Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 05:58 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times

Advertisements

I think is more what he means by historical records.

Maryland Economy - Income

CTRL + F for 1970 and you can see personal incomes from that year by county. Southern Maryland is isn't at the very bottom of the list, but not exactly tearing it up either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 06:08 PM

421 posts, read 287,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I think is more what he means by historical records.

Maryland Economy - Income

CTRL + F for 1970 and you can see personal incomes from that year by county. Southern Maryland is isn't at the very bottom of the list, but not exactly tearing it up either.
Once the slots stop ,they adjusted and went back to Tobacco and when that stop they went to real estate and Malls.As I said before there have been down times but again not as the poster is making it out to be.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:12 PM

45,324 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sunday View Post
I have ,check my links.
Ok, the links are about gambling. Nothing about the general rural poverty of the area, then (when it was really widespread) or now (where it's more hidden). I guess that somehow in your mind having slots meant everyone was rolling in cash.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Ok, the links are about gambling. Nothing about the general rural poverty of the area, then (when it was really widespread) or now (where it's more hidden). I guess that somehow in your mind having slots meant everyone was rolling in cash.

Never said that.But as the linked article said at the time Charles county was rolling in the money and manage to keep the property taxes the lowest in the state .

Washingtonpost.com:

from 1996...........

At their peak, the slot machines in Southern Maryland were said to gross $26 million a year, without adjusting for inflation. In Charles, the commissioners used revenue from the slots to make the county's real estate taxes the state's lowest -- and still produce a budget surplus.

So was everyone rich ,no, never said that.But your claim that the county was one of the poorest .....is just not true.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:15 PM

You're right, I'm wrong. All those sharecroppers and day laborers who lined up at the country stores for tobacco work were all secretly slots millionaires.

Having a low tax rate, for whatever reason, isn't a marker for poverty, especially when many of the residents didn't own property. It did, however, benefit those people who have buildings and roads named after them by keeping the taxes low on their plantations, errrr, farms.

As a note, Charles has the highest property tax rate, at $1.205/100, of all Maryland counties (Baltimore City is around $2.23).

Old 06-02-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
You're right, I'm wrong. All those sharecroppers and day laborers who lined up at the country stores for tobacco work were all secretly slots millionaires.

Having a low tax rate, for whatever reason, isn't a marker for poverty, especially when many of the residents didn't own property. It did, however, benefit those people who have buildings and roads named after them by keeping the taxes low on their plantations, errrr, farms.

As a note, Charles has the highest property tax rate, at $1.205/100, of all Maryland counties (Baltimore City is around $2.23).

I guess you just can't accept that you were incorrect.In the days when tobacco was the main crop of Charlies Calvert and St,Mary's ,yes there were "sharecroppers and day laborers "why, becuase they follow the crops around the country for work, that is the way farming works does not mean the county itself was poor. I see now I provide proof that the tax rates were low becuase Charles county had money at a time when you say they didn't and now it doesn't mean anything.(lol,yeah right).All so not sure if you're right on the tax assessments of today as compared to 1950's.Pretty sure PG is higher

at least according to this it is.........

https://smartasset.com/taxes/marylan...tax-calculator

income tax rate

Local Income Tax Rates

Old 06-04-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
I guess you just can't accept that you were incorrect.In the days when tobacco was the main crop of Charlies Calvert and St,Mary's ,yes there were "sharecroppers and day laborers "why, becuase they follow the crops around the country for work, that is the way farming works does not mean the county itself was poor. I see now I provide proof that the tax rates were low becuase Charles county had money at a time when you say they didn't and now it doesn't mean anything.(lol,yeah right).All so not sure if you're right on the tax assessments of today as compared to 1950's.Pretty sure PG is higher

at least according to this it is.........

https://smartasset.com/taxes/marylan...tax-calculator

income tax rate

Local Income Tax Rates
You're right, I'm wrong. Apparently, so is the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation. Better let them know.
Since you won't look, Prince George's property tax rate is $1/100 of assessed valuation, Charles', as I mentioned earlier, is $1.205/100.

No one mentioned income tax rates until now. Charles is 3.03%, Prince Georges is 3.20%.
https://www.payroll-taxes.com/state-...yland-counties

You haven't "proven" anything. You obviously don't know what is meant when a jurisdiction is classed as "poor". Hint: it has nothing to do with tax revenues.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
You're right, I'm wrong. Apparently, so is the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation. Better let them know.
Since you won't look, Prince George's property tax rate is $1/100 of assessed valuation, Charles', as I mentioned earlier, is $1.205/100.

No one mentioned income tax rates until now. Charles is 3.03%, Prince Georges is 3.20%.
https://www.payroll-taxes.com/state-...yland-counties

You haven't "proven" anything. You obviously don't know what is meant when a jurisdiction is classed as "poor". Hint: it has nothing to do with tax revenues.

Nice way to pick and chose.The rates you are showing are about today ,not back in the 50's,60's 70's which is what we were talking about or at least I was ,sorry if you couldn't follow or understand that.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Nice way to pick and chose.The rates you are showing are about today ,not back in the 50's,60's 70's which is what we were talking about or at least I was ,sorry if you couldn't follow or understand that.
No, you responded to my statement that, while Charles had the lowest property tax rate in the state in the 1950s, today it's the highest.

You then told me I was wrong, that Prince George's is higher (it isn't) and then threw in local income tax, which is higher in PG.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:37 AM

63 posts, read 102,245 times
Well spoken, er texted, gentlemen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland