Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 10:04 AM

150 posts, read 298,279 times

Advertisements

We were *this close* to moving to Downtown Silver Spring from Northern Virginia. (We want to live in a walkable area and be closer to the city.) Then a friend pointed out the income tax difference. Holy cow! It's an extra 3.2% compared to all of Virginia, which at our income level amounts to hundreds of dollars per paycheck. It has left me wondering why on earth people choose the Maryland side of the river over Virginia.

And yet, millions do choose it, which means something is making it worth hundreds more every month. Please share what those things are, because I was really excited about this move. I'm not a person who is mad about paying taxes in general. I believe in it. But are there more government services in MoCo or something? What the heck is all that money paying for that we Virginians are apparently missing out on by keeping our 3.2%?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 10:46 AM

341 posts, read 423,950 times
According to Google, Alexandria where I'd like to live is at 5.75% compared to PG's 3.2%.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:58 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slclady View Post
What makes Montgomery County worth the (marginally higher increment in) taxes?
Holy cow! It's an extra 3.2% compared to all of Virginia...
1) don't compare to "all of VA" ...just the DC suburbs
2) the "worth" (beyond location convenience to specific job locations and such)...
is that the costs/prices tend to filter out those who need to worry about marginal increments.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:00 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,569,405 times
Quote:
We were *this close* to moving to Downtown Silver Spring from Northern Virginia. (We want to live in a walkable area and be closer to the city.) Then a friend pointed out the income tax difference. Holy cow! It's an extra 3.2% compared to all of Virginia, which at our income level amounts to hundreds of dollars per paycheck. It has left me wondering why on earth people choose the Maryland side of the river over Virginia.

And yet, millions do choose it, which means something is making it worth hundreds more every month. Please share what those things are, because I was really excited about this move. I'm not a person who is mad about paying taxes in general. I believe in it. But are there more government services in MoCo or something? What the heck is all that money paying for that we Virginians are apparently missing out on by keeping our 3.2%?
First of all, you're comparing income taxes as an average in the entire state of VA to one county in MD? How about comparing apples to apples; county by county? Second, Montgomery County's taxes (14.7)%) are lower than Fairfax, VA (15.1%) as a share of income and only .6% more than Loudoun County (14.1%).

https://www.brookings.edu/interactiv...n-your-county/

If you want to compare states, MD taxes as a whole are only .37% higher than VA. So, I'm not really understanding your post. You'd think people MD were paying the highest taxes in the country.

https://taxfoundation.org/state-and-...ax-rates-2016/

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 07-31-2017 at 11:12 AM..

Old 07-31-2017, 11:32 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,807,735 times
Quote:

I mean they got a bag tax to

Old 07-31-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
1) don't compare to "all of VA" ...just the DC suburbs
2) the "worth" (beyond location convenience to specific job locations and such)...
is that the costs/prices tend to filter out those who need to worry about marginal increments.
1) Income tax doesn't vary by county in Virginia, because they only have a state income tax. Maryland has a state income tax AND a county tax that varies by county. That's why I can compare MoCo's total income tax to any place in Virginia.

2) First of all, NoVa is just as convenient to DC (where my husband works). They just don't tax us an extra 3.2% to live here. But also, I just said that at our income level, the difference is hundreds of dollars PER PAYCHECK. Who exactly are you filtering out? Everyone who makes less than $500k?

3) Snobbiness isn't "worth". It's a turnoff.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghead View Post
According to Google, Alexandria where I'd like to live is at 5.75% compared to PG's 3.2%.
That's because if you live in Alexandria, you're only paying VA state income tax of 5.75%. If you live in PG, you're paying Maryland's state income tax of 5.75% AND PG county's income tax of 3.2%. Virginia counties don't take income tax, only the state does.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
First of all, you're comparing income taxes as an average in the entire state of VA to one county in MD? How about comparing apples to apples; county by county? Second, Montgomery County's taxes (14.7)%) are lower than Fairfax, VA (15.1%) as a share of income and only .6% more than Loudoun County (14.1%).

If you want to compare states, MD taxes as a whole are only .37% higher than VA. So, I'm not really understanding your post. You'd think people MD were paying the highest taxes in the country.

Again, Virginia counties don't take an additional income tax. We only pay federal and state here. In Maryland you're paying federal, state, AND county income tax (which the state collects as a courtesy to the counties, from what I've read).

I'm not sure how Brookings got those numbers. Gonna look at that map more closely, because whatever else is involved in those numbers, they ARE encouraging for my goals. I just know that our income tax doesn't vary by county over here.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post

Looks like that map is only comparing FEDERAL income tax burdens. It's not accounting for state or county income taxes.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-fr...nty-by-county/

Old 07-31-2017, 11:54 AM

I did find this, though. It looks like the overall tax burden sort of evens out between Montgomery and Fairfax, mainly because of Virginia's personal property tax on vehicles.

Report Finds Tax Burden in Montgomery County Ranks in Middle of Local Jurisdictions - Bethesda Beat - Bethesda, MD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland