Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 11:13 AM

64 posts, read 59,383 times

Advertisements

Now that the county offices are moving to Largo, should the circuit and district courts move as well? If so where should they move to and what would you do with the campus in upper Marlboro?

At first I would say put the courthouses in Largo to continue with the downtown theme, but I am not sure if there will be any space left once the hospital is built. If it's closer to 202 then it seems like it will be a hike from the metro station. The federal courthouse is in Greenbelt along with some law firms, but that sits away from the metro station as well. New Carrollton may be an option as well. The other district court is in Hyattsville. Cost will be an issue I am sure moving them in addition to the county history of having the county seat in upper Marlboro.

As far as the buildings left in upper Marlboro I was thinking something like a college may work. Maybe a large specialty high school or something. Maybe make it a commercial and entertainment area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 12:11 PM

22 posts, read 21,171 times
Largo is nice and centrally located. I know there are development plans for the area around the Boulevard at the Capital Center; would there be space near there?

In terms of "if" they should move, I saw this on GGWash earlier: https://ggwash.org/view/66362/half-o...t-to-jury-duty Seems like Largo would be a good choice to make the courts more accessible to more residents.

Last edited by willow_hiller; 02-28-2018 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: URL formatting

Old 02-28-2018, 01:18 PM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Is the plan to designate Largo as the County Seat, that would seem to be the next step as county seats are defined as the administrative center of a county? The capital of a county as it were.

Keep in mind that if the Courts move you'll also have to have room for the bail bond guys to set up shop.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow_hiller View Post
Largo is nice and centrally located. I know there are development plans for the area around the Boulevard at the Capital Center; would there be space near there?

In terms of "if" they should move, I saw this on GGWash earlier: https://ggwash.org/view/66362/half-o...t-to-jury-duty Seems like Largo would be a good choice to make the courts more accessible to more residents.
I think there would be space there, but i thought that space was already reserved for commercial and residential development though. The hospital will be huge though and i'm sure there will be medical offices built around it as well. I think Largo would be a good choice, but you would have to build up and tear down some of those single story commercial offices. Morgan Blvd is close by Largo, 1 metro stop away. That could work.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Is the plan to designate Largo as the County Seat, that would seem to be the next step as county seats are defined as the administrative center of a county? The capital of a county as it were.

Keep in mind that if the Courts move you'll also have to have room for the bail bond guys to set up shop.
Not sure if they want to change it but it would make sense if the county government and the courthouse is there. Yes, there would be a lot of legal businesses and law firms relocating to the area if that happened. It would go a long way in creating a viable urban place.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVmyman View Post
Not sure if they want to change it but it would make sense if the county government and the courthouse is there. Yes, there would be a lot of legal businesses and law firms relocating to the area if that happened. It would go a long way in creating a viable urban place.
In any event the Legislature would have to authorize any move of the Courts from Upper Marlboro. Good luck with that.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:25 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
DT Upper Marlboro is pretty sad these days. Wouldn't making Largo the county seat force it to become an incorporated city?

Old 03-03-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
DT Upper Marlboro is pretty sad these days. Wouldn't making Largo the county seat force it to become an incorporated city?
Not really. Prince Frederick is the county seat of Calvert and is unincorporated. Towson is unincorporated as is Ellicott City for Baltimore County and Howard County respectively. The rest of the county seats are incorporated.

The reason, or one of the reasons, downtown Upper Marlboro is "sad" is because it's basically been taken over by County government and activities related to it.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:20 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not really. Prince Frederick is the county seat of Calvert and is unincorporated. Towson is unincorporated as is Ellicott City for Baltimore County and Howard County respectively. The rest of the county seats are incorporated.

The reason, or one of the reasons, downtown Upper Marlboro is "sad" is because it's basically been taken over by County government and activities related to it.
True, for some reason I thought Prince Frederick and Ellicott City where incorporated. Anyway it's a shame DT Upper Marlboro has gone downhill. I remember when I was a kid it was awesome. Small town suburb seems like it should have some "hipster" appeal.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:40 AM

662 posts, read 782,508 times
Yes. I think they would put more housing there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland