Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 08:47 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times

Advertisements

this is not good.

it wouldn't take too many instances like this for NH to get a reputation as a place you'd prefer to stay away from.

Quote:
Dozens of dirt bikes and ATVs descended on the busy shopping and entertainment area in Prince George’s County at about 8 p.m., police and National Harbor officials said. Officers attempted to pull riders over and stop them, but they ignored authorities, speeding through streets and sidewalks for about 30 minutes before clearing out, police said.
Dozens of illegal dirt bikes, ATVs choke the streets of National Harbor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 09:17 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,569,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
this is not good.

it wouldn't take too many instances like this for NH to get a reputation as a place you'd prefer to stay away from.
I'm not sure why you said this isn't good for National Harbor. This isn't a National Harbor problem. This is a D.C. problem. If you watched the newscast or read anything about the problem, they ride all throughout D.C. and are from D.C. They drove on the Mall. They drive all over N.E. DC. One video from an office building somewhere in showed them riding in D.C.

So, should people stay away from the Mall in D.C. too? It has only happened twice at N.H. but it happens almost every week somewhere in DC. I've witnessed it myself on 7th ST. in DC.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:24 AM

341 posts, read 423,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I'm not sure why you said this isn't good for National Harbor. This isn't a National Harbor problem. This is a D.C. problem. If you watched the newscast or read anything about the problem, they ride all throughout D.C. and are from D.C. They drove on the Mall. They drive all over N.E. DC. One video from an office building somewhere in showed them riding in D.C.

So, should people stay away from the Mall in D.C. too? It has only happened twice at N.H. but it happens almost every week somewhere in DC. I've witnessed it myself on 7th ST. in DC.

Disagree. People look at every opportunity to disparage PG county, and though it may be unfair, incidents like this will confirm the prejudice. I don't care what they do in DC. DC has a built in resilience and we don't. The issue is all the investment that will underperform if enforcement is lax.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:26 AM

720 posts, read 1,554,771 times
This only happens in the Summer when school's out. I doubt this is going to ruin the reputation of National harbor

Old 06-27-2017, 09:28 AM

341 posts, read 423,950 times
How can they afford them? Just think of how buying those scoots has impacted their savings for college!

Old 06-27-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghead View Post
Disagree. People look at every opportunity to disparage PG county, and though it may be unfair, incidents like this will confirm the prejudice. I don't care what they do in DC. DC has a built in resilience and we don't. The issue is all the investment that will underperform if enforcement is lax.
Who are these people and do we care? People will troll PG county if it was the wealthiest county in the world. Doesn't matter. This won't affect National Harbor one bit. It doesn't happen on a daily basis.

Second, they ride all throughout DC. So, shouldn't we also believe that this will be bad for DC as well? Hell, they rode through the National Mall. Yet, nobody said, "Well, this could be bad for the National Mall." lol

But as far as PG trolls, they will be trolls no matter what. They are insignificant. It is a problem that D.C. has to control because that's where they originate.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:38 AM

2,193 posts, read 2,688,552 times
Quote:

Except the expectations for DC and NH are different. NH, like many suburbs, is meant to be a respite from "the big city" and its perceived and real social ills. If it's not/gets a reputation as being unsafe then a substantial number of people will simply go to one of the many other town center suburbs instead, I'd think.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:53 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:

because it isn't? and because national harbor was their targeted area?

yeah I'm well aware they are in other parts of the DC area.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Except the expectations for DC and NH are different. NH, like many suburbs, is meant to be a respite from "the big city" and its perceived and real social ills. If it's not/gets a reputation as being unsafe then a substantial number of people will simply go to one of the many other town center suburbs instead, I'd think.
ANd what happens when the riders go to those places? Will people stay in their homes? I think people jump the gun and draw conclusions based off of a few events that happen.

Look what happened in Downtown Silver Spring. You had gang fights almost every year. You go there now, it looks as if those things never happened. People didn't abandon Downtown Silver Spring.

Trust me, the authorities will get a handle on it. Money talks. National Harbor is private property and includes MGM. You can best believe they won't be riding through there very much longer.

Unfortunately, the fines are not that hefty for riding an unauthorized vehicle on the streets. So even if they did get fined, they'd just pay and continue to ride.

I'm not sure what the fines are. BUt if they add reckless endangerment, they might be able to confiscate the bikes. Who knows. But this will only become a problem if the authorities allow it to be. Money will make sure it isn't a problem.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
because it isn't? and because national harbor was their targeted area?

yeah I'm well aware they are in other parts of the DC area.
How do you know NH was their targeted area? Are you one of them? They weren't seen anywhere else that day? They just popped out of the bushes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland