Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 11:36 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,083 times

Advertisements

Since more people are expected to be charged, possibly including lawmakers, this story should not go unremarked.

Yes, I know, it's highlighting negative news about PG, but if the county is ever going to shake off the corruption reputation there needs to be an unforgiving attitude toward such corruption. Good people are stigmatized by the actions of these clowns.

The part I find most remarkable is the stupidity of the double crossing, having agreed to become an FBI informant, and then snitching on the FBI, with such relatively small sums of money at stake, in the individual cases.

On the bright side............

From what I read, the Baltimore City Liquor Board is even worse than PG. Be thankful for small mercies!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.c96c40a45452

Reading this charging document for the Liquor Board Administrator (and former board member) you learn that some of the bribes date back to 2007, and relate to matters other than the Sunday License issue, which is the primary focus. One of the "confidential human sources" who secretly recorded meetings was a registered lobbyist with several clients who stood to benefit. Such lobbyists are also often practicing attorneys, so it's least possible that an attorney who appears before the board was snitching on their clients.
I guess that's beyond the bounds of attorney-client privilege, i.e the attorney is not bound if the activity is illegal.

David Sok Son criminal complaint - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 01:38 PM

Liquor commissioner resigns. Hogan says (elsewhere) he wouldn't be disappointed if they all resigned. Also says this may be an opportunity to reform the entire alcohol regulation process in Md. Good for him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...local-politics

Old 01-06-2017, 01:41 PM

662 posts, read 782,508 times
It is all just so dreadful. How do you get nominated? Are they just accepting anyone?

Old 01-06-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
It is all just so dreadful. How do you get nominated? Are they just accepting anyone?
Be a political schmooze, in cahoots with your local machine.

If you apply and get selected, remember me, I have a long list of favors I need doing.......

Old 01-07-2017, 08:52 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,806,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Be a political schmooze, in cahoots with your local machine.

If you apply and get selected, remember me, I have a long list of favors I need doing.......
Don’t forget who made you important….

Old 01-07-2017, 09:08 AM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
It will be interesting to find out who the former official and current Delegate waiting to be charged are.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:23 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,564,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It will be interesting to find out who the former official and current Delegate waiting to be charged are.
Agreed. It will come out soon enough. The good thing is that its come out and action is being taken. The only way the county will continue to move forward is to purge bad habits

Old 01-07-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
There are three PGC legislators on the Annapolis Economic Matters Committee, and I read somewhere that just one of them, (named) had voted in favor. Best not publicize the name because I can't remember where I read it.

The term "former elected official" casts a wider net and is a little harder to pinpoint, but is not without some usual suspects. One in particular.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:48 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Liquor commissioner resigns. Hogan says (elsewhere) he wouldn't be disappointed if they all resigned. Also says this may be an opportunity to reform the entire alcohol regulation process in Md. Good for him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...local-politics

I agree with him ,this could be a golden opportunity to straight out the liquor board.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:08 PM

The implication of the highlights below is that Son was in the bribery biz for at least four years. Zoning and developers are also in the picture.

Quote:
A man accused of facilitating bribes to elected officials in exchange for favorable action on legislation that would expand liquor sales in Prince George’s County was allowed to go home on Monday........

.........Authorities accuse him of facilitating three bribes to an elected official between 2012 and 2014 — while Son was a liquor board commissioner — and arranging bribes from a liquor store owner to that official and a state lawmaker in 2015 and 2016 for their work on legislation expanding alcohol sales.

Son also is accused of helping relay a bribe to an official to help a company with a zoning matter.......

.........A federal affidavit does not name the elected officials in the case but describes one as a former elected official who has arranged a plea deal for a more lenient sentence in the corruption investigation in exchange for becoming an informant. The charging affidavit describes the other official as a state delegate on the House Economic Matters Committee who voted in favor of the Sunday sales bill in 2015
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...21c77#comments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland