Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2018, 09:31 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times

Advertisements

Another sign Amazon HQ2 is coming to the DC area. Banks like to follow the money. Coincidence?

Quote:
WASHINGTON — JPMorgan Chase will enter the area’s retail banking business as part of its plans to expand to 15 to 20 new markets over the next five years.

JPMorgan Chase has 5,130 Chase Bank branches in 23 states currently, but no retail branches in the D.C. area.

While it hasn’t specified any branch locations, JPMorgan Chase said it will open up to 70 new branches and hire 700 employees in Virginia, Maryland and the District.

https://wtop.com/business-finance/20...nches/slide/1/

PS

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/he...hq2-2018-04-18

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 04-19-2018 at 10:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 03:33 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Another sign Amazon HQ2 is coming to the DC area. Banks like to follow the money. Coincidence?

PS

They want the labor force talent. Labor force talent, labor force talent, labor force talent.

SF is purposely not a part of the top 20 finalists. That leaves DC, Boston, and New York metropolitan areas as the clear top 3, and that is not even factoring things in like transit, in which those cities also lead in and may be top 3 of the finalists remaining.

Unless they have some trick up their sleeve or just truly feel like those three options will "cost" their business and employees too much. There would be no reason that they choose outside of DC, Boston, or NY metro. And if going by that premise of those three metro areas remaining, DC can do more for Amazon than the other two.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:03 AM

This was bound to happen. THe stakes are too high.

Quote:
But in the Washington region — where D.C., Northern Virginia and Montgomery County all emerged as finalists for HQ2 — elected officials recently set aside the fierce competition that usually comes with corporate relocations and instead settled on a more cooperative message: It doesn’t matter which of the three jurisdictions Amazon picks for HQ2, just as long as it picks the region.

“We recognize that if one of our jurisdictions earns the honor of being selected for HQ2, we all win,” wrote Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam and D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser in a joint letter they sent to to Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos early March. “And Amazon will win, too, by harnessing the combined strengths of Greater Washington and all that our three jurisdictions offer, helping further transform our dynamic region.”
https://wamu.org/story/18/04/19/hey-...re-amazon-hq2/

Old 04-20-2018, 08:00 AM

662 posts, read 782,508 times
Quote:
This was bound to happen. THe stakes are too high.

https://wamu.org/story/18/04/19/hey-...re-amazon-hq2/
That's actually great.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:02 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:

PS

I seriously doubt this is tied to Amazon; this would be a natural move for a NYC-based bank which is among the nation's largest and frankly I'm surprised they don't already have a substantial presence in the DC area.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I seriously doubt this is tied to Amazon; this would be a natural move for a NYC-based bank which is among the nation's largest and frankly I'm surprised they don't already have a substantial presence in the DC area.
Timing seems awfully suspect though. Like yourself, I wondered why they didn't have a presence here either. They are looking to expand into 15 - 20 markets. Amazon has 20 finalists. Hmmmmm.

I know. I know. It's a stretch.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:34 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Timing seems awfully suspect though. Like yourself, I wondered why they didn't have a presence here either. They are looking to expand into 15 - 20 markets. Amazon has 20 finalists. Hmmmmm.

Ya think?

Old 04-24-2018, 08:32 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:

LOL. I wonder what the other markets are.

But of course, this move makes financial sense for the bank whether the region lands HQ2 or not.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:59 PM

8 posts, read 8,609 times
Well, just to clarify. Amazon has partnered with Berkshire Hathaway and JP Morgan as they look to disrupt the healthcare market. It makes sense that JPM would look “coincidently” fill out this region just in time for HQ2.

Old 04-28-2018, 01:40 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJon 2017 View Post
Well, just to clarify. Amazon has partnered with Berkshire Hathaway and JP Morgan as they look to disrupt the healthcare market. It makes sense that JPM would look “coincidently” fill out this region just in time for HQ2.
As in Boston and Atlanta ........................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland