Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2017, 12:29 PM

6 posts, read 10,425 times

Advertisements

Our family is moving to NCR spring of 2018. My wife will work at the Pentagon and I will be at Fort Meade. Any suggestions on where to live that has good schools and recommended transportation options to Pentagon?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 06:35 PM

4,357 posts, read 4,192,420 times
That could be dicey although Silver Spring might work.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:28 PM

2,172 posts, read 2,653,168 times
There's no good answer, considering how far apart they are. There's also no good answer since you didn't give us any info, e.g. what your budget is or how much room you need. If you're talking about $2M+ budget for a 3+ br house then I'd say Bethesda/Chevy Chase. If you're talking about $300K for a 3+ br house then I'd suggest rethinking the entire plan.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:41 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,366,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
There are plenty of options for commuting to the Pentagon
Not so many for commuting to Fort Meade. If you don't want to drive the best option is probably a van pool.
The MARC train from DC to Baltimore (Penn Line) stops in Odenton. There's a shuttle from the Odenton MARC station to Ft. Meade that stops several places on base. See Welcome to Meade Ride | MeadeRide for different Ft. Meade commuting options.

Although we are a NoVA forum, I recommend you and your wife consider living in Maryland to split up the commuting time required. (I see you also posted in the MD forum.) The Pentagon can be reached by the Metro Blue Line. The MARC train originates from Union Station downtown and stops in New Carrolton (inside the I-495 beltway) as well as Seabrook (outside the beltway). Housing prices are likely to be somewhat cheaper though your taxes will be higher. There are many decent places to live east of the beltway though you will need to research the neighborhoods carefully as some areas can be sketchier.

I usually recommend using Zillow to screen buys and rental real estate. If you don’t know the area, use Trulia. Trulia’s Local Scoop feature will provide you with a color coded overview of the area to see real estate price trends, crime etc. As far as schools go, many people use https://www.greatschools.org/ to screen schools. Don’t take that as gospel, it’s a starting point.

When you find a property you may be interested in, CD’s main site provides statistics from state to city down to the microneighborhood area. Then, you can ask specific questions in the appropriate CD subforum.

Welcome to the DC metro area.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:46 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,366,677 times
Note: I posted a previous answer (I just pasted it in again) which stayed up for a few minutes and then disappeared entirely, along with previous poster djplourd's answer. Weird ......

Old 10-28-2017, 08:04 AM

44,886 posts, read 59,869,542 times
I know a few people down here in Calvert where one goes to the Pentagon and one to Annapolis. The second certainly isn't Meade but it's most of the way there. So it is doable.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:06 PM

6 posts, read 10,425 times
I apologize for leaving out some important details. We plan to rent as we will most likely only live there 2-3 years. Our budget is between $3-4K a month. Looking for at least 3br/2ba and 2 car garage. We have a middle school aged child so good schools are important to us. I am more familiar with NOVA areas but no very little about Maryland. My initial thoughts are to live in NOVA so my wife has a shorter commute to the Pentagon and I will make the long drive to Ft. Meade. I appreciate all the feedback you can provide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland