U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:23 AM

7,338 posts, read 9,194,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallie2 View Post
Olney is pretty, less pretentious than potomac.
... and a much long commute to go with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 10:51 AM

2 posts, read 3,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankLaw View Post
I live in Potomac and work in downtown DC. I live closer to I-270 than you will, and that allows me the option of driving to a Metro and taking that into town. When I used to do that, it would take me 50 minutes to an hour, door to door.

Now I drive to work. Usually, I take the I-270 to the Beltway to Cabin John Parkway/Clara Barton/Canal Road.

When I drive my son to school, I take River Road to Little Falls (actually, there's another side rioad just before Little Falls, but I forget what it's called) to Massachusetts straight into downtown.

There are points where you'll back up, and it's never a real easy commute, but it's do-able. You should expect to spend about an hour in the car each way during rush hour.

Along the River Road route, the problem points are going to be:

(1) Where River meets Little Falls (which is why I bail out just before that point)
(2) Where Massachusetts meets Western Ave (but it's not that bad)
(3) Where Massachusetts meets Nebraska
(4) Where Massachusetts meets Wisconsin (this intersection can get pretty bad)
(5) Massachusetts as you approach Dupont Circle

Best case scenario, with no traffic at all, you should be able to get to the office in 30 minutes.

Worst case, it'll take you as much as an hour and twenty.
I am in a similar situation to AMT...relocating to the D.C. Area and considering Potomac. Frank's reply was very helpful (thank you).

Frank, how difficult was your commute when you drove to the Metro? Was parking at the Metro station difficult? Which station did you drive to/park at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland