U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 11:58 AM

8 posts, read 16,610 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My wife has accepted a position in Riverdale and we'll be locating in probably 2 -3 months. Since we'd like to keep our costs fairly sane and since there are just 2 of us we're thinking of a 1 bedroom 1 bath condo or townhouse somewhere around 900 square feet or so. We'd like to keep it at or under 200K if possible We do have a large dog (a Chessie) as well as a cat, so has to be somewhere that allows pets. Are there any areas that we should be sure to avoid?

It looked like Laurel and Columbia both had a fair amount of places in that price range. It appears that Laurel has easy MARC access, but don't know about Columbia. Since I don't yet have a position (I'll be looking for an IT gig) I don't know if I'll be commuting toward DC or toward Baltimore. one of these cities have commuting advantages over the other?

My wife actually went to undergraduate at the U of Maryland, so she knows what she's getting into, but I'm originally from Idaho and for the last year Montana, so know I'll be in for a bit of culture shock. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 01:08 PM

350 posts, read 1,490,041 times
Columbia has pretty easy Marc access as well, Dorsey Station is on rte 100.
If you choose Laurel, I'd avoid the areas that are right off rte 1- there's a lot of traffic in that area, and it gets kinda hectic, unless you know the back ways. Also, check the crime logs- some apt. complexes are better than others.
In Columbia, I'd stear clear of any apts complexes along on Tamar Dr.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:35 PM

Hey Jessy,

Thanks for the quick response. You don't by any chance have a link to where I could check the crime logs do you?

Thanks Again!

Old 03-18-2008, 01:36 PM

38 posts, read 127,287 times
it's pretty easy to get to a marc station from either of those areas. from columbia, depending on which part you lived, you could go to dorsey station (as mention in previous post) or jump on rt. 32 and be at the odenton station in about 15 minutes.

you'd be more likely to use the marc train going to d.c. than baltimore...it's easier to drive in b-more. driving the d.c. commute is horrendous (statistically one of the worst in the country). i've been taking the marc train (penn line) from bwi airport into d.c. for the last 8 years...it's a great way to go.

check out elkridge and ellicott city too.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:27 AM

350 posts, read 1,490,041 times
This is to the Howard County crime bulletin on the police department's website-

Howard County Police Department: Daily Crime Report

Old 03-19-2008, 09:16 AM

Hi Jessy and Jack,

Thank you for the information it's very helpful. I always like to go into a situation with a little research under my belt, so your assistance is extremely valuable to me.

Thanks Again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland