Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 02:41 AM

8 posts, read 5,829 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be moving over to work at Meade in about 3 weeks and have actively been seeking recommendations on the best places to live that is just right for me. I looked through the forums and have collected some notes, but I'm still looking for recommendations tailored to me.

1. I'm single and 26 years old

2. Looking for a location that is max 25 min. away from Fort Meade

3. Looking for a safe place with average/lower than average crime

4. Location where other single professionals tend to go. I'm not against a family suburbia, but would rather be with people like me.

5. Place that has some culture, bars and other social places. Would really like this considering I'm single.

6. Maybe a location that has a metro/train station nearby that links to D.C. / Baltimore? Maybe this can be the answer to a more social life?

7. A place that will not murder me with traffic when I'm trying to get to work. I realize that there is the possibility that I would be going against traffic since I would be heading to Meade rather than heading to D.C./Baltimore during the same peak traffic times.

I heard a couple recommendations from some people that I know. I originally thought Laurel was in an ideal location since it is between Baltimore and D.C., but several people really have been trying to sell me Annapolis, Crofton, Columbia, Gambrills. I had another individual recommend me College Park and Silver Springs, but I fear the commute to a degree.. Seems pretty far.

All assistance and recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 08:24 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,743,246 times
I would recommend Silver Spring or College Park. Both are booming (Silver Spring is a more developed with more mixed crowd, but College Park has a lot of new development coming soon) with bars/restaurants and have a lot to do in addition to be on/near Metro stops to DC. They are also not far from Ft. Meade and prices are pretty reasonable compared to DC.

Be careful though about "Silver Spring" as it covers a very very large area. A place may have a "Silver Spring" address but be out in Glenmont. What you want to look for are places in or close to "Downtown" Silver Spring which is the main business district.

Baltimore near Federal Hill and Fells Point areas may also be a good, but you may want to ask around in the Baltimore forum. Good Luck!

Old 03-04-2017, 08:48 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,455,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstar01 View Post
I will be moving over to work at Meade...
I'm still looking for recommendations tailored to me.

6. Maybe a location that has a metro/train station nearby
7. A place that will not murder me with traffic when I'm trying to get to work.

4. Location where other single professionals tend to go.
5. Place that has some culture, bars and other social places.

I'll suggest that you LIVE very close to the new job at Meade (for 1,3,6,7)...
and travel to DC & Baltimore & Annapolis in off hours (for 2,4,5)...
at least for the first year.

Make some friends and learn your way around and with that "tailored to you"
personal experience of the several options THEN make the choice of which is best.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:21 PM

2,172 posts, read 2,653,168 times
I live in and love Silver Spring, but wouldn't wish that commute on you. I'd go with south Baltimore (Federal Hill or Locust Point), personally. Columbia or Annapolis would work if you're not interested in a large city.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:29 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,789,889 times
Quote:
Hello,

I will be moving over to work at Meade in about 3 weeks and have actively been seeking recommendations on the best places to live that is just right for me. I looked through the forums and have collected some notes, but I'm still looking for recommendations tailored to me.

1. I'm single and 26 years old

4. Location where other single professionals tend to go. I'm not against a family suburbia, but would rather be with people like me.

5. Place that has some culture, bars and other social places. Would really like this considering I'm single.

6. Maybe a location that has a metro/train station nearby that links to D.C. / Baltimore? Maybe this can be the answer to a more social life?

7. A place that will not murder me with traffic when I'm trying to get to work. I realize that there is the possibility that I would be going against traffic since I would be heading to Meade rather than heading to D.C./Baltimore during the same peak traffic times.

I heard a couple recommendations from some people that I know. I originally thought Laurel was in an ideal location since it is between Baltimore and D.C., but several people really have been trying to sell me Annapolis, Crofton, Columbia, Gambrills. I had another individual recommend me College Park and Silver Springs, but I fear the commute to a degree.. Seems pretty far.

Your demands are high.. lol

silver spring is to far. I would recommend living in FT meade or living in severn, annapolis, Crofton or Laurel. Greenbelt is not bad but traffic wold be bad. Colombia and Savage are close also with less traffic.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the replies everybody.

Yea, I know the demands seem high. My job for the past 8 years has placed me in the middle of nowhere. Literally. They gave me the job here at Meade to basically make up for all of that. Okay, I think I can agree that SS may be a little far for the first year that I'm there. I'm not even familiar with the area so it may be better that I stay within the 20-25 minute radius of the location. Which of these towns has a train station or metro near it going to either Baltimore or D.C.? I realize the Uber reality won't work. These towns are still way too far. I think that public transportation like a train or metro would make sense. Not sure if they are linked by at least a train or not. Would be nice.

1. Columbia
2. Crofton
3. Severn
4. Laurel
5. Annapolis
6. Savage
7. Greenbelt (I think this does - Greenbelt line)

Also, I haven't heard anything about Greenbelt. Is that a decent place to live?

Oh all of these places listed, best place for a single person to live?

Also, these locations in Southern Baltimore, how is the traffic going from Southern Baltimore to Meade during the morning? Isn't this considered against the rush hour traffic?

Old 03-04-2017, 03:38 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,288,883 times
Agree, College Park and Silver Spring would be my recommendations based on what you're looking for. Check into Columbia too; while its a suburb, living near the Columbia Town Center is a little more your speed.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:01 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,789,889 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies everybody.

Yea, I know the demands seem high. My job for the past 8 years has placed me in the middle of nowhere. Literally. They gave me the job here at Meade to basically make up for all of that. Okay, I think I can agree that SS may be a little far for the first year that I'm there. I'm not even familiar with the area so it may be better that I stay within the 20-25 minute radius of the location. Which of these towns has a train station or metro near it going to either Baltimore or D.C.? I realize the Uber reality won't work. These towns are still way too far. I think that public transportation like a train or metro would make sense. Not sure if they are linked by at least a train or not. Would be nice.

1. Columbia
2. Crofton
3. Severn
4. Laurel
5. Annapolis
6. Savage
7. Greenbelt (I think this does - Greenbelt line)

Also, I haven't heard anything about Greenbelt. Is that a decent place to live?

Oh all of these places listed, best place for a single person to live?

Also, these locations in Southern Baltimore, how is the traffic going from Southern Baltimore to Meade during the morning? Isn't this considered against the rush hour traffic?
Greenbelt is nice mostly. Its conveient to Ft meade. I don’t know why people mention silver springs but its really out of th way. mabie its because of the nightlife. Laurel is good but idk if the bus goes to ft meade. Have u tried odenton or bowie? those both good areas near ft meade. btw odenton has a train near ft meade but looks expensive there.

Are you talking about ft meade? The military base?

Old 03-05-2017, 09:41 PM

3 posts, read 3,269 times
I am in the moving business locally so I am all over the area. Laurel is growing and has places to hang out. It is close and has a lot of new housing/apts. probably your best bet. You can hop a train to B-more of DC. crofton/odenton area is ok not too much to do Annapolis is far commute so is Sil Spring... traffic, Greenbelt I wouldn't bother.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:20 PM

Thank you for the input. Can someone explain the train system a little more. I tried finding the grid/map of where all the stops are. Is there a train system that goes through Columbia, connecting Baltimore and D.C.? Any connections going through Crofton, Bowie, Odenton, or Hanover? So from your post above ^, this train does go through Laurel? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland