 PM

2,808 posts, read 3,793,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_user_1 View Post
Thanks you for the inputs, basically work location is Geico office in chevy chase. Is there a metro available from Gaithersburg area ?

Yes, GEICO is right beside the Friendship Heights (red line) metrorail station, which goes directly out to Shady Grove station (just a few miles from Gaithersburg). http://www.wmata.com

Old 12-28-2016, 06:22 PM

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Yes, GEICO is right beside the Friendship Heights (red line) metrorail station, which goes directly out to Shady Grove station (just a few miles from Gaithersburg). http://www.wmata.com
thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland