Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 02:43 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
What do u mean?
Relax, the Monkey County name has been around for years; not racist. When I was a child (1960s), Montgomery County was white, waspy and rich. But it was called Monkey County even back then. Long before this MoCo tag became popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 06:35 AM

17 posts, read 41,296 times
Most folks here do not understand the tax burden fully. The responses here (and in threads similar to this) show that quite clearly.

PPT/Car Tax - Every time a comparison between MD's county tax and VA is brought up, people throw up the whole PPT/Car tax that's there in VA. Yes, it is. So? 4.57% of $50K (and that's a real expensive car) is a lot less than 3.2% of ...potentially a much higher number. And the car tax is subsidized for the first $20K, and goes DOWN every year. The county income tax in MD never goes down, and if you make more money (which you would think is the objective), the tax goes up.

Property Tax rates are higher in VA - Yes. By 0.01%. None of the folks here have looked at their recent rates. MD = 1.15%. VA = 1.16%

Car insurance - Cheaper in VA
Electricity rates - Cheaper in VA (~11 cents vs ~14.7 cents)
Food costs - approx the same, but VA has sales tax on food. Minor amount.
Buying a house? - MD will ********* over in closing costs. For a $1M home, the difference is almost $10K.
Schools? - Montgomery county and Fairfax county schools are equally good.
College? - VA is miles ahead.

I could go on...

If you're in the lower percentile of income earners, the difference is minuscule to none. For anything over $100K/yr the gap starts widening in favor of VA. For anything over $250K/yr, you better be running to VA.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:18 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
What would this forum be without a good ole fashioned MD vs. VA thread?

Old 08-08-2017, 07:27 AM

341 posts, read 423,663 times
Yeah yeah yeah. I wish I had the problem of buying a $1M home. When the $300K home in MD would cost $1M in VA, you don't really think about tax considerations so much as what you can comfortably afford.

That being said, yes, Maryland tax is too high.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:45 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
What would this forum be without a good ole fashioned MD vs. VA thread?
All that's missing is one about Is Maryland Southern.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghead View Post
Yeah yeah yeah. I wish I had the problem of buying a $1M home. When the $300K home in MD would cost $1M in VA, you don't really think about tax considerations so much as what you can comfortably afford.

That being said, yes, Maryland tax is too high.
Too high for who though? I could see if we had high taxes and had nothing to show for it. But Maryland as a state is a great place to live and ranks high on many lists in terms of schools, diversity, healthcare, etc.

I would gladly pay more taxes if it meant that my fellow Marylanders received great benefits. I don't care how high my taxes are. I will NEVER live in VA. Maryland My Maryland!

Maryland ranks above VA in all these categories. So, when you say taxes are too high in Maryland, at least we're getting a good return.

Healthcare
Best and worst states for health care - CBS News

Educational Attainment
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nal_attainment
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ings/education

Best States Overall
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

Old 08-08-2017, 08:16 AM

17 posts, read 41,296 times
See...this is what I'm talking about. Everybody has a "subjective" opinion about why MD or VA. Taxes are not subjective, they are objective. It's all math, either it's more than VA or not. There's no "too high or too low".

Old 08-08-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post
See...this is what I'm talking about. Everybody has a "subjective" opinion about why MD or VA. Taxes are not subjective, they are objective. It's all math, either it's more than VA or not. There's no "too high or too low".
Hence the title of this thread.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Too high for who though? I could see if we had high taxes and had nothing to show for it. But Maryland as a state is a great place to live and ranks high on many lists in terms of schools, diversity, healthcare, etc.

I would gladly pay more taxes if it meant that my fellow Marylanders received great benefits. I don't care how high my taxes are. I will NEVER live in VA. Maryland My Maryland!

Maryland ranks above VA in all these categories. So, when you say taxes are too high in Maryland, at least we're getting a good return.

Healthcare
Best and worst states for health care - CBS News

Educational Attainment
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nal_attainment
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ings/education

Best States Overall
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings
Schools in PG. HAH!
Diversity is somewhat lopsided in some places.
Healthcare would cost the same for me.
And don't get me started on the damned roads.

"I don't care how high my taxes are." This is probably a minority opinion. I like my money.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:14 AM

By the way, if Maryland would like to reduce county tax in favor of a PPT, that's fine by me. I drive used cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland