Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 09:55 AM

9 posts, read 12,527 times

Advertisements

You can live in Pleasentville, where everyone can walk around at night singing coombaya with their hundred dollar bills in their hands if you have the money. Seriously, if this interests you, I'd consider Kentlands or the new Rio town center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 10:04 PM

137 posts, read 268,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
If everyone moves out because they think the schools are not good, and lower income/ESL students move in to take their places, then guess what? The schools will keep on a downward spiral. You know the schools are not the problem, and usually the teachers are not the problem either. MCPS is a very highly ranking school district. As long as you read to your child and teach your child to be a good learner, he or she will do well in school and will learn a lot.
Tarp THANK YOU for this!

The suggestions and opinion here are great but one must have to see through what people are saying and what is driving what they're saying about an area,a school system to make an informed decision.
'
Words and phrases such as "rundown", "immigration level is increasing","crime-ridden", "second langauge" all are suspicious to me when people throw them around. In every of the nation's best universities, the great students are not always from just one race or just from the upperclass. This nation has been the greatest nation on earth for over a 100 years now and we can all agree that every race, class and nationality played a role in building it and sustaining it. And I don't see any going back; yet, some people condemn a city, a neighborhood or a school system because of its makeup or lack thereoff. We all also know that criminals and murderers come from every race, class, educational level and nationality and I don't need to list list here.

People need to be honest and realistic with themselves when they seek suggestions/recommendations and when they give them. There's always Montana, Idaho or Alaska or Utah to move to but the last time I checked, those states are not doing better than the rest of the states, they;re not doing better than other countries such as South Korea, Finland or even India in educ.ational achievement of students.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:44 PM

137 posts, read 268,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iseedustbunnies View Post
I moved here for the job opportunities. It is a county that lacks a community feel.Due to its size and high population diversity you may feel a sense of disconnect.While you cannot argue its public transportation or high educational rankings, the area is unfriendly.As you move about you will see that Montgomery County has placed low income housing within communities. That creates large pockets of students at the schools who will take on street behavior to deal with their issues and perhaps to gain respect of sorts within a wealthier group of classmates. Many cannot afford the housing and rent parts of their homes or have multiple families in a home.Very common, be it Rockville or Damascus.Gaithersburg and Montgomery Village suffer from gangs though it may not appear as obvious as more worn down areas such as Wheaton. I do regret my move and plan to move elsewhere for these, and many more, reasons, when the short sales quit impacting the value of resale.
As I understand from your post, you're a working person like me and the rest of us, which means that job opportunity drives where we move to and live. So my questions are, you'll keep moving to avoid certain people as you described them above, right? What if, as a working person, you run out of places to avoid "those" people but you must work to live, what would you do then?

When people say here "avoid Silver Spring, avoid this place or that place" I cannot help but wonder and ask, so everyone must avoid Chicago, Los Angeles, NY, DC or Houston because of a small neigborhood with issues in those great cities, right? There are plenty open spaces in Alaska, Montana, Idaho to live and avoid the "others" but why are those states so empty?

The whole world is becoming diverse, multicultural, dense, and urbanized and boundaryless and if people are so afraid of "others", how realistic can they function in the US and the world at large? I think that we have to face the reality that there'll always be rich,poor, educated/uneducated, dark, white, brown and criminals and good people and they just don't come from one group.

For those who believe in creationism, why not we ask the creator why he created these undesirables along with us? And for those who believe in evolution, we should ask why the life evolved to have these people?

The upperclass can hide and avoid but they still have to come into town for somethings and eventually, they'll run into "those people" or the undesirable "other." Last time I checked, there are crimes, evil and murders behind manson walls as well.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:54 PM

202 posts, read 347,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ1 View Post
Tarp THANK YOU for this!This nation has been the greatest nation on earth for over a 100 years now and we can all agree that every race, class and nationality played a role in building it and sustaining it. And I don't see any going back; yet, some people condemn a city, a neighborhood or a school system because of its makeup or lack .
Just over 100 years? Wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland