U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 07:13 AM

15 posts, read 30,144 times

Advertisements

Hello all-

I'm looking to relocate from the Waldorf area to either St. Mary's County or Calvert County in the next year or two. I'm looking at the Huntingtown area in Calvert and anywhere from Mechanicsville to Leonardtown in St. Mary's County.

Right now, it seems like you can get a newer house for a little less money in the areas I'm looking at in St. Mary's County compared to Huntingtown in Calvert. The schools in my area of consideration of both counties seem to have similar ratings on GreatSchools.org.

Can anyone recommend one area/county over another?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 09:52 AM

41,527 posts, read 54,095,362 times
Where are you working? The commute will be, or may/should be a fairly large component of your decision.

Another piece is that St. Mary's is a bit more rural than Calvert, although Huntingtown is fairly rural (meaning the fields around it have goose blinds and the woods have deer stands as well as still having a significant subset of farmers). Will you have culture shock?

Old 05-22-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Where are you working? The commute will be, or may/should be a fairly large component of your decision.

Another piece is that St. Mary's is a bit more rural than Calvert, although Huntingtown is fairly rural (meaning the fields around it have goose blinds and the woods have deer stands as well as still having a significant subset of farmers). Will you have culture shock?

I work in DC, but I only have to go into the office two days a week, so the commute isn't really a factor.

I'm not really worried about a culture shock either. I've lived in the Waldorf area for a long time now and I just can't stand it anymore. Waldorf's issues have been mentioned in other threads in this forum, so I won't get into it too much, but I'm looking to get away from those issues. I'm looking to move my family away from the culture of Waldorf.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovtWorker View Post
I work in DC, but I only have to go into the office two days a week, so the commute isn't really a factor.

I'm not really worried about a culture shock either. I've lived in the Waldorf area for a long time now and I just can't stand it anymore. Waldorf's issues have been mentioned in other threads in this forum, so I won't get into it too much, but I'm looking to get away from those issues. I'm looking to move my family away from the culture of Waldorf.
By culture shock I more meant that Waldorf is more convenient for things like getting groceries. Not so much in Calvert or, especially, St. Mary's.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:05 PM

210 posts, read 1,104,537 times
I have to say that we moved from VA in May of 2016. Been living here in Lexington Park. As for being convenience with shopping)food especially) we have absolutely no problems. Several Weis grocery stores (former Food Lion), Giant, Aldies, Shoppers Warehouse, BJ's (like Sams Club or Costco) The Pax River NAS commissary if you have base access not to mention Walmart and McKays plus many specialty stores. As for major retailers they are all pretty much here, No Macy's but that is the only one I can think of we don't have. Dinning out, same thing. You name it, it's here. With that being said I miss living in the Shenandoah Valley near Charlottesville, and hope to move back but I've been to Waldorf, heard the stories and I don't blame you for heading another way. The southern end of ST Marys is rural but it isn't the boonies. Always something going on in Leonardtown for activities. You're not that far. Come check it out. You can also check out Somd.com. They have a form on there .

Old 05-23-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdshiflett View Post
I have to say that we moved from VA in May of 2016. Been living here in Lexington Park. As for being convenience with shopping)food especially) we have absolutely no problems. Several Weis grocery stores (former Food Lion), Giant, Aldies, Shoppers Warehouse, BJ's (like Sams Club or Costco) The Pax River NAS commissary if you have base access not to mention Walmart and McKays plus many specialty stores. As for major retailers they are all pretty much here, No Macy's but that is the only one I can think of we don't have. Dinning out, same thing. You name it, it's here. With that being said I miss living in the Shenandoah Valley near Charlottesville, and hope to move back but I've been to Waldorf, heard the stories and I don't blame you for heading another way. The southern end of ST Marys is rural but it isn't the boonies. Always something going on in Leonardtown for activities. You're not that far. Come check it out. You can also check out Somd.com. They have a form on there .
Thanks for your post! I'll definitely have to check out Somd.com. I've only ever been to PAX River NAS for work. I have family that lives north of Leonardtown and they said not to look at homes south of Leonardtown because those areas are getting to be more like Waldorf. Is this true or have you noticed any problems in the Lexington Park area?

Old 05-23-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovtWorker View Post
Thanks for your post! I'll definitely have to check out Somd.com. I've only ever been to PAX River NAS for work. I have family that lives north of Leonardtown and they said not to look at homes south of Leonardtown because those areas are getting to be more like Waldorf. Is this true or have you noticed any problems in the Lexington Park area?
I think they meant around Lexington Park, there's a lot of County south of Leonardtown.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:32 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,813,841 times
Some areas of Calvert and St. Mary's are no better than Waldorf. Maybe less congested, however there are a lot of neighborhoods in both of these counties that have a lot of crime as well.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:38 PM

341 posts, read 384,608 times
Sounds as though you should hold tight until you can leave the region altogether.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:55 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,321,299 times
Calvert County is closer to D.C but St.Mary's county has more stores. Honestly Calvert County need to get better in regards to this, they lack a Target and Best Buy (2 basic stores every county should have) Overall I'd say much of Calvert County (mainly north of Prince Frederick) feels more like an exurb of D.C whereas St.Mary's county feels more like it's own community. St.Mary's county is a bit more affordable I think but like I said it is pretty isolated. Calvert County does have Chesapeake beach, and Calvert Cliffs which are nice getaways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland