U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-02-2017, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Tucson
341 posts, read 292,988 times
Reputation: 275
Another needless accident happened this morning, this time a motorcycle slamming into the back of a car resulting in the fatality of the motorcyclist. This happened just after midnight, but the response impacted Indian Head with bailout traffic well past 6 AM.


I don't see how anyone can chalk this up to anything but recklessness. But there does need to be an inquiry into contributing factors that keep racking up a toll on this stretch of highway, as well as the lack of alternatives to Indian Head. The bailout traffic always creates a big old mess. Also, is it wrong of me to wonder why it takes so long to clean up after an accident? It's not just an inconvenience, it's a safety concern: the backups and bailouts contribute to more accidents.


So again, alternatives. A condition of the Casino should have been to exclusively fund rail to Fort Washington. But that's none of my business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2017, 08:32 AM
 
Location: It's in the name!
5,968 posts, read 7,164,236 times
Reputation: 2405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghead View Post
Another needless accident happened this morning, this time a motorcycle slamming into the back of a car resulting in the fatality of the motorcyclist. This happened just after midnight, but the response impacted Indian Head with bailout traffic well past 6 AM.


I don't see how anyone can chalk this up to anything but recklessness. But there does need to be an inquiry into contributing factors that keep racking up a toll on this stretch of highway, as well as the lack of alternatives to Indian Head. The bailout traffic always creates a big old mess. Also, is it wrong of me to wonder why it takes so long to clean up after an accident? It's not just an inconvenience, it's a safety concern: the backups and bailouts contribute to more accidents.


So again, alternatives. A condition of the Casino should have been to exclusively fund rail to Fort Washington. But that's none of my business.

Are there no speed cameras? On 295 before you get to 495 near the water plant, a single camera has slowed down traffic successfully. Mainly because the fine was $100. Not sure if it is still that much today.

All you need is two or three cameras along a 3 mile stretch at $100 a pop and I'm sure the recklessness will cease. That's one case where cameras can be used for safety and not just revenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2017, 10:58 AM
 
15,824 posts, read 5,758,580 times
Reputation: 6130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghead View Post
Another needless accident happened this morning, this time a motorcycle slamming into the back of a car resulting in the fatality of the motorcyclist. This happened just after midnight, but the response impacted Indian Head with bailout traffic well past 6 AM.


I don't see how anyone can chalk this up to anything but recklessness. But there does need to be an inquiry into contributing factors that keep racking up a toll on this stretch of highway, as well as the lack of alternatives to Indian Head. The bailout traffic always creates a big old mess. Also, is it wrong of me to wonder why it takes so long to clean up after an accident? It's not just an inconvenience, it's a safety concern: the backups and bailouts contribute to more accidents.


So again, alternatives. A condition of the Casino should have been to exclusively fund rail to Fort Washington. But that's none of my business.

Why Fort Washington,why not all the way down to Indian Head ?Be a great scenic ride to and from DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2017, 01:35 PM
 
Location: todo el mundo!!
1,590 posts, read 1,168,214 times
Reputation: 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Are there no speed cameras? On 295 before you get to 495 near the water plant, a single camera has slowed down traffic successfully. Mainly because the fine was $100. Not sure if it is still that much today.

All you need is two or three cameras along a 3 mile stretch at $100 a pop and I'm sure the recklessness will cease. That's one case where cameras can be used for safety and not just revenue.
tbh nobody really cares about that. It may help but they need more then cameras that flash to get crazy ppl to slow down. street lighting is good to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2017, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Tucson
341 posts, read 292,988 times
Reputation: 275
The other day I watched a motorcyclist stop and cover his rear license plate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2017, 02:55 PM
 
3,627 posts, read 5,162,055 times
Reputation: 3668
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Why Fort Washington,why not all the way down to Indian Head ?Be a great scenic ride to and from DC.
LOL. The small population around Indian Head / western charles doesnt even come close to supporting a profitable rail system. Especially since theres no existing right of way path to put it, as there already is along route 301 by comparison. Heck, it will be 15- 20 years before the big city of Waldorf- White plains gets a commuter rail, and even then, theyre saying it will be a slow 45 minute rail trip from White Plains to Branch Ave metro station with all the stops figured in.

Last edited by slowlane3; 08-02-2017 at 03:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2017, 03:12 PM
 
3,627 posts, read 5,162,055 times
Reputation: 3668
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Are there no speed cameras? On 295 before you get to 495 near the water plant, a single camera has slowed down traffic successfully. Mainly because the fine was $100. Not sure if it is still that much today.

All you need is two or three cameras along a 3 mile stretch at $100 a pop and I'm sure the recklessness will cease. That's one case where cameras can be used for safety and not just revenue.
Those 2 cameras on both northbound and southbound 295 that you mentioned (in a 50 mph zone) are actually the most profitable in all of D. C. and bring in the most revenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2017, 03:24 PM
 
3,363 posts, read 3,435,511 times
Reputation: 4036
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
LOL. The small population around Indian Head / western charles doesnt even come close to supporting a profitable rail system. Especially since theres no existing right of way path to put it, as there already is along route 301 by comparison. Heck, it will be 15- 20 years before the big city of Waldorf- White plains gets a commuter rail, and even then, theyre saying it will be a slow 45 minute rail trip from White Plains to Branch Ave metro station with all the stops figured in.
'Profitable Rail System' There is an Oxymoron. No commuter rail system is profitable. It is just a matter of how much subsidy they require.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2017, 03:35 PM
 
15,824 posts, read 5,758,580 times
Reputation: 6130
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
LOL. The small population around Indian Head / western charles doesnt even come close to supporting a profitable rail system. Especially since theres no existing right of way path to put it, as there already is along route 301 by comparison. Heck, it will be 15- 20 years before the big city of Waldorf- White plains gets a commuter rail, and even then, theyre saying it will be a slow 45 minute rail trip from White Plains to Branch Ave metro station with all the stops figured in.
Well ,that's not what I heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2017, 03:37 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
34,557 posts, read 43,673,095 times
Reputation: 44420
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Well ,that's not what I heard.
What did you hear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top